• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advise needed please. Unsure sleeve vs bypass

Hi all. Thought I'd introduce myself. My story is similar to most of yours. Have yo yo dieted for years and now due to pcos and another medical illness Ive decided to go done the barbaric route to finally shift my weight!
I've been to see my surgeon for a consult 6 weeks ago and I had all my pre op tests (bloods, endoscopy, ultrasound etc) on thursday. The surgeon actually performed my endoscopy so I briefly spoke to him after and he said all is ok so I have my next meeting with him in 2 weeks to decide which surgery I wanted and from that he will set a date for op. I'm hoping in next 6 weeks.
I have my psychologist assessment tomorrow,! Can I ask, what do they want to hear from me....I'm hoping to have this surgery covered in part my insurance comp so I want to make sure that I say all the right reasons for needing it!

Also....my biggest conundrum is I'm undecided about which surgery to have. I have about 5 stone to lose and I don't know which surgery would be the better suited to me.
I'm veering towards sleeve myself as I feel it's maybe better for someone with my amount to lose and also because they don't dissect and resect the bowel and as I'm 30 and hopefully kids are in my future, I was thinking from a "plumbing" point of view that the less needs doing the better.
On the other hand, I have heard that the sleeve is bigger than the pouch left after a bypass and I am aware that over time either will stretch somewhat so I then think maybe I should just have the full bypass.
I briefly asked doc on thursday and he told me its 6of 1 etc but that he prefer bypass...but admittedly he did say its because it's been around longer and has more long term statistics to back it up but I have read that sleeve is really coming into its own especially in the USA !

Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated!
Cheers
S

Hi

Not going to be of much help but the bypass is the better option if you have type 2 Diabeties and the mal-absorbsion element does help with future weight control.

I had the bypass done as I was type 2 diabetic and everyone recommended it, on the day of my surgery because of the weight I had lost in the run up to surgery my BMI Was down to 36 so only just got in as the minimum on the NHS Is 35 which left me only needing to lose another 6 stone to be at the higher range of normal for my height which is 6 foot 2.

Whichever you choose you will loose weight but talk to your team if you are un sure. Also if you are having it on the NHS you might not get the same choice that private patients get. You may find that you PCT Will only fund one option so that is what you will have.

Don't panic to much over it, both work well.

Paul

Hi which op did you have and how have you done I have PCOS awaiting conversion from a band think I'm go to,opt fir the sleeve be good to hear your experience x

Hi Sunshineeyes. I had a gastric sleeve in October. I decided on this instead of the bypass due to my age and the fact that I had no other co-morbidities other than Type 2 diabetes.

I talked the options through with a consultant and after discussing it thoroughly I opted to go for the sleeve, knowing that if it didn't work I had another step I could take - hopefully not necessary!

I also researched the risk and success rates of the different surgeries. I felt that, for me, the by-pass was too drastic, and the band not strict enough.

In the end it will have to be up to you. You have to consider all the pros and cons of each procedure, discuss it with a professional, and then decide.

Don't worry about the stretching of the stomach after sleeve - that's only in extreme cases where people force themselves to eat more than they should. Part of the treatment is to change the way you look at food and the way you feel about eating.

Good luck with whatever you decide - and keep us up to date. :) x

Last edited:
Back