• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE XX

LydiaJoy!

Hey Guys!
I'm new to this site but really need some advice.

As most of you on this site understand, the fight to get fit and lose weight is near impossible without surgery...or so it seems.

I'm in the UK and I'm only 17 years old! I'm in my second year at college, going to University in September (fingers crossed!)

Two years ago, my mum had a BMI of near 50 and before the NHS cuts, she was offered a gastric band which she accepted.

Over two and a half years, my mum lost 12 stone through the band and exercise. Shes done extremely well and its been amazing to watch her confidence grow and her self belief rise. About two years in to the whole process, her band was too tight and she started to develop acid etc. Her band had to be totally relaxed. Then a few weeks ago, I was at the hospital with her because she could FINALLY get her band filled again! :):):)!!!

I said I really wanted a band because I've struggled since I was really little with my weight and that I know no matter what, I will always struggle with my weight. I thought, wow... that would really set me up with life. I wouldn't have to worry about going out with my friends or even panic when I'm in public. I'd be able to shop where I wanted and well you know all of the health reasons!

I was absolutely gobsmacked when my parents said they could come up with the money for weight loss surgery for me. (A gastric band.)

My BMI is 48 :( and I'm inbetween sizes of 22/24/26 at the height of 5'8. I'm 100% on board with this op and I'm totally ready for the huge change. I just really want peoples opinions!

Hope you're all doing well & thank you!

Lydia-Joy xx

Morning LJ
Many people (not on here) would never encourage someone as young as you to undergo WLS....However, I would say that had I had a band fitted at your age (I was overweight from 14, at 5.5 when I left school I was 13st) I would not have encountered the weight issues that I have done throughout my adult life. I would have dealt with the problem long ago.
If my daughter had similar BMI to your lovely young self I would 100% support her, just as your parents are.
So congratulations at such a young age for addressing a problem that if left you could suffer from in to your 30/40/50/60's which is decades!
You will get all the support you need on here from the young and old :)
Good luck on your journey to slim & healthy xx

Brilliant! I have a 16 year old who can't wait till she's 17 to get surgery. Has same issues as me, my bmi got to 70 before I got help, she can nip this in the bud sooner than me.

Good luck!

xx.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi LydiaJoy,

Firstly glad to hear your Mum has had so much success with a gastric band. Although 17 is young, if you know you have the same family history and likelihood of continuing weight problems / tendency to put on weight easily and difficult to lose ..... and a BMI of 48 already ..... then this op could turn your life around whilst you are still a young age.

At age 17 I was not your size (I was only -- "only?" -- about 3 or 4 stone overweight then) ..... and then by age 25 I was 8 stone overweight .... and by age 40++ I am now 12 stone overweight.

Wish I had pestered my GP's for bypass referral when I was in my 30's (and had reached the critical BMI above 50 level by then already).

Best wishes with your new exciting life !!

I say go for it and then go and enjoy University and the rest of your life x

wow....your parents are giving you the best gift ever!!!

(dont be suprised of santa doesnt come in 2012 haha)

welcome to the forum and good luck!!

Wow that's great Hun good luck ;)

Welcome Lydiajoy!

I too was overweight most of my childhood and believed people when they said 'dont worry its only puppy fat' or 'you will grow out of it' but i never did and have just become an obese adult who has been on a diet most of my life, which of course i stick to for a while then pile it back on again plus some!

I have dreamt of being thin all my life and at age 30 i have now decided to have surgery but my biggest regret so far is that i didn't do it years ago so i could really enjoy my teens and twenties, wish i had have been as brave as you :)

I am sure you have given it a lot of thought and are aware of the risks so if it's what you want to do then go for it hun and embrace this chance to break the cycle

Good luck whatever you decide xx

i'm with the others. Nip it in the bud, wish i'd had the opportunity to do it at that age. good luck x

Hiya Lydia i think i have already replied on yourother thread from yesterday... but good luck hun xx

Hello, I'm very new to this too but I'm only 22 but my bmi is almost 70 and I'm only just getting this kind of help, I'd I had that chance to have had a band at your age I wouldn't be in this situation now! Id say go for it I'm proud that your parents are willing to pay for it for you that's brilliant and it will stop you getting to the size I am :D go for it whole heartedly! And good luck Xx

Back