• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Abroad for surgery?

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Yes people have gone abroad for surgery.

Some have had a very good experience and some not so much!

Is it the cost here thats making you think about going abroad?

Sorry, I don't know where you are from but have you considered the NHS route?

plynch

I live in Edinburgh. I'm considering going abroad (but within Europe) because I discovered a surgeon who has far more experience than any other UK surgeon as well having the lowest post op complication rate. It's mainly for that reason.

Price is thankfully not too big of an issue but again it appears to still be cheaper. I found it interesting that a more experienced Doctor was charging less than UK hospitals.

I was hoping to hear of any other experiences from people regarding the travel back after operation and their general experience.

J.Hogan

I've chosen Bruges for my surgery. My surgery is on 9th April. Really nervous about it too but I believe I will have a much better lifestyle. I asked on another forum about traveling home after the operation and most people said that they found a hot water bottle helped ease the pain.

ASQ

I have been searching for your clinic Clare do you know the website?

I'm not Clare but believe this is the website of the French surgeon who Clare had her mini bypass with: google "gastric band france"

(APOLS -- removed link -- WLSurgery policy) ..... try lots of *various* google searches **

I am a regular follower of Clare's "revision" story (and others) and I have bookmarked links of various French, Belgian and other European surgeons as and when they have been mentioned.

Good luck with your search.

====================================================

** Other clinics and providers are available -- e.g. try also other google searches:

"gastric sleeve Belgium / Brussels"
"gastric bypass Czech Republic / France"

lots of variations on a variety of European countries will bring you up a host of clinic options.

Last edited: