• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice from 'mature' post oppers please ;)

Flickalicious

Bit of a weirdy! XD
Hey everyone,
I'd like some of your opinions please :)

Im currently 24 and have my op booked for 12th November. A few of my friends, although supportive, are saying I'm "too young" to have surgery and that i wont be able to enjoy life to the full anymore.
They don't get that actually my life is on hold, I have PCOS and am classed as subfertile (because we already have a son), but both my husband and I are deperate for more children...

What I want to know anyway is, if you had the chance to have surgery at my age, would you? Or are you glad you waited?

Ive been given a gift and im not wasting this opportunity but I'd like to know your thoughts :) Thank you, Flick x

Wish I'd done it in my 20's! Life really begins after weight loss surgery it doesn't end!

oh flick i really wish this band was around in my 20`s or even in my 30`s because i would have had it my life i think would really have been so different so i think grab this with both hands and change your life for the better

Not too young love. Go for it. Wish I hadn't wasted 30 years of my life waiting to lose weight xxx

I'm 33 and had my surgery at 31. I wish I'd had the surgery earlier definitely :)

I was a fat young adult, my weight floating all over the 200s. I'm now 48, and If I could have had the surgery at your age I'd have jumped it at. I wasted all those years by not living my life as much as I could have, by making poor choices (because I felt that was the best I could do, it wasn't), etc.

If you're ready for it, go for it. Don't doom yourself to a life of "what could have been" by saying no if you're ready to take the plunge.

Remember, it is the things you don't do that you'll most regret when you're old.

I can kinda see what they're getting at, some people my age are still going out drinking every weekend, eating takeaways every other day that kind of thing and all without responsibilities - great! Not that I can do that anyway bringing up two boys, one 2, the other 25 lol! They've got no idea..

I cant wait to be slim, fit my butt in a chair WITH armrests, dress like a woman, not a tent and ultimately have another miracle grow inside me :)

Can you still enjoy nights out post op? Perhaps a meal at a restaurant or a drink in the pub?

This has been one of my worries also. Anyone out there that have had the bypass for years??? Could give some insight!
X

I hope I dont sound naive asking that lol

Ive been dieting on & off constantly for as long as I can remember, seriously, starving myself at the age of 10 - eating toilet roll, yes toilet roll! Because I was soo upset that I was fat. Been depressed and suicidal since my teens. Tried every diet going and have still gained more and more weight.
It got ridiculous, my mum is bigger than me and I watch her struggle with every aspect of life. I cant bare to be like that 30 years from now and im soo glad to be given the chance.

Thank you all for your comments, you've helped me realise that I am doing the right thing!! :)

Ok, well I was 30 when I had my op. My life wasn't on hold at all, I had a fab life. I had the op so I could continue to have a good and long life. It never once crossed my mind that I was too young, but I did think that some of the enjoyment from my life would be gone forever. Good news is, that is a load of crap! The first 2 or 3 months post op are tough, I'm not going to sugar coat it. But after that life gets quite back to (new) normal, and the things you have always enjoyed you will still be able to enjoy. PLUS loads of other stuff!! The fact is that while well meaning, your friends do not know how you feel, and do not know how your weight effects you on a very personal level.

I wish I had been ready younger. I had funding when I was 26 but backed out as I was scared for many of the reasons you say plus I wasn't ready to change. If you are ready now, and only you know if you really are then please go for it. I don't miss out - my social life is better. I am happier and fitter - as a fellow pcos sufferer who also has one child my periods have normalised and the hormone levels show normal levels of testosterone and oestrogen.

Since having the discussion with my surgeon and receiving all the information about the operation and beyond my decision to go ahead is now set in stone.

Through tears & anger, happiness, excitement and fear ive realised that at the end of the day, its only food.
Although I had my 5 a day (when I ate) I still managed lots of sweet stuff and chocolate, especially late evenings when lil'un went to bed! I also didnt have a structure at all. Some days I wouldn't eat until dinner and then pig out on everything and anything until I went to sleep around 2/3am. I have nevet got my head around eating breakfast - something I need to work hard at!

PCOS and my mum are big motivators for me. Yes, I loved going out for meals and loved getting drunk with friends but I love being a mum and wife more :)

Im on the 2 week milk diet now, rolling into day 5. Im not guna lie, its been hard work so far but im surprised at myself for sticking to it, oh and proud! Im ready for this :) Self hate is exhausting. I wanna know what loving myself feels like. Having confidence and self esteem!? After years of nothing, I think I deserve that :)

You absolutely deserve that flick! I've not had surgery yet but I wish I'd been banded at 13! Being fat, bullied, a mis-fit ruined my life. I nearly died at 16 from a clot on my lung because I was overweight and on the pill. I was overlooked work wise, I married out of desperation because I had no self astern whatsoever and thought no one else would want me. That lasted eight years until I realised I would be better off alone. I'm happily married now but food/fat seriously affects my health both physically and mentally. The self loathing as well as the strain on my body is taking its toll. I'd say do it babe, and don't look back. X

I was the weight I am now at 26... I'm 52 now btw (26yrs on) and if I could have turned the clocks back yes I would have had the op then if it had been available as I was 25 when my spine begin crumbling and I was also diagnosed with PCOS. Fortunately by then my family was complete so fertility wasn't an issue. However, for me, I don't think I would have been fully ready for the undertaking of it all and probably would have failed. I needed to be at the brink of no return to fully appreciate the benefits and the 2nd chance that the bypass has given me. That's just me though ;)

wHEREVER Y0U ARE I OULD DO IT NOW YOU GOTTA THINK OF THE REST OF YA LIFE, WISH I COULDV DONE IT IN MY 20'S. I WAS 45 AND ASKED FOR HELP SO MANY TIMES BEFORE THAT. gRAB IT WITH BITH HANDS. I STILL GO OUT WITH FRIENDS AND HAVE MEALS OUT. jUST IN MUCH SMALLER PORTIONS NOW. dRINKWISE, I SOMETIMES MISS THE ODD ONE OUT. drink n eat a lot less than I would have once over, way to go girl xxx

I feel terribly sad I wasted all those years not being able to do things I would have liked to do with my children and family due to being overweight.
I have always been able to "lose weight" my problem was keeping it off.
I've just yo yo through life loosing and gaining(and a bit extra)....I'd managed to lose 6 stones on my own.
But I just couldn't control my eating habits,which was mainly grazing all day.

So this bypass has given me a tool to help with my bad habits,if I abuse it I suffer.
I still have a treat,I still have a drink...just in the right amount.
I'm over 3 years since my bypass now...
Just prepare yourself...
Life changes in so many ways.

I can kinda see what they're getting at, some people my age are still going out drinking every weekend, eating takeaways every other day that kind of thing and all without responsibilities - great! Not that I can do that anyway bringing up two boys, one 2, the other 25 lol! They've got no idea..

I cant wait to be slim, fit my butt in a chair WITH armrests, dress like a woman, not a tent and ultimately have another miracle grow inside me :)

Can you still enjoy nights out post op? Perhaps a meal at a restaurant or a drink in the pub?

Of course you can!

I feel a little down when I think about the things I wont be able to do after the op but it is all food & drink related. Then I slap myself and remember that actually, im so unhappy with the way I look because of those things, that surgery is the right option for me and I can look forward to a slimmer me :)
I cant imagine having just one baby and struggling through life with a severe weight problem. The only reason I would refuse surgery is so I can continue to stuff my face??? Laughable, really, and not going to happen!

Im looking forward to having something with a little more flavour lol Day 5 of the milk diet is through and oh am I hungry. The first couple of days I just wanted food because it was there but today I found hunger, real rumbling hunger has kicked in. Its hard work. Harder than I imagined but im still positive, still active and still excited for (almost) 8 days time!! Op day! :D

Back