• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Took your advice... been refered to Aberdeen

bookwormy

Hi after listening to advise given from you lovley ladies spoke to my gP and she reffered me to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary to see the chappie there, he has recently taken over from my local hospital who usually do banding and bypass, been moved to aberdeen as the local chap has retired. I have a couple of querys and wondered if any of you banders could help me sort it out ?
Lady I know has had a band for about a year now and she only eats soup, one of those little heinz pots you buy in 4s from supermarket. She also has a large hernia on the site of the port. Sooo question 1 is I could not survive eating soup for a year, pretty dotty now:eek: but would be jumping in the spey if I had to do that, is this normal ?
question2 is Are hernias normal in this sort of surgery ?
And I am sure you will think what a nana but what is "dumping" have came across the term while doing my homework and dont understand this at all. Still a newbee but have read loads of your posts and great to have a huge base of such friendly info, I live a bit far away from most of you as I am in the north east of scotland, anybody else out there from this neck of the mountains:p

:welcome2:Hi there, I'm pre op for banding but I've not heard of anyone being on soup for a year and as for the hernia some surgeons repair them while you're in theatre but I've not heard of the band causing them. I may be wrong but I'm sure someone will be along soon to educate us both lol. xx Gaynor xx

yep I would jump in the Spey too if I was only on soup in a years time!...I would say there is something wrong in the soup dept...do you know why she only eats soup? is it all she can physically eat ? if so I would have concerns regarding her band tightness/fill level. as for the Hernia...thats not something thats cropped up in any of the research I have done into banding (I researched on and off for a year and was banded 2 weeks ago)...did she have her banding done on the NHS and do you have any idea why she hasn't had her hernia fixed? is it an external hernia - in that its visible on the surface ?

As for dumping thats not something banders have thnkfully...I will leave it to a bypasser to explain as they will explain it far better than me

Hi there all, wellMrs Cakeybun, all i can tell you is that she told me that all she can eat is soup! Seems very odd and that the hernia was not there before her op she hopes to be getting a repair soon. I must say her info did worry me a trifle ( oops pardon the pun ) we were at a family bar b que and speaking about banding and she told us she had lost 7 stone but could only eat soup, which she was eating at the time. Don't know too much about her other than sha had type 2 diabetis now I am a bit of a carb junkie and could eat for scotland but don't have much of a sweet tooth. it's bread and cheese all the way for me. but not bought soup, yuk!

Well I think there are some serious issues with her diet no-one one here who has gone past the post-op diet restrictions is living on soup...they all eat a normal diet all be it very small amounts....
I have bought 2 lovely cookery books that are specifically for post weigh loss surgery.
I'm just moving off the liquid stage (2 weeks after my op) on to thick liquids and purees so I'm having a few teaspoonful of Houmous and taramasalata some runny scrambled egg and for supper some Chinese chicken and sweetcorn soup (liquidised as the pieces are quite large)
In a week or so I will be onto soft foods...thicker scrambled egg, cottage pie, fish pie...mash potato and cheese bananas in custard, ground rice pudding, savoury mince....
you can see what sorts of foods I am eating and will be eating in the post op stage before moving on to normal foods. I want to tell you this so it helps you understand that normal eating will be very possible and you can eat again no problem just tiny amounts :D

by the way Mrs cakeybun, I am from hertfordshire myself, cheshunt, but have not lived their for 28 years. just a thought

gosh not far away from Welwyn Garden City where I am :D

I had an aunt in welwyn, unfortunatly she was a traffic warden! Congrats by the way on super weight loss, you must be delighted. It has put my mind at rest by telling me how you will eat normally. I have to be quite careful with what I do that may put me out of action as mu Other Half is terminally ill and relies on me quite a lot. He has asbestosis. I must be able to look after his medication etc. reading everyones posts has been a help in what to expect, Thankyou

I will bump the thread on how ill you feel after surgery so you can see how you would be....Im so sorry to hear about your other 1/2 that must be incredibly stressful for you...last year my hubby and I cared for his father who had terminal cancer and 18 years ago my ex and I nursed his mum with Motor Neurone Disease till the end...I fully understand how horrible stressful it is...take care of yourself xxxxx

I was doing a blog and will up date it over the next few days if you like so you can see whats been eaten as I have kept a diary most days:eek:

you can see my pre-op blog if you click in my profile column

Back