• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

All you have to do is stop eating!!!

kirstyjade

I keep telling myself this all the time, why can everybody else control what goes into their mouths but i cant? All i have to do it not eat loads of "bad" food and shrink my portions and then i can do it without risking my life with surgery!! I start off with all the best intentions but i soon cave in, iv had thousands of 1st days (and thats no exageration) and i always give up oh i'll just start tomorrow whats another day today being one of "them" days so surgery seems to be my only option but im scared im not going to make it through surgery because im so massive but its now my only chance
So

But not everybody else can control it. . .there's many of us who cannot! I had fears, genuine fears about anaesthetic, it put me off having surgery for 7+ years so I totally get that. Even tho Im now post op, I still have that fear that if I had to go through it again, I wouldn't survive. People saying "you will be fine" really doesn't help but I do wish I'd had my surgery earlier . . .

I get it. I understand exactly how you're feeling and have probably shared the same 1000's of first days with you too!

Kat x

As Kat says not everyone can. If we could we wouldn't have had surgery. It's like giving up smoking, most people use a patch so they don't have to do it alone, or even people who give up heroin use methadone to help give up. People who use tools to overcome their addiction or whatever you want to call it, have a higher chance of being successful in the long run, and that's is what weight loss surgery is for. To give you that chance of being successful. So don't despair at not being able to do it alone, neither could we, some people just need some extra help and believe me I was the queen of start tomorrows but tomorrow is now today for me and I'm doing alright so far. You will get that chance too. I was absolutely massive and I'm here to tell the tale too :) x

I had a very good reason to be petrified of having surgery, because the last time i had been under general i almost died having my first child. But i survived that and even though i was terrified i didnt want to live as a fat, immobile person anymore. I was sick of it, so i went ahead. I'm 8 days post op and have a blood clot on my lung, which is one of the risks you are told about. If i had my time over i would still go ahead because it means i will still have the band and lose the weight i need to to get to being more mobile.

Thanks guys its nice to know im not alone even though i feel completing alone, i cant believe iv let myself get like this im 25 and iv wastes the last 10 years of my life eating myself into somebody i dont even recognise anymore,
Im living but im definatly not alive
Its scares me so much that i wont make it through the surgery i even cancelled the op 2 years ago because i was so scared but this time will be different because i think i would rather dies than live the rest of my life like this, the only thing that worries me if i do die are the people i will leave behind that is the only reason im scared but i'll have to risk that because theres a chance i'll make it through and could get my life back and i'll do anything for that

I love the way you think of it as a tool iv never looked at it like that and it makes sense

Btw im 28 stone and thats what makes me think i may not make it through
Im going for the bypass

Thanks guys its nice to know im not alone even though i feel completing alone, i cant believe iv let myself get like this im 25 and iv wastes the last 10 years of my life eating myself into somebody i dont even recognise anymore,
Im living but im definatly not alive
Its scares me so much that i wont make it through the surgery i even cancelled the op 2 years ago because i was so scared but this time will be different because i think i would rather dies than live the rest of my life like this, the only thing that worries me if i do die are the people i will leave behind that is the only reason im scared but i'll have to risk that because theres a chance i'll make it through and could get my life back and i'll do anything for that

I love the way you think of it as a tool iv never looked at it like that and it makes sense

Btw im 28 stone and thats what makes me think i may not make it through
Im going for the bypass

Welcome I know how you feel as we all do but look at it another way if you dont do something how long will you live? and the Doctors have done thousands and the enethitists are fantastic and you would not be given the operation if they thought you would really die yes it is a risk but so is crossing the road. Good luck we are all here with ears and shoulders for support

Aww sweetie I feel your pain I've been over weight for as long as I remember and have come to the decision to have a band I know all things have their risks as does anaesthetic but remember the aniesthatist has trained for many years to do what they're doing I work in an operating theatre and see people go to sleep every day your in safe hands try and think I'd all the amazing things you will be doing when you lose that weight here for you anytime xxx

If it was that easy for us all, no one would ever need wls. I tried for over 25 years and failed, even after a massive loss I just regained and added a bit more. Don't beat yourself up over it, you are most certainly not alone. Since being "slim" I have noticed the size of other people, their portion sizes and how many people pick and graze. I always used to think I was alone! Good luck and spend all that energy you are wasting on worrying on imagining your new life and looking forward to it. I swear it's the best feeling ever! xx

I was 30 stone when I first started my journey and through pre op diets was 26 stone 10 on the day of the op. I am now five months out - no regrets, no second thoughts. I am so much happier, healthier and better in every way. And no matter what I could achieve my eating was the one thing I couldn't control and those demons are still there. The operations don't cure that, but they give you a chance to learn to beat them.

Oh hune wish you loads of luck and courage. Its a hard decisión to make. But If u dont trust me it will only get worse. I used to say well at least I am Healthy. Well my feet kill plantar fas and knee is playing up. Am worried will I be able to do my job till Jan when op is am in constant pain! Op booked in Jan. Hope i can do job till then. Dont wait till u r like me hune.

Hi Kirstyjade, I was terrified of having the anaestetic. Convinced I wouldn't make it. Well, I had my gastric sleeve done on sunday. I'll be honest and admit that I feel like I have partied hard with Ronnie Wood whilst being beaten by donkeys but, this is only temporary. And the better times are yet to come.
Do it believe me it's worth it. And I'm only on day 3

I was terrified of having the anaesthetic Kirsty. But the staff here at derby are so lovely, they will ease you mind a little. The anaesthetist was brilliant. When it was time, I honestly can't even remember drifting off to sleep. All I remember was being woken up by the lovely recovery nurses and it was all over. I know it's easy to say, cos people told me not to be scared, but don't be scared. It feels like its all over on a flash xx

Iv officially been put onto the waiting list now and its made everything seem so real, i cant help thinking that i wont make it through because im so big and it really scares me but i know its got to be done and what will be will be
Glad your op went hun i'v got a few questions when you feel up to it x

The main thing you can do now Hun is start cutting down, if you loose a little weight it all goes in your favour please try not to stress over it like Paula said you never really remember going off to sleep just waking up and it's all done with you will be in the bestest of hands promise xxx

Paula Lewis said:
Ask me anything you want x

Where do i start lol...errrrm.... Did you have to have a cathiter (excuse the spelling) if so did it hurt? Did you have drains coming out of your stomach? If so did it hurt when having them taken out? Did you have tubes nose up your nose and into your stomach? And again did it hurt when having them taken out? Are you in alot of pain after surgery? Did you find it painfull going to the toilet ie: wiping and stuff? How long was you in hospital for?

Sorry about all the questions, but as you can see there nearly all pain related im abit of a wuss lol x

kirstyjade said:
Where do i start lol...errrrm.... Did you have to have a cathiter (excuse the spelling) if so did it hurt? Did you have drains coming out of your stomach? If so did it hurt when having them taken out? Did you have tubes nose up your nose and into your stomach? And again did it hurt when having them taken out? Are you in alot of pain after surgery? Did you find it painfull going to the toilet ie: wiping and stuff? How long was you in hospital for?

Sorry about all the questions, but as you can see there nearly all pain related im abit of a wuss lol x

1) nope, no catheter. This was one of my worries. I asked the nurse before going down and she says they don't catheterise people at Derby.
2) No drains. No tubes up nose or down to stomach. Just 5 little neat scars :)
3) The worst pain after surgery is the pain from the gas they use to puff you out during the surgery. I'm not gonna lie to you, it is painful. But if you walk and do your breathing exercises every 2hours, it's gone in no time. Plus they give you excellent pain relief.
4) Going to the toilet and wiping is awkward more than painful. You do feel a little sore, and again there are people there to help you if you need it.
5) I was in for three days. Only because my heartbeat was fast and my blood pressure was low. Usual stay is two days. I cannot say enough how excellent the nursing care is at Derby. Everybody who works on that ward is absolutely brilliant.

If you think of anything else, ask away xx

How are you doing now Paula? Are you having much pain? The ward sounds lovely. Are they very strict with visiting times? Been for my pre op today and got my pre meal replacements x x

They are strict with visiting times. And if you want someone to stay with you before your op, make sure they are female because your on a female bay. I'm home now. I'm not in much pain really just sore and stiff. I wish I could have brought one of the profiling beds home with me lol.

Good luck with your pre op diet, let me know how it goes :) xx

Try not to worry about the op they operate on many people heaver than you quite frequently which puts it into context. Yes some have problems but the vast majority survive and get over them. Post op in hospital can be a challenge as some have discomfort, wind pain or other problems but if you do as they ask you should be fine. I did have a catheter (different hospital) and it is fine just feel a tug and a sliding sensation when they deflate it and take it out. It goes in while you are under.

The op will be a wonderful tool to help you lose weight and give you time to re-educate your eating. Like you say control is usually something we don't have. Now the operation does not change your head you have to do that, it just helps you in the first 1-2 years if you are having a bypass. After that you hope you have learned to eat less and better choices as your restriction is less as time goes by. Overall I lost 23 stones, 10 by dieting, the rest after bypass and life is brilliant if challenging trying to keep the weight off but mostly managing it. I was 55 when I had my op don't let your life go by ruined by being so large its hell on earth as I know. Start living and lose weight by whatever route you chose the benefits are enormous.

Good luck I'm sure you will do well, spend this time pre-op just making small changes which will all help.

M

Back