• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help

I'm interested in that too but so desperate to have the band I haven't asked things like that! Rubbish. I wish I had the £ to go private but on the other hand I think I will get more support through the NHS. If they refuse the surgery (my BMI is 38 and I have dodgy (at best) comorbidities) I will then go down the private route. I need to know what happens at the initial Dietician appointment. I am so anxious and have another four weeks to wait!
I'm on Facebook as Leanne Forster James.

Just added u.
X

Hi,

Just wanted to say I was 28 when I had my surgery, with about 10 stone to lose. I celebrated my 30th in August as a skinny mini, albeit a 5months pregnant one at the time!

WOW That's brilliant Shellbell.
If you don't mind me asking did you have any severe problems with excess skin??? I'm thinking it's pretty likely i'm going to need further surgery for skin removal.

Hi Ag

Nice to see you over here. Loose skin is a real risk, Shels not about but she does, she has posted that before so not breaking any confidences.

Mr Amorri is very well thought of here. I don't think you will want to go down to Chichester where Mr Summers is and he doesn't operate other than down south

Its a decision not to be taken lightly but one that can bring a great reward of weight loss but can bring problems too. Research is the key then make an appointment to discuss then make your final decision. For me that research never ends even 9 months post op its not a straightforward journey by any means.

M

Hi,

Yes, I have a fair bit of excess skin on my tummy, bum and thighs. Luckily my arms aren't too bad! The skin has taken a lot of getting used to, and it does knock my confidence. But even with all that I am so much happier than I used to be. Hubby definately doesn't mind ;)

Luckily my PCT fund abdominoplasty, so I will be going down that route later this year or early next (I have to maintain a healthy BMI for 2 years first).

Hi there.

Sounds like you've had some great advice given already. I just went to my GP and told them I wanted the surgery. They agreed I would be good for it and put in the referral. The hospital contacted me soon after and invited me in for an information session. It was there that all my questions got answered...including which type of op would be best for me.

Be brave, ask your GP and find out how it works in your area. It's really not as scary once you've started it off.

Best of luck

Lisa x

Can any post op'ers tell me what they eat during a typical day now???

XXXX

Hi Ag

I'm coming up to 18 months post bypass, i've reached and exceeded my goal weight now and to date lost 13 stone, i've been really lucky and have very little excess skin, most of it has tightened up and is still tightening up now, though i put a lot of this down to the amount of exercise i now do.

So what could you expect to eat at my satge - well for breakfast i had a bacon sandwich, which was two bread, buttered and two slices of bacon, red sauce - for lunch i had a roast chicken and roasted vegatable sandwich, with mayonaise - dinner was a hungarian goulash which was beef in a kind of red sauce with loads of veg and rice, loads of teas and coffee's, juice etc .......thats about an average day for me, give or take.

Sam raised some good valid points about privately funded ops, there's a flip side to everything of course, though i dont honestly know anyone thats had an issue having been privately funded other than aftercare bother, it seems its a mine field out there regarding the amount of support and information you get, i went through Healthier Weight ( google them) and cant fault there aftercare, i'm now outside of my agreement, but i do have access to the support groups and my dietician for life ( not that i honestly need him these days)

People can and do rush into doing this, for me the day i stood on the consultants scales at 25 stone i knew what i had to do, he explained and answered all my questions, i spent an hour and half with him talking it through, i knew what i was doing and two weeks later i was on the table - i have to say i've never had a day since my op when i've regretted having it done, it truelly is life changing stuff.

I have some leaflets which Shaw Somers gave me about both procedures to help me decide which to go for.

I'm not sure whether I will be able to upload them onto the site but I don't mind posting a copy to you if that would help.

That'd be great or I could give you my email address to scan them and email them if that's easier for you. That's so helpful, thank you.
X

Hi,

Yes, I have a fair bit of excess skin on my tummy, bum and thighs. Luckily my arms aren't too bad! The skin has taken a lot of getting used to, and it does knock my confidence. But even with all that I am so much happier than I used to be. Hubby definately doesn't mind ;)

Luckily my PCT fund abdominoplasty, so I will be going down that route later this year or early next (I have to maintain a healthy BMI for 2 years first).

Yer I guess if your arms are ok that's the worst bit, the rest can be hidden more than easily no matter what the weather. I've just noticed we're the same height too so that gives me a good indication I guess. Well done again, and congratulations on the baby.

X

Hi there.

Sounds like you've had some great advice given already. I just went to my GP and told them I wanted the surgery. They agreed I would be good for it and put in the referral. The hospital contacted me soon after and invited me in for an information session. It was there that all my questions got answered...including which type of op would be best for me.

Be brave, ask your GP and find out how it works in your area. It's really not as scary once you've started it off.

Best of luck

Lisa x

My GP advised they wouldn't refer me for surgery until i'd undergone their 12 week weight loss plan with nurse health visitor type person at the surgery. I went for my consultation but then cancelled my first appt because I hadn't stuck to the plan and hadn't lost any weight. Looking back probably not losing weight would have been a good indicator for them too but too late now. I could restart that again but to be honest I feel that would just take me down the route of not doing it and then i'd end up in exactly the same place next year if not heavier and just be even more down about it all. I feel like if possible I should just jump in while it's exciting and while I feel motivated and ready for change if that makes sense. Biggest problem is finding out how to go about it.

Thanks for your help.

X

Hi Ag

I'm coming up to 18 months post bypass, i've reached and exceeded my goal weight now and to date lost 13 stone, i've been really lucky and have very little excess skin, most of it has tightened up and is still tightening up now, though i put a lot of this down to the amount of exercise i now do.

So what could you expect to eat at my satge - well for breakfast i had a bacon sandwich, which was two bread, buttered and two slices of bacon, red sauce - for lunch i had a roast chicken and roasted vegatable sandwich, with mayonaise - dinner was a hungarian goulash which was beef in a kind of red sauce with loads of veg and rice, loads of teas and coffee's, juice etc .......thats about an average day for me, give or take.

Sam raised some good valid points about privately funded ops, there's a flip side to everything of course, though i dont honestly know anyone thats had an issue having been privately funded other than aftercare bother, it seems its a mine field out there regarding the amount of support and information you get, i went through Healthier Weight ( google them) and cant fault there aftercare, i'm now outside of my agreement, but i do have access to the support groups and my dietician for life ( not that i honestly need him these days)

People can and do rush into doing this, for me the day i stood on the consultants scales at 25 stone i knew what i had to do, he explained and answered all my questions, i spent an hour and half with him talking it through, i knew what i was doing and two weeks later i was on the table - i have to say i've never had a day since my op when i've regretted having it done, it truelly is life changing stuff.

WOW! 13 stone. That's amazing. Well done you.
I'll bet you feel like a completely different person. It's given me goosebumps and is very exciting to read someones story when it's so positive.

If you don't mind me asking, did you have any major problems with eating at first, with the "dumping" etc or have you found yourself relatively ok all along? - Off to check out that website now.

XXX

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input so far. You are all a fountain of knowledge.

XXX

Well Silversurfer they certainly don't waste any time do they. lol! I registered for a download of a booklet and the next thing I knew I was talking to a lovely lady on the telephone and possibly have a consultation in 10 days time. lol!

Shellbell I was freaked out a little bit because she mentioned some women were favouring the band over the bypass as there was less restriction to the stomach and you can consume less of the nutrients you need. I have never really been one of those girls who has sat and wondered and waited for being a Mum but I guess not having a partner plays a big part in that. I guess it's the devil and the deep blue sea. I could lose weight and find love but then because of the op find it hard to conceive. It does inspire me that you managed to have op and conceive though so it's obviously not impossible.

This is all so complex, I just think I've made a decision or come to some conclusion and then something else comes and bites me on my extremely large bottom! lol!

I do have to say though I am well impressed with what I have already seen and heard from Healthier Weight. Good recommendation SS. Cheers. :D

XXX

Back