• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice about pre op at Taunton please

I am following the diet in the information booklet. They didn't mention slimfast as an option and I didn't ask about it as I would rather have food. You should ask when you the dietitian.

Thank you.

I saw there was a bit on the hospital website about slimfast is an option. I have my group session then so I can enquire more. I may find it easier with the kids and not much time, but then again I will have to do that after the op!

Ok had my group session yesterday and the reality of not eating a decent meal ever again is starting to panic me. I have been so focussed on the surgery side I hadn't given enough thought to the after and it's just a tool side of things.
Be great to hear that it isn't too awful on the other side, please..

You will be able to eat a 'decent' meal again Tea Towel, just a different, more normal size decent meal, not the size that you are used to. I know for me that its my decent sized meals that have got me to the point where I need the surgery.

I personally can't imagine not being able to or wanting to eat the portion sizes I currently do, but from what I have read from everyone else its true! I am also finding it difficult to imagine what the early stages will be like, and have given up. It is such a drastic change to the way I currently live that I can't get my head around it. Honestly, despite the panic and the sense of loss about stabbing my friend food in the back, I am excited about it and really looking forward to not carrying this extra person around with me all the time. It's tiring.

That's good to hear mrs flump, thanks.

Lorna thanks for reminding me it's not just me that thinks this, and maybe I am just over analysing trying to imagine and need to just do it.

My pre-op is next wednesday.
I have put on since Exeter but they are ok with that yeah, as long as weight goes down from there to op yeah?
Last week to have a fling with food! X

What they said to me was not to gain after pre-op. I think that with the short-time frame between the pre-op and the operation which they seem to have, taking into account the two week liver shrinking diet you would have to eat an awful lot of c**p food to gain.

I know the liver shrinking diet is going to be tough. I was worried as I put on quite a bit of weight I had to lose for Exeter.

Still not 100% sure what op to have either. Not from research but more from being purely indecisive.

Were there many tests on you at the pre-op?

Ps thanks for sharing your info Lorna

Hi Tea Towel,

This is what happens/who you see at the pre-op (in no particular order):
bood test
ecg
anesthetist
anesthetists nurse
dietician
surgeon
and someone else I can't remember!

Everyone is really nice. The surgeon will discuss the best choices for you, when I was there, there was another patient who was also unsure what op to have. Mr Mahon spent quite a bit of time with her. I am aware from the RD&E and information at the support group that the RNY is their preferred option, but of course, your current weight and health issues would also be taken into account.

Thank you for the info.
Funny in January was the first time a bypass was mentioned and the doctor said why it maybe a good option. However some of the reasons he gave for not banding seemed to have been sorted through the surgeons.
I really don't like the thought of the fills and although not diabetic yet they have told me I will be. Therefore the bypass is better. But then if I lose weight the chances drops anyway! Ahhh.
At the Taunton session they were trying to be very balanced between them.
I didn't like the fact your hunger hormones come back after 18 months either.
Thinking bypass and then it's done and dusted but still need to think through more before Wednesday. Xx

some of my posts havnt posted either!! so annoying...
anyways iam also going to taunton hospital ive had the referral and fasting bloods taken just waiting to hear back now. How long until things start to move along? i really dont know what to expect myself when i go there.
thanks xx so nice to find some-one whos going to the same hospital. :)

Hi

Is that your initial referral?

I went to Exeter for my initial stuff till I gt the funding.
I have my pre op this pm. Eek. Then it should be within 6 weeks.

Are you doing the whole lot through Taunton? X

hi sorry for the late reply im still trying to work this whole site out i only joined yesturday! yes im going to taunton for all of mine.
im very nervous but excited at the same time.
when you have your first visit to the hospital does alot happen at the first meeting or is it just alot of blood tests and forms ect.
my doctor referred me but the hospital rang him to say i needed bloods done before i go in to them.
hope i made sense lol. xx

Umm well I went to Exeter once they accepted me from the GP referral.
I had already done the blood tests with my health centre.
My first appointment they decided whether they thought I was suitable and I targets to hit etc. The lady before was not and I have never heard anyone cry so loudly and long before so I was a little anxious when I went in.
They have to check you are committed etc to it as it's only a "tool". You will hear that a lot.
Hope this may help. Probably be over a year before surgery so I had to try and put out of my mind.
However the Taunton team I have seen so far are really really lovely x

Ok
I am basing my timings on you as I am three weeks behind you. So I could get my date later this week.
Just want the date to plan. Your pre-op starts on Monday then? Soon comes round. You having any last meals this week?

Liver shrinking diet started yesterday as its for two weeks. I had a lovely roast dinner on Sunday as my 'last meal' and must admit to having had a KFC on Friday after a bottle and a half of red!

Well, I have dropped 6lbs in 2 days due to all the water your body gets rid off! Its not been too bad, I am aware of feeling hungry and missing carbs bit not in an awful way. I may stuggle more as the week goes on, but its not for long.

Back