• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice from 'mature' post oppers please ;)

What do you think you can't do post op?!

Get your moneys worth at a chinese buffet restaurant, enjoy a night out getting drunk with friends :p Christmas dinner - goose fat roasties, mince pies, advent calendar (yes, i still have one!) Dunking a line of cadbury chocolate into a hot cuppa tea lol Chips and ice cream at the beach on a boiling hot summers day. Silly things! Lol

Get your moneys worth at a chinese buffet restaurant, enjoy a night out getting drunk with friends :p Christmas dinner - goose fat roasties, mince pies, advent calendar (yes, i still have one!) Dunking a line of cadbury chocolate into a hot cuppa tea lol Chips and ice cream at the beach on a boiling hot summers day. Silly things! Lol

I've been to a Chinese buffet twice post op. I don't get drunk so can't help with that one. I ate Xmas dinner, I eat roast dinners. I've never dunked choc in to tea that's odd. One thing I can't do is eat and drink, it makes me feel very odd!

I've got my advent calendar on my shelf. A choc one.

I had chips and ice cream at the seaside this summer. Vommed but had it!

Food really isn't the focus of these activities!

I've been to a Chinese buffet twice post op. I don't get drunk so can't help with that one. I ate Xmas dinner, I eat roast dinners. I've never dunked choc in to tea that's odd. One thing I can't do is eat and drink, it makes me feel very odd!

I've got my advent calendar on my shelf. A choc one.

I had chips and ice cream at the seaside this summer. Vommed but had it!

Food really isn't the focus of these activities!

Have you had the sleeve? Im having a bypass and from what ive researched sugary things are a no go because of dumping so alot of what I said relates to that. Ive not really read up on the sleeve in great detail as its not an option for me so can't say ive looked at the similarities/differences.

Dunking chocolate in tea is much like a chocolate coated digestive without the biscuit bit so to me, not odd at all! :p I couldn't spend £15 at a chinese buffet and only manage a saucer of food. Cant afford to throw money away like that, so I wouldnt go and therefore miss the experience. Chips & ice cream, treats we have only when we go out as a family. Obviously silly things, but to me, things I dont have very often that im guna miss!

Flick sorry if I come over so blunt here but ...
What you are going through is normal... You are grieving over the possible death of the old you that loves food. I know I did pre bypass when I had my balloon in. Unfortunately though it's something you have to come to terms with because it's that love of food that has got you into this situation in the first place... Nothing else!

Yes I dump at the drop of a hat but not everybody does and I may not do so the further out I get. To be honest I am glad I do because it is a big deterrent to not eat things that are potentially "bad" for me.

I still enjoy my food even more than I did before tbh. I still have the occasional Indian, Chinese & still regularly eat out. I just make better healthier choices and eat lots less. The only food I miss is a chippy fish. I have tried several times and just dump but it's not the end of the world for me. I knew this was a possabilty before I had the bypass but had accepted that something had to give.

I was advised no alcohol for at least six months. Even then I may not be able to tolerate it anymore. I miss it occasionally but I prefer having the new me and quite frankly alcohol was responsitble for a lot of my xtra weight in the first place.
I don't miss fizzy juice but do miss soda water. Again I have found alternatives and if you asked me if I would prefer to have soda or the new me there is no argument.

& I will still get my chocolate advent calendar too btw :)

Yes a bypass is a lifetime commitment where changes in our lifestyle and our mind set have to occur in order for it to work but the enjoyment of living life to the full doesn't stop. In fact for me it has only just begun and I'm loving every moment.
My only one true regret is that I didn't have the bypass decades ago.. I have lost thirteen years of my life because of ill health and morbid obesity and I will never get those years back ;)

You need to seriously look at why you are having this op hun and take it from there. Nobody here ever said this was an easy option or way to lose weight ;)

Last edited:
Have you had the sleeve? Im having a bypass and from what ive researched sugary things are a no go because of dumping so alot of what I said relates to that. Ive not really read up on the sleeve in great detail as its not an option for me so can't say ive looked at the similarities/differences.

Dunking chocolate in tea is much like a chocolate coated digestive without the biscuit bit so to me, not odd at all! :p I couldn't spend £15 at a chinese buffet and only manage a saucer of food. Cant afford to throw money away like that, so I wouldnt go and therefore miss the experience. Chips & ice cream, treats we have only when we go out as a family. Obviously silly things, but to me, things I dont have very often that im guna miss!

Yes I've had a sleeve, I do dump but probably not as much as a bypasser. Are you sure you're ready for this surgery? Think long and hard about it as there is no going back xx

Yes Fem Frankie is correct. I am over 2 years post now. I unfortunately can eta most things without dumping, then one day you try it and wham dump big time. Some days I don't want to eta much, I never feel hungry but I know I have to eat I don't miss meals out I make sure I eat. I eat very small meals my melas still fit on a tea plate. I can have a fish from the chippy but take batter off maybe have a chip or 2 but that is it. I still like chocolate and like to have one of the small kids thin Cadbury bars looks big and I break it up there will be no more chocolate in that then in 1 big chunk but its mind over matter I think its one whole bar wohoo, it gives me a hot flush as does most foods, I try and have my fruit n veg portions every day, I eta out and I drink, just not to the excess I would have done years ago, I REALLY WISH I HAD HAD THIS OPPORTUNITY WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE. XXX gOOD LUCK keep up the good work you can do this and make a big difference to ya life. xx

Yes, Im ready :)

2 years of teir 3 and/or fertility appointments, increasing weight & worsening depression is enough to kick anyone up the butt. I worked my arse off during teir 3, on a 1500, then 1200 cal a day diet. Limited carbs, no sugar, low fat. Gym once a week and swimming 2-3 times plus managing with a tiny baby. I lost 2lb. Thats it. 18 months I kept that up for and I never lost any more than 2lb. Then I was refused surgery. That program ended in July this year. Since then Ive put on probably 1/2 a stone because I stopped the diet and enjoyed my wedding & honeymoon.
My doctor appealed my case and here I am, 8 days away from having my op.

The things above im guna miss, purely because I enjoy doing them but I know that life post op will be a million times better. Im greiving as you say but over time things can only get better, right? :)

Im 24 , almost 25 stone and I'm hoping to have the band. I suffer with depression and chronic back pain, luckily i have not developed diabetes or weight related illnesses. I don't have children, but I may want them in years to come and I am grateful that I may have the opportunity to have wls.. It's an amazing gift that is given to you, to help you re start life! I have yet to go to my seminar on the 21st of November, and hopefully it will be all go from then. I am so excited to be given the chance to do this, and start over.

Good luck!

Kirsty

2 years of teir 3 and/or fertility appointments, increasing weight & worsening depression is enough to kick anyone up the butt. I worked my arse off during teir 3, on a 1500, then 1200 cal a day diet. Limited carbs, no sugar, low fat. Gym once a week and swimming 2-3 times plus managing with a tiny baby. I lost 2lb. Thats it. 18 months I kept that up for and I never lost any more than 2lb. Then I was refused surgery. That program ended in July this year. Since then Ive put on probably 1/2 a stone because I stopped the diet and enjoyed my wedding & honeymoon.

The things above im guna miss, purely because I enjoy doing them but I know that life post op will be a million times better. Im greiving as you say but over time things can only get better, right? :)

Two months after I had the balloon in and with a four stone loss under my belt is when the realisation hit me that this was it. I could have backed out of getting the bypass but by then I was already feeling the benefits of the changes I was making in my life. I really truly do not miss the old me and her bad food choices apart from chippy fish :eek:. Even upcoming Christmas isn't phasing me and I'm the host :)
Today I went out for a lovely hours walk with hubby. I was still on my elbow crutches but a year ago I couldn't have done this at all. I would have been lucky to have got a hundred yards! I also help look after my 13mth old granddaughter and this too would have been an impossibility at the start of this year... I'm loving life and so glad I didn't back out.
You are young hun grab the opportunity while you can I would have loved to have been given it at your age. X

Once you have your bypass you use food to live,not live to eat.
You'll be able to do all the things you've wanted to and your size has stopped you.

Your health will improve...my feet used to hurt like hell with the weight I carried.
But everyone is different after having a bypass...
I am very limited to what I can eat,meat/pasta/rice and bread I struggle with it gets stuck.
I dump very easily(which is a good thing in one way as it keeps me on the straight and narrow)
If I push my limits I am sick,so I cannot do a "normal size" meal is more of a child's portion.
At times I do feel a bit miserable when I cannot eat what my family are eating.
I have to choose at times which my body wants "food or fluids" as you cannot do both at the same time.
I have stomach issues now since I had my bypass,and vitamin definency has been an issue.

In the first year of bypass everything is through "rose tinted" glasses...it's great.
But once the weight stops and the honeymoon disappears ,,the hard work begins.
You have to work with your bypass,in the first year your bypass practically does all the work.
You can gain weight again so very easy with the bypass,I've seen it happen.
Sometimes I wonder why we don't have more long termers on here,is this the reason.

If you know you'll always be struggling with the weight and keeping it off,then go for it!
Even though I've got issues,I know I'm better off now having had a bypass.
I'm over 3 years out,I was a big mummy with 2 young kids and sz 24/26.
I'm now a smaller mummy at sz 12/14,I've stayed this size from when my weight stopped at 15 months.

Just make sure you research from all angles...as once its done its done.

Hi, I am having my op on 12th November too. I am 39 and feel like I have wasted all my thirties being too fat to do anything or want to go out. If I could have known at 24 how big I was going to get, I definitely would have had the op before my 30s. At least you know that this is the biggest you will ever be and all you can do now is lose! The milk diet is killing me too, only 8 days left! xx

Last edited:
I truly wish I had made these steps towards this YEARS AGO it has taken a major health scare to get my butt in gear but in guess I wasn't ready before now ive wasted years that I will never get back so in some way no point in looking back I have decades of life in me and I want to enjoy them to the max and changing my weight is the first of many steps .like you if I knew what I know now I might have taken so different paths.

hey flick im not a mature post opper at 26 but from someone who is in your shoes seeing as our age difference isnt that big i would say, you have to do what feels right for you! Yes our ops are different as you will be having a bypass, but the realities of being 20 odd having had wls remain the same.
I can honestly tell you it is the best thing by far i have done for myself in recent years, and no i would not have waited. Why wait for x amount of years and your health to deteriorate further just to please your friends. You have tried so many things, and have jumped through so many hoops! You deserve this not only for you but for your husband and your little boy too! Go out there and grab life, thats what ive done and i have to tell you it feels great.

Dont worry about post op either, im four weeks out and ive eaten out and been out drinking. I'm now 2 stone lighter and not looking back! Good luck ith everything and well done on your weight loss so far! x x x

Hey. I had a bypass 4 months ago at age 26. I'm married with a 2.5 yr old son.

I can see where your coming from with a lot of your worries but tbh if you didn't need this for the good of your health you wouldn't be getting it.

Obviously the professionals see this as a necessary step for you to maximise your life. Once your a few months out you'll forget what you miss and realise exactly what you've gained, a fantastic opportunity to maximise life in a way that wasn't possible before.

I've eaten out a few times all it takes is sensible choices. As for ice cream I've replaced it with low fat low sugar frozen yoghurt, I hunted down one place at my local beach that sold it and nobody's any wiser.

Grab this with its hands it's Ike if the best decisions I've made in my relatively short life. You'll be fine.

G

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I've just discovered Waitrose fat free creamy fromage frais and I must say it is creamy In deed. I don't suppose it would freeze but you could add it to sugar free jelly to lake a or add a little vanilla essence to use it as a cream.

I've just discovered Waitrose fat free creamy fromage frais and I must say it is creamy In deed. I don't suppose it would freeze but you could add it to sugar free jelly to lake a or add a little vanilla essence to use it as a cream.

Fat free usually means full of sugar.

You can also use it in curries x x

Back