• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

:( eating crap AGAIN!

salski

:wave_cry::wave_cry:Well I decided after Christmas to get back on the band wagon. I am far enough out now to pretty much eat most things, and of course portion sizes are creeping up, however I have now took to takeaways and eating sh!t!
This may sicken some people but I feel the need to be honest in order to get some honest advice.
I have eaten this week, as wel as normal bypass food a burger king kids meal, a few strips of donna kebab meat (sick stuff! Dont even like it!) a few chips from the chippy, pizza, lots of crisps, sweets.
It is sickening. Even writing it down I feel sick. I have been ill for a few days and my diet is purely to blame. I was constipated and then blocked up.
I really struggle with breakfasts and what to eat. I find myself skipping this, having a sensible lunch and relatively sensible tea...then bang! 8pm comes round and I crave sh!t!
Can anyone suggest a breakfast I can make the night before, or something simple I can make in work?
I also need help with side dishes. I have a meat every night but no idea what to have with it?
I have got rid of all the crap in the house this evening and bought lots of fruit, apples, pears, kiwis, plums, necterines and grapes - the idea behind this is to snack on this in the evenings. As I say other than missing breakfast my food up until the evenings is pretty good!
My weight is still coming off, however I think due to the sh!t Ive eaten this week I will have no doubt not lost.
Please can anyone out there suggest foods, or hints or tips on why my head is so screwed and Im ruining my bypass - less than a year out!!

Much appreciated

Sally x:wave_cry::wave_cry:

candie

fabby not flabby :)
Hi Sal
Try n have brekky if you can, and make some hummus, and have that with celery, carrot sticks etc, for a low fat high protein snack:D
Another idea is sugar free angel delight, with a scoop of protein powder in, and frozen grapes:p:p
I'm worse at night time too hun:(

Silversurfer

Sal - you wana avoid those BK Chicken Royale, i had one the other night late on the way home and it was yuck, next time i'll stick to MD's chicken sandwich! ;-)

shazbrad

hiya Salski,
well where do i begin, i am in totally the same boat as you, except that i do eat breakfast every morning but don't really eat much during the day, have dinner with the family and then come 8 o'clock i need something sweet, i haven't really eaten a lot of takeaways tho last night i had 2 pieces if kfc chicken and some fries, my big vice at the moment is chocolate which is mad because after i eat it i dump not badly but enough, i try to avoid eating crap food by having fruit to try and satisify my sweet craving, but this doesn't always work :sigh:
My weight has been yo yoing up and down by 2-4lbs each week so i haven't really dropped any real weight for ages :(. Like you after christmas i decided i had to no needed to get back on track but so far have been finding it so difficult, i also know of somebody else post op by over 1 yr who is struggling, so your not alone in your struggle hun, its a shame we don't live in same area we could've got together and maybe helped each other, thats the reason i joined the forum to get help advice encouragement and to speak to people who are in the same boat as me.
Lets hope we can both get our arses back into gear and get back on track :)

hopelesscase

Oh sal im so sorry to hear you are struggling so much. I dont know if it would be an option but would it be worth seeing if you could get an appointment with the psycologist to see if you can talk to her and maybe see if she can help you address yr issues.
Again you have taken the first step in addressing them by coming on hear and acknowledging them but maybe some proffesional imput would help. Failing that i know you have done it before what about the 5 day pouch test.
as for breakfasts here are some of the things that i have
rice cakes with peanut butter and banana
microwave porrige with sultanas and banana
cheese slice and ham rolled up together
cheese on toast with beans
bacon tomato and mushrooms
oatcake with cheese and tomatoes
oatibix
nics flapjacks
total 0% yogurt nuts and blueberries
fruit salad

Hope you get some inspiration.

You have done so well to date and despite yr uniform the other day looked absolutly fab.
take care hun
carole

hopelesscase

hiya Salski,
well where do i begin, i am in totally the same boat as you, except that i do eat breakfast every morning but don't really eat much during the day, have dinner with the family and then come 8 o'clock i need something sweet, i haven't really eaten a lot of takeaways tho last night i had 2 pieces if kfc chicken and some fries, my big vice at the moment is chocolate which is mad because after i eat it i dump not badly but enough, i try to avoid eating crap food by having fruit to try and satisify my sweet craving, but this doesn't always work :sigh:
My weight has been yo yoing up and down by 2-4lbs each week so i haven't really dropped any real weight for ages :(. Like you after christmas i decided i had to no needed to get back on track but so far have been finding it so difficult, i also know of somebody else post op by over 1 yr who is struggling, so your not alone in your struggle hun, its a shame we don't live in same area we could've got together and maybe helped each other, thats the reason i joined the forum to get help advice encouragement and to speak to people who are in the same boat as me.
Lets hope we can both get our arses back into gear and get back on track :)

sharon sorry to hear of yr struggles as well. i find i only eat when hungry and can go for quite a long period between my breakfast and next meal but then it can sometimes be a relativly short time between that and my next meal.
Have you ever looked at the 5 day pouch test i was really surprised the other day to find that after being ill and having been back on liquids just how littl my portions now are. it may be worth looking at it.
Also have a look at some of phatgirls recipies for her cakes they all freeze well and although i dont have a sweet tooth, they hit the spot nicely. and can be eaten guilt free.

hope that helps
carole

phatgirl

Hi babes, I know it is tough to admit when things get off track but well done in being real with yourself. I find that when I jump off the path and eat crap I think a big dose of 'what was I doing' is always the best place to start. My name is Phatgirl and I fight every day to keep my food demons at bay, sometimes I don't win.

Here are things I like to eat and would recommend:

Breakfast

Yogurt with added fresh or frozen fruit topped with some nuts

Whole grain toast (there is a soya one I love with loads of protein) with peanut butter & a piece of fruit like a clementine/apple/grapes/melon

Protein smoothie (frozen or fresh fruit + yogurt + cottage cheese + milk, protein powder if you like and bunch of ice cubes - bang it all in a blender)

Mini quiche cups, you can put just about any meat, cheese or veg in them you like, I always use my leftovers. You can make many little ones and freeze them, grab a couple and nuke it for 1 min and you have a great breakfast. It is very easy, would be happy to show you.

One of my protein cakes or protein bars (I can teach you how to make them if you like).

Side dishes:

Veg in the form of salad, you can't go wrong with having salad often and you can vary the ingredients if you get bored. Like go greek and add feta & pine nuts or add dried fruit & pecans.

Frozen veg nuked with a bit of shredded cheese and some herbs

Roasted veg with lots of herbs and spices and a bit of olive oil

Fruit salad (my current fav is diced apples, oranges, banana, pineapple sprinkled with chopped nuts a pinch of unsweetned coconut and a squeeze of agave sf syrup)

Bean salad (onions, peppers, sweet corn, 3 types of beans, vinegar, parsley, basil, olive oil - I also add feta cheese or sliced olives if I am in the mood, tastes best if chilled for a few hours before eating )

Carrot & swede mash
Baked sweet potato

When I make chinese I use bean sprouts instead of noodles or rice for my dish.

Let me know if you need more suggestions or if you want recipes. I think it is hard to kick food demons and self-sabotage, it is ever so much harder than I thought it would be after the first 6 months. But the simple thing about it is you are in control of what you eat and you are capable of making the changes to get the results you want. Another lovely thing is that each day you wake up you have the opportunity to start fresh and try hard to make healthy choices, if you find that you weren't able to do it today there is always the fresh start of tomorrow waiting for you. You just have to want to use your tool and it is there for you!

Nic;)

Lisa J

CRYSTAL PALACE FC!
Come on Sal where's that passion you show on the terreces at man c! Try and think of every bit of crappy food going into your mouth as a Man U goal against city...u can't let them win(not again)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCPM

Fighting on day by day
Hope you can get back on track Salski and you've made a great start but as you say it gets harder as you get further out. I often smile when I see the 'weight gone forever' statements in early post ops posts...yep it COULD be but it may not and the struggle gets harder.

Breakfast I have is scrambled eggs cooked in the microwave at work (2 mins). Weekends its boiled eggs and toast. I make the breakfast quiche too. Protein yoghurt I make the night before so its ready to go. Usually have them for lunch but just as good at breakfast.

I hope you can get back on track.

M

salski

Thank you all so much for your ideas, suggestions and helpfullness!
I do feel like I am sabotaging myself and I got 2 weeks with eating relatively well, then have 2 weeks of crap creeping in! I was so determined to get rid of the last few pounds to my initial goal, and then I kept thinking Im so close...a leetle bit of what I fancy wont hurt.
I spoke to the dietician the other day and asked her about crisps...these again are my biggest downfall. I guess the only way I can stop going mad is to cut them out completly! Strange thought that terrify's me?! Im twenty-bloody-four...why cant I learn?!
What are these quiche cups? They sound good.
I made some of Nic's flapjacks and they were amazing and a great idea for breakfast for me...I have made a pact to make some more today.
I think about the pouch test and I remember people saying (2 over a year post oppers) saying they dont think it should be needed less than a year out. I know its 2 peoples opinions, but my screwed up head thinks its failure....I did it about 5-6 months out and after the success of it - I seem to have attached a stigma to it?! Grrr :mad:

As Nic said and the thought occurred to me yesterday hence the healthy shopping trip last night, I shall be getting back on the band wagon today and as you say Nic each day can be a new start if needs be!
I have asked my OH (Darren) to support me in this a little bit more as if I ask him to pop to the shops for crisps...he will. I have also asked him to remind me of the feelings crappy I have been doing all week both mentally and physically...I dont want to feel so crappy again!

The breakfast ideas are great, but hand on heart the only one I can see me doing is the quiche things so please can someone (CCPM or PG) post me a recipe or a method or something...PWEEZE!

Again thank you all for your help and advice. I shall be getting back on track today and I shall beat my demons...fingers crossed it will last a little longeer this time and I guess when I post my food diary on the menus page I shall start being a little bit more honest with the snacking issues.

I also will go out and but more frozen veg and sweet potaoes and salad so again PG, thanks for that!

Hmm..day one. Breakfast shall be made in approx 10 mins! Wish me luck!

Shaz...lets join together and take heed of everyones amazing advice and get the show back on the road! Post your menus with me each day and feel free to comment on mine and if your OK with me doing that on yours...lets use this as a support system!

Ok - seriously Im overwhelmed and thank you so much for your advice!

Sunday 31st January 2010...Sally and Shaz to get back on it!

Thank you!!!!

Sal xx

gillabean

Really living now!
:clap::clap::clap:GO, GO, GO SAL and SHAZ!!!!!!! :character00115::character00115::character00115:

You can do it! We are behind you, all the way.
:talk017:

Silversurfer

Hi Sal

You have to remember we all go through these negative periods of self sabotage, i'm constantly fighting to maintain a healthy life style but being away from home so much means my food choices are sometimes less than perfect, and i've had the odd bad week where the whole things gone down the drain.

I dont personally think the pouch test will tell you anything you dont already know, you still have restriction and if your craving bad foods then doing the pouch test wont rid your mind of those thoughts or wants, in fact all the pouch test will do is make it harder to resist as the first two days you dedicate to liquids again and thats going to leave you feeling hungry!

As some of the others have suggested, bulk up on good foods and cut out the naughty foods like the crisps and chocolate etc, if your feeling hungry try loading on fluids instead of eating, and by increasing your protein and lowering your carbs you will trick your pouch into staying fuller for longer

bungle1999

Could I have the recipe for the flapjack/protein bars of Nic's that have been mentioned?
I have had to give myself a kick up the backside since xmas too!

Good luck to everyone.xxxxxx

salski

salski

Thanks guys. Day 2 is going well. Although I felt hungry ALL day. I water loaded before meals and have had at least 4 pints of water throughout the day which is massive for me normally...as well as lots of brews! I feel really positive :)

BIG KIM

I am a *NEW* Man!
Thanks guys. Day 2 is going well. Although I felt hungry ALL day. I water loaded before meals and have had at least 4 pints of water throughout the day which is massive for me normally...as well as lots of brews! I feel really positive :)
Thats great sally, you can do it sweety. xx ;)