• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol

hesh

hya i went out for the first time after my bypass and thought id go really careful drinkin so i started off with a small white wine by the end of the nyt im managed to sup 6 glasses and was still completely soba is this normal, can a get drunk any more :( ???

ooh i have heard that some people will get drunk very quickly on one glass... others just dont get drunk.. and some people get drunk then sober very quickly... i guess we dont know how we are until we try it.
Im 14 weeks post op and not tried a drink yet... but gonna mail my dietitian and ask her when i can ty it.. as i would like to have a drink on my birthday in august... i know a long way off.. but i plan to have a drink sometime before to see what catagory i fit in lol
Then again.. i would still be careful with drink as you may not of got drunk this time but may get paraletic on one glass next time lol... ooh wouldnt that be a cheap night

We aren't supposed to have alcohol for at least a year. Though a few weeks back, at just over 4 months post op, I went clubbing in Manchester for a weekend. Celebrating my new body on the dance floor. And both Saturday and Sunday night I got blotto. Over 1 bottle of rose wine each night, and more. I felt the alcohol hit me the same way it did pre-op. No less or no more tolerance.
However I watch my calories and the days following realised that this was literally over 700 waisted/empty calories each night. A lot of dancing would be required to burn this off.
For calories a lone I haven't revisited the dreaded vino.
I have friends who are a few years out and enjoy a tipple now and then, some days half a glass they are on the floor, other days 2 bottles and as sober as can be. No rhythm no rhyme.
It is strongly advised though to stay clear of alcohol as long as possible. Your new insides may be very intolerant and you may have health risks. Not forgetting the reality of possibly transferring your food addiction to an alcohol one. But then again we're only human and we're British .... Go figure!

some people are told a year, others are told after a couple of months... i havnt been told anything and there is noting in my guidlelines about alcohol.. so i think on monday i will email my dietitian and see what she says... we all get told different lol. xx

I was drinking after a month. I asked my bariatric nurse If I could and she said yeah but take it steady. And no fizzy beer. I was ok. Just the same as before the op. that was 6 months ago and now I can have about 6 pints and about 3 brandys. No problem. Just don't need a kebab and chips on way home anymore

I was drinking after a month. I asked my bariatric nurse If I could and she said yeah but take it steady. And no fizzy beer. I was ok. Just the same as before the op. that was 6 months ago and now I can have about 6 pints and about 3 brandys. No problem. Just don't need a kebab and chips on way home anymore

ooh how do you get on with the lager as thats fizzy?

Drink smooth bitter or cask. Lager usually not a problem down our local cause it's as flat as a witches t## usually lol.

Hi guys

Everyone is different, some will be fine some will get drunk on very little and some will dump because of the very high sugar levels in some drinks.

Don't forget how many calories there are in a bottle of wine, don't let the need to get sloshed spoil your weigh loss.

Paul

The biggest problem with alcohol is it relaxes everything including your will power. My downfall is crisps and if the wine is flowing I can have 3 bags before I realise what a mistake I've made. Lucky I only drink once a week.

Paul-H said:
Hi guys

Everyone is different, some will be fine some will get drunk on very little and some will dump because of the very high sugar levels in some drinks.

Don't forget how many calories there are in a bottle of wine, don't let the need to get sloshed spoil your weigh loss.

Paul

That's true. Empty Cals that dehydrate and cause weight gain.

But we all love it.

I don't drink very often. So I should be ok keeping off the pop for a few months :)

i dont drink all the time ether... just would be nice occasionally.. if a big do happening x

Raynebubble said:
i dont drink all the time ether... just would be nice occasionally.. if a big do happening x

I understand that. I was thinking my birthday is November. 8 months after my op. So that will be a defo time I drink. Hope no big occasions come up before x

I can drink like a fish! If I go out and drink pub measures of vodka and diet coke, I never seem to get past merry, which is fab. Yet my measures at home have me mortal after 2!! xx

I tried tasting alcoholic drinks when I was in the pub a few weeks ago and it all tastes so different post op.
Wine tasted like bleach and even the smell of vodka (which doesn't really smell??) made me feel sick.
I can drink flat shandy with diet lemonade but that's about it.
xx

hya i went out for the first time after my bypass and thought id go really careful drinkin so i started off with a small white wine by the end of the nyt im managed to sup 6 glasses and was still completely soba is this normal, can a get drunk any more :( ???
'Tis with me! I had my surgery 24th Jan and went out Sat afternoon to watch the football and ended up having 5 bottles of Budweiser over 4 hrs. I dont normally drink unless watching football and this would have usually made me light headed at least.

After reading somewhere the effect of Alcohol is doubled after the RNY I was a little tentative, but the alcohol seemed to have no effect whatsoever.

Weird isn't it.

I was advised that Alcohol would be something that I would have to give up, same with fizzy drinks, But it doesnt really bother me.

Apart from giving you 660 calories of no nutritional value that is

Theyre not really empty calories psychologically - in fact theyre worth their weight in gold. Having a bit of a psychological break I.E few drinks in the pub watching the football, rather than sitting in the house fretting about calories....Lovely Jubliee.

I'll be doing it again next time Liverpool play, after all I can afford 660c for a bit of 'me' time seeing I'm keeping to around 800 a day, I dont snack and have lost two and a half stone since 24 Jan.

Back