• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A watched waiting list never boils

Lincs Lass

Well, after some personal problems that are not of any interest to this diary - I was referred to Derby in April/May time. I had my first appointment on 7 August (day after my car was written off in an accident so had to borrow one) when I saw one of the consultant's minions, the anaesthetist and the dietitican. I was told I'd get an appointment in 3 months time and if I hadn't put on weight and was in the right mindset then I could go on the list.

My 2nd appointment was with the dietician 21 December and everything went great so she was going to pass my file to the consultant and he would get me on the waiting list. Thanks to an agreement Derby has with Lincs PCT funding is already in place.

So, just that waiting now. The dietician told me that they have to say to people to expect to wait for up to a year to cover themselves - but I believe it is currently about 7 months.

So, just got to wait. And wait. And wait :cry::D

:cry: Sounds like you are on the right side of the wait now though. Hopefully won't be much longer for you :) This bariatric surgery lark is definitely a waiting (and jumping through hoops) game...

Fingers & ties crossed that the wait list isn't too long for you Lincs Lass. I go to my second app with the dietician next week & hope to see some dates put in front of me as I am fed up telling close family "I don't know when ...". Whenever i have informed friends and family most thought that it would be all happening straight after Christmas:8855: I wish:rolleyes:

It goes fast sell the end bit ive been waiting since June going private and wont get into debt over it. And now in the final countdown. It will be here sooner than you Think. Good luck hune

I'm on the waiting bench also. It's quite frustrating when the postman walks by without any mail from your local hospital. But bare with, keep on track with the calorie count and before you know it, you'll be told to start your liver diet. All the best.

Waiting is such a pain, but believe me the time will fly by.

Just try take the time to prepare your mind and body for a life changing experience.

Good Luck.

SN

by the time you have gone to one appt after the next your time will fly by your on the right side of the waiting list so thats a good start :)

I'm also on the waiting list at derby, iv been on it for just over 3 months, I did call them the other week to see about waiting times and was told that they have just taken on an extra surgeon and are now taking the nessacery steps to bring down the waiting time they are working every weekend for the foreseeable future and was told that the weekend before 7 bypasses were done and that the waiting list as it stands is about 5-6 months but they have to say a year so people arnt dissapointed if there are delays, she also explained how the waiting times can change weekly due to annual leave, emergency surgerys which require the operating theatre and also people who puts on weight and are taken off the waiting list, there's alot of thing that factor into how long the waiting list is
I do hope your lucky and don't have to wait to long, these 3 months have flown by for me, and I just hope the waiting times come down abit more and my surgery hurrys up I can't wait for my new life

Thank you all so very much for your messages.

Wow, Kirstyjade - thank you so much and great to hear from someone who is so close to me in time and at the same hospital. Do you know that Mr Ahmed is going to do your surgery or have you listed him as he is the lead consultant?

I saw Mr Das when I had my first appointment but that was while Mr Ahmed was on compassionate leave.

I haven't had the letter yet to say I'm on the list but Jacqui was more than happy when I saw on the 21st so just depends when she can put my file under Mr Ahmed's nose and for him to say ok.

Slimming World have just started a Saturday morning class near me so may have to join that to make sure I lose some more pre-op as I'd hate to fall at the last hurdle x

I saw mr Ahmed at my app but iv been told anyone of the surgeons could be doing my surgery depending on who's in/available on that day, I really would prefer mr Ahmed to do my surgery I think he's lovely and I completely trust him as he's very experience with the bypass,
I was really lucky getting onto the waiting list because I had my 1st appointment in September but the consultant had an emergency so I only saw the dietician Rita and I was told to go back in 2 weeks and in that 2 weeks I lost 10lb so mr Ahmed put me on the waiting list straight away so instead of having wait and come back in the 3 months time it only took me 2 weeks which I do feel very lucky for and I just hope I can keep the weight off so I don't set myself back after iv come so far so quickly

Hi I am at close - my op is Feb but no date (waiting for my letter). I have struggled to keep off my weight, and have put on however I have been lucky enough to get loads of cambridge diet stuff from my friend. Tomorrow is my new start and I am focused. Only need 8lb off. I can do this! Think the waiting time messes with your head, roller coaster of emotional eating and then motivating times. Best of luck x

Well done on that Kirsty! Brilliant for you being in the right place at the right time. Good for you xx

Hope you get your letter soon Borogirl x

Ohhhhh I am soooo impatient.

I can't wait to get started on my new life. My birthday is in May and it would be great to be beginning my new life by my 45th birthday but I think that'd be pushing it a bit.

I'm really jealous of you Kirsty and trying to not be resentful as that's the way the cookie crumbles as no doubt there were a handful of other people in the same position as you that day which means I'm that amount of people further down the list.

BUT that's not meant as a personal thing, just me being irrational and resentful and impatient! It's not like if I'd been in that position I would have insisted on not coming back for another 3 months :-D Seriously, good luck to you. Just me opening up to my diary.

I called Sunderland today and no date yet - they have said I would recieve a call oppose to a letter. Day 2 on Cambridge diet, mixing it with eating meat. I did lighter life before and I cant go back to no food at all, think I have more chance of sticking to it if I have some chicken and prawns! Waiiting for the ketosis headache to kick in. I know its not ideal to loose eight like this but I cant believe how much I have put on over Xmas and my body needs a shock!!

I went walking today as normal and both sides of my shins were aching. Not sure what's happened, but I didn't go that far today. **sore**

Google shin splints Joe. I had it when I was being active and doing Zumba. My hubby ran the London marathon and he could walk better than me after it. Exceptionally painful. Maybe try swimming?

No confidence for swimming. Maybe just a gentle walk tomorrow and see how I go. May change my location of activity, see how that goes.

Stick with it Borogirl. I'm waiting to hear too - should be sometime soon hopefully for both of us. I need to get of the half stone I put on after the balloon was removed... so back on Slimming World til the op date comes through...

Yes. Can't mess up now after all of this time. Ere is wishing the best to all of us about to start our new journey x

Back