• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice on having fills

odonnellcheryl

Just need a bit of advice please I had my band fitted 30th July 2013 have lost 5 stone but had lost one stone before I went on milk diet I have a 10 ml band had four Mls in on day of surgery than one and a half I have six and a half in now but the last two fills was only one ml which I had to have half took out than a month later I had another fill and they put half in which I went back and had half of a half out as I couldn't cope that was two weeks ago but what I want to know is when I eat now I get full and start feeling a bit uncomfortable after about 4/5 mouthfuls but after about a hour I feel hungry this might sound stupid but does that mean I have restriction thanks x

To me it sounds as though you have restriction and possibly even too much as if after 4-5 mouthfuls you are full, then hungry an hour after ... are you actually managing to eat enough of the right things? Often, too tight means then eventually turning to the wrong things just to get food down or snacking or less successful weightloss. Better, in my opinion, to be less tight and then be able to eat a bit more of the right sort of foods. Obviously we all have our own views but I have never been really tight, which means I can eat a pretty balanced, decent(ish) volume of food and lost over 150lbs and am keeping it off. We are all different though. What's your provider said? ... as they are the experts. I can imagine it may be frightening to actually ask for more to be taken out of the band, but I would suggest picking up the phone to your dietician and have an honest chat with them as they know you and your history Cheryl x

To me it sounds as though you have restriction and possibly even too much as if after 4-5 mouthfuls you are full, then hungry an hour after ... are you actually managing to eat enough of the right things? Often, too tight means then eventually turning to the wrong things just to get food down or snacking or less successful weightloss. Better, in my opinion, to be less tight and then be able to eat a bit more of the right sort of foods. Obviously we all have our own views but I have never been really tight, which means I can eat a pretty balanced, decent(ish) volume of food and lost over 150lbs and am keeping it off. We are all different though. What's your provider said? ... as they are the experts. I can imagine it may be frightening to actually ask for more to be taken out of the band, but I would suggest picking up the phone to your dietician and have an honest chat with them as they know you and your history Cheryl x
hi thanks for response your actually right because I do snack with things that go down easy to be honest I don't mind when I have had to have a de fill because it was a relief when they took some out and like I say I have lost five stone since July so am losing the weight and I'm one of those where I'm not in a rush to lose it as long as it comes of. My provider is very pleased with me and said I'm doing every right and that I was right to go back and have some took out why would you want to be in pain rather than have a bit took out it don't make sense think I'm going to concertrate on the 20 20 20 rule more and see if that helps thanks for advice xx

I was over-restricted after my last fill and it was just miserable. I had some taken out and the relief was instant. I'm back to being hungry after two to two and a half hours, but I can plan a healthy snack and know it will go down fine!
I hope you find a good place, and congratulations on the tremendous loss!

I was over-restricted after my last fill and it was just miserable. I had some taken out and the relief was instant. I'm back to being hungry after two to two and a half hours, but I can plan a healthy snack and know it will go down fine! I hope you find a good place, and congratulations on the tremendous loss!
. Hi Sarah I know what your saying it's instant when they take some out and such a lovely relief like I say the last two fills I have had to go back and have some out so think in jan they will probably put in as little as possible lol I do think I'm in a good place but do you find you can eat more one day than hardly nothing the next what confuses is when people say they have no restriction do they mean they can eat what they want and as much as they want because from day one I have had restriction how much have you lost and do you have restriction x

what confuses is when people say they have no restriction do they mean they can eat what they want and as much as they want because from day one I have had restriction how much have you lost and do you have restriction x

I am one who does not yet have restriction despite having had 12 fills and being almost 16 months post band surgery. And yes I can eat whatever food I want and in whatever quantity. I just choose not to being aware of the issues over eating or eating too much can cause with the band and that I want to lose weight whether I have restriction from the band or whether just it's placement is enabling that, the latter though has enable me to lose just a few lb short of 11 stone so far :)

The difficult thing however is that the feelings of hunger are constant for me, if I eat a meal because I'm sticking to the portion guidelines it never is enough to take my hunger away so that feeling is always there. It makes it very hard because even after a meal it is then hard not to graze or snack. I am able to eat all foods and I don't need to chew chew chew as it passes ok, I just choose to do so and follow my 30/30/20 rule to prevent stretching the pouch above the band or causing slippages :)

For me, my level of restriction for example means I could now eat a two slices of bread sandwich (almost) whereas pre band I could have eaten two or three times the amount. It means I can eat about 100-120g of chicken or meat, but no more. If I was to eat potatoes or rice or pasta with my meal it would amount generally to between about 80g-100g cooked weight. Typically my total meal size is around 200g-400g in weight ... But you know what our bands can be like .... The very odd time I have even managed a three course meal (minus the potatoes) :rolleyes: usually if I have had a glass of wine and am really relaxed. I say I don't rely on the band and as I know the right size of portion for me to feel comfortably full but not stuffed for a good couple of hours. But if I do have a bad day (and in reality that does happen) ... The band does actually kick in, even if I try to eat far too much chocolate LOL :cry:

TK ... You have had restriction when you were overfilled ... Did that take away any of the feeling of hunger though?

TK ... You have had restriction when you were overfilled ... Did that take away any of the feeling of hunger though?

Yes I was over restricted, but no it didn't take away hunger as I couldn't eat any food at all. As such, I struggled to even get fluids down and at the end was literally on clear fluids which for the last 2 days really struggled to go down. Because I was unable to eat or take food on board yes I was most definitely still hungry, but then if you're not eating at all, then I was bound to be . . .

I am one who does not yet have restriction despite having had 12 fills and being almost 16 months post band surgery. And yes I can eat whatever food I want and in whatever quantity. I just choose not to being aware of the issues over eating or eating too much can cause with the band and that I want to lose weight whether I have restriction from the band or whether just it's placement is enabling that, the latter though has enable me to lose just a few lb short of 11 stone so far :) The difficult thing however is that the feelings of hunger are constant for me, if I eat a meal because I'm sticking to the portion guidelines it never is enough to take my hunger away so that feeling is always there. It makes it very hard because even after a meal it is then hard not to graze or snack. I am able to eat all foods and I don't need to chew chew chew as it passes ok, I just choose to do so and follow my 30/30/20 rule to prevent stretching the pouch above the band or causing slippages :)
omg you have done so well 11 stone that's amazing and like you say you have had no restriction must of been so much harder xx thanks for advice

For me, my level of restriction for example means I could now eat a two slices of bread sandwich (almost) whereas pre band I could have eaten two or three times the amount. It means I can eat about 100-120g of chicken or meat, but no more. If I was to eat potatoes or rice or pasta with my meal it would amount generally to between about 80g-100g cooked weight. Typically my total meal size is around 200g-400g in weight ... But you know what our bands can be like .... The very odd time I have even managed a three course meal (minus the potatoes) :rolleyes: usually if I have had a glass of wine and am really relaxed. I say I don't rely on the band and as I know the right size of portion for me to feel comfortably full but not stuffed for a good couple of hours. But if I do have a bad day (and in reality that does happen) ... The band does actually kick in, even if I try to eat far too much chocolate LOL :cry: TK ... You have had restriction when you were overfilled ... Did that take away any of the feeling of hunger though?
see I have never been able to eat two slices of bread how much have lost x

Back