• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

So this is the beginning of the new me.....

amylou070287

Hello everyone
I've been looking around this site for a few weeks after researching the gastric band op. Everyone seems so helpful and it's great to have somewhere to go to see advice from real people who are on the same journey as you.
I went for my consultation at the Hosputal Group in Leeds today and my band is booked for the 7th April eeeeeekkkk it's actually happening.
After years of yo yo weight losses and gains and a whole childhood of being the chubby one I feel like this could be the beginning of getting myself healthy!
My BMI is 42 so it would have been unfair to try to be referred through the NHS which is why I decided to go private.
The hospital group have been amazing so far and the finance company was quick with an instant decision.
I will be starting the pre op diet for two weeks on friday. It must consist of liquids only.
Does anyone have any suggestions on recipes or ideas of products they found which ended up being an amazing help?
Thank you in advance xx

Hello and welcome, not long now!

Good luck on your pre op diet and the rest of your journey.

I had a band too (now have a sleeve) and they are a wonderful tool as long as you work with it, as with any surgical option though to be honest.

What have they advised re the liquids, i.e have they given you a list of can have and cannot's? If they haven't given you this I would advise you to get that info from them.

My pre op diet for the band was slim fast plus fruit and for the sleeve was milk and yogurt only.

@amylou070287 I used oxo cubes to make a soup type thing as during the day I had a lot of milky coffees and wanted a savoury taste. Good luck .... it really does get easier as the days go on! I actually found the fact that I didn't have much choice a lot easier than having to think about food and make desicons. Xxx

Hello, welcome and good luck with your op :)

Welcome to the site and hope it all goes ok - good luck with your LRD - mine was milk and one low carb low fat meal so can't really help with suggestions - unless milk!

Lots of luck on your journey .. As a fellow Bander I wish you all the luck I the world .. it's a hazard road make no mistake but so worth it when you reap those benefits ..
I was actually on a basic food diet consisting of greens and chicken so cannot help wit the milk diet .. But a lot in here have said it's not to bad as you are also restricted with what you can eat , so nothing to think about ...
keep your diary updated and write down everything your worried about and feeling as this does help a lot .. I like going back over my diary to see how I coped with a few situations and I can also see how miserable I actually was at the beginning .
Ask any questions you like as someone kn here will know the answer or at least point you in the right direction ..
support is vital ..
Mindy
Xxxx

Thank you for all your messages :) today has been a difficult day as I've had a constant headache, just poured my self a hot chocolate(options) for a sweet taste and been told it's not allowed
I think this is by far going to be the hardest stage as I'm on liquids without having the band so I'm constantly hungry.
I'm going to carry on regardless as this is a new me and it was never going to be easy xx

I'm on the milk diet (day 8), so it's just milk or milky coffee (use a bit of sugar free vanilla crusha for a latte), or milkshake. I did try a chicken bovril with a tiny smudge of Thai green curry paste to give it a kick. When I was banded previously, I had some favourite recipes that used to be quite tasty like boil in the bag fish and low fat cheese sauce with a veg stock cube and hot water blended actual made a lovely soup when you are at the thickened liquids / purée stage after the band. Also lentil dhaal soups, chicken and tarragon soup, veg soups, jellies and custards all worked well for me.

@amylou070287 you should really try some of the sugar free crushas or sugar free ribena. Just for a sweet kick!! It def gets easier as the days go on! Keep going chick!! It's worth it xxxxxx

I don't feel like I've had much guidance for this stage at all. I've been having almond milk mixed with a few strawberries for breakfast, runny (homemade) veg soup for lunch and a cup a soup or oxo cube for tea. Apparently I should be avoiding smoothies as fruit is high in suger and I should be having clear liquids???
Xx

Yes clear liquids too! How much milk are you drinking?? I wasn't allowed any fruit on my pre op diet I had to have 4pints of milk a day and 2pints of liquid (sugar free squash or water) xxx

Hi Mazza, tbh I didn't have to follow a diet, as my bmi was already quite low
They just said sensible eating, no alcohol, plenty of exercise and water beforehand
My liver was already small I think?

Post band I followed the rules to the max, liquids 1 week, puree 1 week, softs 2 weeks
I Bought a nutribullet, it has been a godsend, I use it loads
I still eat from a little dish at home, and do my 20 20 20
Good luck
@amylou070287

Thanks for replying, I couldn't remember if you had to or not :D

Great advice too!

Nutribullets are ace and a lot cheaper nowadays too x

I was lucky that I didn't have to do a pre op diet, it was just eat healthily the month before, drink plenty of water, no alcohol and plenty of exercise x
My starting bmi was 36, now its 20
Sounds low, but I'm short with a small frame (size 3 feet ;) )

Post op, I craved spicy food, I still do, its really strange
My BEST buy is Mayflower medium curry powder mix, its around a £1 for a big tub of it, ooh its lovely :p

I make up the curry, add a few tablespoons of FAGE (actually I think thats my best buy, its quite expensive but I love it)
Its massively high in protein, use in sweet or savoury dishes
Shred some chicken or prawns, tin of tomatoes, some lazy garlic, slosh of Worcestershire sauce, a yellow pepper, chopped onions, lovely :)
If you are on liquids blend it right down into a soup, I make a batch up and add whatever I have in the fridge re: protein leftovers

Any other questions or worries, shout out, someone will always come along and help on here if they can
Or any serious worries, ring your team, thats what they are there for x

Good luck x x x

What size did you go from and too?? Xx

Hi Mazza, tbh I didn't have to follow a diet, as my bmi was already quite low
They just said sensible eating, no alcohol, plenty of exercise and water beforehand
My liver was already small I think?

Post band I followed the rules to the max, liquids 1 week, puree 1 week, softs 2 weeks
I Bought a nutribullet, it has been a godsend, I use it loads
I still eat from a little dish at home, and do my 20 20 20
Good luck
@amylou070287

Thank you for your reply, what is the difference between liquid and purée? I'm having smoothies and soups as my liquid but just realised this is probably for purée stage :-/ I'm going to ring THG and ask as I honestly feel like I've got no direction from them yet x

Back