• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

ADVICE NEEDED...WHAT TO EAT?

SARAH S

Here comes the new me
I am only 11 days post op so you're further along than me but I'm sure people will be along with some suggestions for you.

There is also an old thread, "What's everyone eating today" started by Neeta, go to forum jump, down to Gastric Bypass RYN - Food diaries. Lots of usefull ideas on there :)

Peterborough Guy

Luton and Dunstable
Hi ya, i had my bypass at the end of June and this is what i have.

1 x wholemeal toast with a poached egg
1 x peach
2x crackerbread with pate or ham
1 x low fat yogurt
1x mash with gravy, a cup of veg and half a pork chop

hope this helps

MrsSAFC

small glass of fresh orange and 1 yogurt for brekki
rivita with cottage cheese or ham lunch
two table spoons of veg and small amount of meat (chicken or tuna etc) for tea

fruit, babybell or snack a jacks for snacks during day and 2 ltrs water per day. also 1 milky coffee per day

all is low fat or fat free where possible. xx

MrsSAFC

also have rice with meat curry, the only thing i struggle to eat is pasta, so i just avoid it (gutted because i used to love it!)

Karlos

TBH there are some pretty dreadful meal choices posted here on this thread, but each to their own :sigh:

My first advice as always is follow your surgeon's plan

At your stage your main requirement is protein. You should aim for at least 80g per day split over five or six small meals. Simple carbs such as potatoes, and white rice should be avoided anyway, but even complex carbs and veggies, etc should only be eaten once you have swallowed all the protein on your plate. Bread, pasta, rice and even salad is quite hard to handle early out and I was told to wait 12 weeks before trying them

Breakfast
Scrambled poached or boiled egg, or one egg omelette with a little grated cheese or slice of ham. The low sugar baked beans are great source of protein too and I used to eat nearly a small tin

Mid morning
Low fat high protein Greek yogurt. Fage is best and if you can take the taste of the zero fat all the better. Fage is a great source of protein but it isn't cheap to buy. Buy the big tubs and portion it out to where you can just eat enough each time, say four desert spoons at first

Lunch
two to three oz of Chicken, Ham, Turkey, Beef, Cottage cheese, Tuna with low fat mayo o make it easier to swallow or other fish etc, with either a ryvita or crisp bread. I ate so much cottage cheese at this time I cannot face it now LOL :D

Mid afternoon
Banana (These are a great pick me up food as well as a good source of potassium) or other piece of fruit but be careful with the fructose content. Avoid citrus fruit and fruit juices as these are quite acidic and might inflame your pouch/sleeve

Dinner
I like spicy foods so I'd eat home made chili without rice even home made chicken curry with very little of the sauce, but just like lunch you should aim for two to three oz of chicken, flaky fish, beef, turkey, cheese, or ham with some steamed veg. But again protein first. I used to use oxo in water to make the meat wetter and easier to swallow rather than gravy.

Mid Evening
Half pint of milk, or a little cheese to get me through the night.

I also used to drink two to three litres of clear liquid a day and several milky coffees too. Yes I know coffee is supposed to be bad, but as long as your not using it instead of clear liquid it's not really that bad and the protein in the milk is great

At your stage again aim for 80g of protein at least, and really that is the only measure I worried about. Your pouch will dictate how much you eat and some days 2 oz of meat will be fine and the next you'll never be able to get half that down.

Good luck take your supplements each day and log your intake on a food logging website just to show you that you're getting the right stuff in. Google will show you lots of different sites, try to find a UK measurement one

This worked for me but I'm not advocating it as the right choice for anyone else. My first advice as always is "follow your surgeon's plan" and if they say you can have crisps etc then fine, if it's not on their list it shouldn't be on yours

SARAH S

Here comes the new me
Thank you for that list Karlos, I have copied and pasted it for use in couple of weeks time, I have only a very limited menu plan from my team probably because I'll see them before I get to this stage, I am struggling with fluids though, waiting half an hour before then and hour after food intake I seem to run out of day. But I will persist and work out a way:)

Karlos

I am struggling with fluids though, waiting half an hour before then and hour after food intake I seem to run out of day. But I will persist and work out a way:)

You're so right it's a chuffin 16 hour shift trying to juggle all that stuff LOL :D I started at 06.00 hours and probably had my last meal at 21.00.

SARAH S

Here comes the new me
Hey I thought this surgery lark was supposed to be "the easy way" LOL!!:)

Karlos

Hey I thought this surgery lark was supposed to be "the easy way" LOL!!:)

It's an easy way to lose weight it's not easy to live with :D

Louanne79

Karlos said:
TBH there are some pretty dreadful meal choices posted here on this thread, but each to their own :sigh:

At your stage your main requirement is protein. You should aim for at least 80g per day split over five or six small meals. Simple carbs such as potatoes, and white rice should be avoided anyway, but even complex carbs and veggies, etc should only be eaten once you have swallowed all the protein on your plate. Bread, pasta, rice and even salad is quite hard to handle early out and I was told to wait 12 weeks before trying them

Breakfast
Scrambled poached or boiled egg, or one egg omelette with a little grated cheese or slice of ham. The low sugar baked beans are great source of protein too and I used to eat nearly a small tin

Mid morning
Low fat high protein Greek yogurt. Fage is best and if you can take the taste of the zero fat all the better. Fage is a great source of protein but it isn't cheap to buy. Buy the big tubs and portion it out to where you can just eat enough each time, say four desert spoons at first

Lunch
two to three oz of Chicken, Ham, Turkey, Beef, Cottage cheese, Tuna with low fat mayo o make it easier to swallow or other fish etc, with either a ryvita or crisp bread. I ate so much cottage cheese at this time I cannot face it now LOL :D

Mid afternoon
Banana (These are a great pick me up food as well as a good source of potassium) or other piece of fruit but be careful with the fructose content. Avoid citrus fruit and fruit juices as these are quite acidic and might inflame your pouch/sleeve

Dinner
I like spicy foods so I'd eat home made chili without rice even home made chicken curry with very little of the sauce, but just like lunch you should aim for two to three oz of chicken, flaky fish, beef, turkey, cheese, or ham with some steamed veg. But again protein first. I used to use oxo in water to make the meat wetter and easier to swallow rather than gravy.

Mid Evening

I also used to drink two to three litres of clear liquid a day and several milky coffees too. Yes I know coffee is supposed to be bad, but as long as your not using it instead of clear liquid it's not really that bad and the protein in the milk is great

At your stage again aim for 80g of protein at least, and really that is the only measure I worried about. Your pouch will dictate how much you eat and some days 2 oz of meat will be fine and the next you'll never be able to get half that down.

Good luck take your supplements each day and log your intake on a food logging website just to show you that you're getting the right stuff in. Google will show you lots of different sites, try to find a UK measurement one

This worked for me but I'm not advocating it as the right choice for anyone else. My first advice as always is "follow your surgeon's plan" and if they say you can have crisps etc then fine, if it's not on their list it shouldn't be on yours

Karlos, thanks for posting this, I've been struggling with meal choices and the diet sheet given to me by my team is somewhat strange - cereal or toast for breakfast, evening meal recommendations include 4 fish fingers, mash & beans followed by a milky pudding, or a slice of pizza followed by a milky pudding! Which I think is an easy way to slip back into my old, carb-heavy ways.
Going to use your suggestions for a few days and see how that goes.
xXx

Last edited:

shygirl

Breakfast

Mid morning

Lunch

Mid afternoon

Dinner

Mid Evening

hiya,big thank you for that Karlos.that list will be of great help for myself and for others whos not sure/confused what to eat..xx