• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A watched waiting list never boils

Hi I was put on the list in June, was told December, but saw them end of November as now have a hernia, I was told I'd be lucky to get a date through before February. But with the bed shortage over Christmas with the noro virus I'm now thinking I'll be lucky if its April :(

Do other people find that the op/waiting is on their mind almost 24 hours a day or is it just be obsessed?? xx

Do other people find that the op/waiting is on their mind almost 24 hours a day or is it just be obsessed?? xx
bless you I am soon to be in the same position and I am sure that I will be the same. Dont worry its like anything the more you want something the longer it takes to get it

Ax

I went walking today as normal and both sides of my shins were aching. Not sure what's happened, but I didn't go that far today. **sore**

Sounds like shin splints to me, which if I remember correctly caused by using parts that haven't been used in a while. Best cure, is keep exercising, gently!

Yep I am exactly the same and I am so glad that I'm not the only one:hug99:
It is an all consuming obsession that has me scouring the Internet gleaning every bit of info I can ... Think I am driving my hubby batty too as our world seems to be revolving around eating, diets and surgery ... We do though however look past that to a brighter healthier future :D

All the waiting must depend on where you live.

I saw my Dr end of August 2012, 1st hospital appointment was the end of September. Since then the time has flown by. Saw the surgeon yesterday the 4th January 2013 and my op has been set for the 14th January. Not even 6 months from day one.

Once you are in the right frame of mind for this journey and funding is available it seems unfair that you get held up. Good Luck to you all and hopefully the waiting will not be as long as you are told. x

That's fantastic Angela - only 9 days to go!!!

I'm going shopping with a friend in Skeggy later and she wants to go to Yours. I am going to look but not buy as I just want to 'use up' the big clothes I have and then move in to smaller!

Good luck all of you with your journeys and hope any health problems are overcome xx

My first appointment was in May 2011, I think by the time I actually get surgery it will have taken nearly 2 years :( I have to say I am thoroughly disengaged with the whole process. I feel like my life has been on hold. I actually feel like it will never happen how :(

My first appointment was in May 2011, I think by the time I actually get surgery it will have taken nearly 2 years :( I have to say I am thoroughly disengaged with the whole process. I feel like my life has been on hold. I actually feel like it will never happen how :(

Thats awful pemhead. :patback:So what has been the hold up and where are you based?
I asked my GP 4 years ago about surgery and was flatly told nope Scotland dosent have a bariatric service which I have just found out wasn't technicaly true as they did. It was just that he couldn't refer me. It had to come from somewhere higher up the chain so to speak. That news was devastating to me and after that I was so downright depressed. I just gave up hope.
Dont give up .. miracles happen ;)
Have you made enquiries as to why it is taking so long? x

You can't really enquire, on the bottom of each letter you get they say DO NOT CONTACT US, WE WILL CONTACT YOU WITH DATES. If you do ring they are very off with you. Has completely put me off getting in touch tbh. The consultant said I've been unlucky because when I started the process there was a huge back log and because I'm not a priority people who need surgery more than me keep pushing me down the list :-( worst thing is I'd gone to a private place to see about private surgery and they said did you know you would be able to have NHS so I went down that path, if I'd gone with private I'd be poorer but thinner now!

I had my bypass with mr leeder at derby in September. I waited two years from referral to treatment. Don't be put off, keep ringing. I got pals involved, as I was told conflicting information constantly.

If your on the list no one should be put in front of you, regardless of their co morbidities. Give PALS a ring and get them to look into things for you. As soon as I got them involved, I had a date for surgery a month later.

The process is all consuming and does take over every aspect of your life. But this helps prepare you for life post surgery. Don't give up, keep on at them :)

It has really made me think how lucky I am! So many people lead a merry dance to get funding for surgery. I acknowledge a lot of people believe WLS to be cosmetic :( but that is a lack of understanding and the media really dont help with their Fat is Lazy attitude.

WLS is a last resort for us and to make someone wait is just downright wrong! Once a Dr agrees that you are ready and able to cope with the surgery it should not be held up.

Think positive and eventually everything comes to he/she who waits. Lets hope the waiting time reduces once the NHS figure out just how much they save in the long run by carrying out these operations for the people who are ready for it.

Thanks Paula, do you know how I get in touch with them?

Were you happy with Mr Leeder and your surgery?

Thanks Paula, do you know how I get in touch with them?

Were you happy with Mr Leeder and your surgery?

You can ring the main switchboard at the hospital and ask to be put through to the PALS office. They don't open till 10am and only work Monday to Friday. I was more than happy with Mr Leeder, he is an excellent surgeon and takes very good care of his patients. The staff on the ward are lovely too. I was looked after very well. I can't fault them in any way.

I called Sunderland today and no date yet - they have said I would recieve a call oppose to a letter. Day 2 on Cambridge diet, mixing it with eating meat. I did lighter life before and I cant go back to no food at all, think I have more chance of sticking to it if I have some chicken and prawns! Waiiting for the ketosis headache to kick in. I know its not ideal to loose eight like this but I cant believe how much I have put on over Xmas and my body needs a shock!!

I am too on the waiting list at Sunderland,when were you told that your supposed to get the op I've been told march/April 2013. ,who's your consultant?

Back