• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice please.

perkyprincess

hi all,

my mum went to her gp a few months ago and asked him about weight loss surgery she currently weighs 20+ stone and has sleep apnea. he told her that her bmi wasnt high enough so he wouldnt consider refering her for surgery. now she struggles to breathe and get easily out of breath doing things and she says its because of her size. what would be her next plan of action she really wants to be refered for surgery but is getting no where with her gp. any advice would be greatly recieved. thanks for reading.x

Hello there

I am unsure what pct your mother is under, you should check the criteria and see what the SP is regarding what BMI she has to have and any co morbidities she has including the sleep apnea. If she qualifies for this I would take all this information too the GP and maybe see a different GP under the same practise and present a case across. HTH Julie xx

hi we are in teeside. she meets the criteria she is not much smaller than myself and i am having the bypass at the end of march. its her gp that is being stubborn.

Well if your mum fits the criteria then you should go armed with the facts/paperwork from pct and say too the GP why is your mum being refused on what grounds. Failing that see another GP in the practise , if they dont have any more there change GP's, dont let the GP call the shots, ask them too explain why they wont refer her, take all the evidence with you, could be a anti wls Gp perhaps......Wishing your mum all the best xxx

she struggles to breathe and get easily out of breath doing things
I assume her gp has ruled any other problems out of the equation? I have issues with breathing and although made worse by my weight (similar to your mum size wise), it is not just this but other problems that are being treated.

If your mum fits the criteria then she needs to see another GP in the practice - no-one should have that kind of power over another person, who is he to make the decision not to refer her. Doctors that behave in this way make me cross and it should not happen, although I know unfortunately it does.

Your mum needs a supportive gp.

Last edited:
hi honey, your poor mum i remember whats its like when no one will listen to you and you are screaming to be helped. i suggest firstly find out that the criteria hasnt changed for your area. i know some have changed it to a bmi of 50 due to the cuts and changes. if she is withing the guidelines then she needs to see another doctor, my first doctor wouldnt listen but the second one was fab about it- infcat hes more excited than me to have a bypass patient!!

tell her to keep going back until they will do something and not to give up hope xxxxxx

I would go back to the GP, you go with your Mum if possible. Make sure you print out the PCT guidelines and show the GP these. If he is really just being stubborn I would deffinately change my GP. Hope she gets the help she needs. XX

Hi Nicola , I would get her to change gps , if he won't support her now he won't in the future if he has to refer her , it really helps having your doc being on your side especially post op if you need advice x

hi all,

thanks for all your great advice i will speak with my mum tomorrow its hard enough getting to the docs and asking that question without them treating you like this its horrible. i will pass on all you have said and we shall take it from there. thanks once again.xx

Back