• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice please - Help needed after surgery?

kurvykaren

Hi guys.
Firstly Happy new year to you all, here's hoping it's a great one for all of us.

Some of you may know (or you may not!) that myself and my gorgeous hubby are both having gastric bypasses on the same day - 21 Feb.
I'm wondering if we'll need anyone over to stay with us when we're out of hospital? It's just the two of us, no kids (hopefully that will change a couple of years after surgery lol), we have a house with the bathroom upstairs with a shower over the bath, but we also have a downstairs toilet too so won't need to go up and down the stairs all day. Two very comfy sofa's too so can happily lay around to recover quite comfortably. Obviously we won't need any meals cooked!

My mum was going to come and stay, but as she was taken into hospital before and for christmas with fluid on her lungs and heart problems I don't want her to do anything or be worrying about us. The only other real option is my brother-in-law, but to be honest I'd rather have a wash down of my bits and pieces for a few days than have him help me step up into and out of the bath to have a shower without anything on!

Have I forgotten something important that we'd need someone here to help us with? I'm planning to go to the GP before the Op to get a sick cert for work and any necessary meds in liquid forms so it's all here ready for when we get home.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi Karen...

Personally if I hadn't had kids to look after I wouldn't have needed anyone but I was very lucky & recovered quickly & very well.

May be worth asking yr Mum if she could be on standby just incase? x

I'm newly post op and have also recovered very well and didn't need anyone's help. So long as you have all your bits and bobs ready food wise for the first week or two, as you will probably be quite tired and not able to drive (I was advised not to drive for 2-3 weeks) to the shops. Also you won't be able to do any cleaning/laundry for a couple of weeks, as you shouldn't lift anything. So if that's not a problem and you don't have complications then you may be alright without help. But everyone's different, so it's hard to say for sure. Some people suffer from trapped wind and wound pain etc. whereas I hardly suffered at all.
Good luck either way xx

I think you will be ok too, I didnt really need looking after. I would just jkeep Mum on standby too and see how you get on :D X

interesting thread karen...
my other half keeps asking how many days will he need to take off after the op to help me at home?
x x x

How nice is that eh to be starting your weight loss journey together. I think its lovely as you will be able to help each other keep on track. Good luck with your ops and hope you both have speedy recovery's and not need much help from the brother in law xxxxx

If we didn't have 3 children I'd have been fine. Wasn't anything I couldn't do really xx

likewise the help I had was mainly with the kids as I also recovered really well.

The hospital will fill a perscription for vitamins, fast-tabs, painkillers etc.. at discharge from the ward, which meant I did not have to go to my GP immediatly.

I'd suggest you stock up the freezer / cupboards with soups and liquids, if someone can drop milk off to you for the first few days that might help.

Getting into and out of the shower was no prob as the procedure was done laproscopically, very small incisions.

I also think you will both be fine.

so excited for you Karen as your time draws near.

I had the lap band - so not a major op!

But ...........wishing you and gorgeous hubby all the best!

Don`t forget we want before and after photos, so get the old camera on standby! (but won`t have to strip for the piccys):8855:

If you`re short of milk, its always handy to have a tin of dried milk handy for emergencies!

Love to you both Kat x

i live on my own and am disabled, but luckily live in a bungalow, i was on my own when i came home, but had everythng to hand that i needed, and my daughter came to see me everyday to help me with anything i needed doing, but if theres 2 of you, you could probably do things between you, with help on standby if needed. good luck to you both, i think its lovely that your going through this together, big hugs xxxx

The first 2days you may not want to do much, as long as you have yogart and soup handy you will be ok. I just wanted to be home and sleep in my own bed not sat up. Good luck to you both, its great to do things togather x

I was ok post op , i have three kids and it was mainly the mess they make that was the problem , i did struggle with the washing machine but only for the first week , if you have enough clothes to last you that long you will be fine , good luck xxx

Hi Karen. Don't know if you remember me. We met at the group meeting in August. (hope we did or i've got you mixed up with someone else!) I had my sleeve done in December at Homerton and would suggest couple of things if you don't mind.

1) Make sure you take your own drugs with you in liquid form. They didn't sort out any of mine the whole time i was there.
2)Take some actimel type yoghurts with you. They didn't seem very prepared to 'feed' bariatric patients. But obviously don't eat them until you are given the go ahead!
3) Be prepared for a long wait when you are told you are going to be discharged.

Good luck. Take care.

I had my surgery in June and it was open surgery as opposed to keyhole...

I was in the shower unassisted the day after surgery and home that same day. I had my hubby at home but 4 days after surgery he went off to college for the day...

As long as you can get a drink and have your soups in you should be okay. don't hurt to have someone on standby though xx

Thanks for all your advice. I'm sure we'll manage fine together but will keep bro-in-law on standby just in case! lol

Hanisreg - I do remember you - the blond girl with the sister? So glad you got your op sorted - I seem to remember you saying that you were having problems getting it approved.

What was the hospital like when you were in there? I hope it was all ok. I've read a few posts about it being a general ward and the nursing staff not being that good with bariatric patients, and also someone else said it was really dirty, but I'm guessing/hoping that was just one persons bad experience as everyone else seems to have got on ok.

I'd love to hear how you're getting on and hope you're recovering well. I tried to send you a private message but it says you can't accept them yet.

Take care xx

Back