• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help

AG1981

I am thinking of wls but am not sure how to go about things as I normally try to pretend to myself that I can do it on my own.

Bypass vs band????

How would I go about finding a surgeon in the area and is there websites I should be looking at to find out their reputation etc....?????

Will a bypass mean I can never go out and have fun, get drunk with friends again???

Just for some info. I am 28, 30 in 16 months and hoping not to look like a bus when i'm 30. I have approx 10-11 stone to lose before I am within the healthy bmi range.

Your help please???

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

:confused:

A bypass does not mean that you will never be able to go and have fun again nor does it mean that will never be able to have a drink or eat out again.

Which ever type of surgery you choose the important thing to remember is its a tool to be used wisely.

I had a bypass May 2009 and have been able to go out and enjoy myslef several times since. The first was at a wedding 2 weeks post op, no alcohol or food passed my lips and it did not bother me one bit. Over christmas I have eaten and drank with no trouble at all. As far as alocohol is concerened post op you learn that you don't really need it to have a good time and when you do have a small tipple the key (as with anything post op) is moderation.

The best thing to do is research loads and loads, consider your eating habits, how much will power you have -because both ops require will power, a band requires loads more than a bypass in the early days but the will power needed with a bypass increases the further post op you get(and I am speaking from experience here). Read peoples stories on here and also ask lots of questions. The best decission made is an informed decision. XxX

I'm as confused as you are hun..... the more I read the more I want to know. All I know is that it has to be shifted for me. I hit the big 40 this year and I have no intentions of being so huge when I do.

All the best with your decision making :) xxx

Hi AG. Welcome to the WLS section.

Terri has given brilliant advice above. At the start you need to be asking yourself some questions...

Whats your willpower like?
Have you got a sweet tooth?
So you snack lots?
Do you binge?
Are you looking at going private or hoping for NHS funding?

The first place to look regarding funding is Bospa.org There you will find the NICE guidelines for getting NHS funding. Not all PCT's follow these but it gives you a good idea about what is required.

If going down the NHS route you need to go to your GP and ask for a referral. You will need to show your GP what you have tried so far in your efforts to lose weight. WLS should always be the last resort.

As for the band/bypass question, these are my reasons for choosing bypass. I was a volume eater, didnt particularly snack or have much of a sweet tooth, and also I knew I didnt have the willpower required with a band. In my opinion its easier to cheat with a band, and although the bypass appears more restrictive, thats what I needed.

Im only 4 months post bypass. Im 5 stones down, can eat most things now but cant manage more than 1/2 slice bread in one sitting. Ive had alcohol a couple of times, but not pushed the limits yet. I eat my meals off a little tea plate.

Its a massive lifestyle change, whichever op you choose. The positives massively outweigh the negatives for me though.

Good luck hun xx

Thanks so much for your replies and ur friendly welcomes.

I'm thinking of going private because I feel like I just can't wait any longer. My GP will not refer me until i've been down the weight loss route with the practice but I know myself how I do not have the will power. Would any of you recommend any websites that tell you about good surgeons in ur area???

I have read that a bypass helps illiminate the cravings?? Is this true.

Don't get me wrong i'm certainly not expecting it to be easy but I am hoping with a little bit of my freedom taken away I can hope at one day at some point to be a little bit happy. Sick of being misserable now.

Plus I can't cope with being single for another 7 years, and I know it's my own problem in that I lack confidence, I lack self esteem, I feel I don't deserve to be loved..... but that won't change at this weight.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! I need to do something fast.

XXXXX

If you are thinking of going private, you cant go far wrong with looking up Basil Ammorri (sp?). Many private peeps on here have had their ops with him (as well as lots of NHS folk) and everyone says what a wonderful surgeon he is. Not sure which companies he works through.

As for Bypass eliminating cravings - sorry hun, but in my experience the answer is no. The head hunger is still there as much as it ever was, and I often have days where I put my head in the fridge every 5 minutes. It does give me the physical barrier that I need though, so that overeating is impossible.

Personally and dont take this the wrong way if you can afford to go private for the bypass but qualify for nhs funding then why not have the funding and use the bypass money for the excess skin removal after?

I don't think you'll get much change out of ten grand if you go private, the waiting may not be so bad...

Good luck with your choice xx

ps, fat birds can pull too :) x

Personally and dont take this the wrong way if you can afford to go private for the bypass but qualify for nhs funding then why not have the funding and use the bypass money for the excess skin removal after?

Good thinking Batman!

Did you say 'fatman' or 'batman' sorry but we had a lot of fat abuse on here today :)

Good job we can smile at ourselves and know humour...

You're looking great Sam, i was watching a tv ad the other day and thought the woman in it looked just like you will when you finish your journey.... think it was for mascara.. xx

lol! I know they can but not if they're like me and walk around with their head down and daren't speak or look at anyone. Hence me saying it's a personal problem more than a weight problem but I know hand on heart it will never be relieved while i'm this weight.

If I want to be picky too, like go for a keyhole bypass like Mr Summers does, how do I find that out???

I know I am asking lots of questions but i'm hoping to get assistance from u knowledgeable folk.

XXX

If I had my time over again I would chose a surgeon who had done over a 100 operations and did more than one type. I'd then ask their advice and go with the operation that they recommended.

If going private hun, you can defo have keyhole. In fact I think most area's offer bypass as keyhole as standard. Having said that, you will have to sign a disclaimer giving them permission to open you up if anything goes wrong.

Did you say 'fatman' or 'batman' sorry but we had a lot of fat abuse on here today :)

Good job we can smile at ourselves and know humour...

You're looking great Sam, i was watching a tv ad the other day and thought the woman in it looked just like you will when you finish your journey.... think it was for mascara.. xx

Thanks Julie, These bloomin celebs styling themselves to look like me.... gets on my nerves LOL.

And it was defo batman hun... wouldnt dare call anyone fatman :eek:

I don't think you'll get much change out of ten grand if you go private, the waiting may not be so bad...

Good luck with your choice xx

ps, fat birds can pull too :) x

I disagree with this completely - if you can afford to have the op done privately then go for it, you could be in and done within a few weeks, NHS funding will take you months and months of heart ache and agony trying to get, you will have to be evaluated and assessed phycologically and ultimately have to offer proof that you have undertaken many different dieting methods and failed - some people wait a year for an op !

Personally i couldn't wait that long, i made the decision to have a bypass and two weeks later was on the table, had i gone NHS i'd still probably be 25 stone now, rather than at goal weight and getting on with my life.

Not everyone suffers from excess skin, a lot depends on your age and the amount of exercise you do post op, i have very little stretched skin now.

I had my op with Basil Ammori privately at the Alexandra in Manchester, he is agreat surgeon who has operated on many on this forum, i dont know of anyone who has had any sort of post operative issues and when i had my op Mr Ammori had at that time done over 860 successful bypasses, i'm told by my consultant that he is one of the top bariatric surgeons in the world, gauging his success against the many of successful loser here on this forum i dont think anyone going with him could really do wrong.

One last thing - Band or bypass ? - people will tell you all sorts about both ops, i had 12 stone to lose, statistically a band did not offer me the weight lose i would need to get to within a healthy BMI - therefore it was a no brainer, personally i think anyone with 10 stone plus to lose will struggle with a band.

I disagree with this completely - if you can afford to have the op done privately then go for it, you could be in and done within a few weeks, NHS funding will take you months and months of heart ache and agony trying to get, you will have to be evaluated and assessed phycologically and ultimately have to offer proof that you have undertaken many different dieting methods and failed - some people wait a year for an op !

On the flip side of this Richard, I think people can rush into private surgery too quickly without doing the research that is required (AG,not suggesting that you are doing that hun)

Time and time again we see people who thought that bypass or band was going to be the answer to their prayers, or that the operation was going to do solve all their head issues, or they had no idea of the possible complications.

Yes its hard waiting for NHS funding, and jumping through the hoops that are put before us, but one things for sure, it certainly gives you plenty of time to research, research and then research some more.

And then there is the issue of long term follow up for private patients. What if you have complications? What if these complications occur when your after care package has expired? I have seen on other forums where patients have been told that the NHS will not fund the treatment for these complications.

What's good for the goose isnt always good for the gander.

Thanks Julie, These bloomin celebs styling themselves to look like me.... gets on my nerves LOL.

Ha ha.... oh the problems we do suffer. :D

arrrrrgh am a bit scared of the after care thingy now. Could the NHS really turn me away if I was ill post op?

:(

Hiya AG1981,

I'm new to all of this too. And seem to be feeling exactly the same as you (although I have a husband I can't understand how?). Maybe we can go through this together?

I have made the first move and spoken to my GP. I have an appointment at the Dietetics dept. at Gloucester Hospital on 15th February. Otherwise I am almost completely in the dark about what happens next.

I am also sick and tired of not living my life, not having the energy to go out through the front door and feeling like a second class citizen. Most days I don't get out of my pyjamas or brush my hair. It's so sad!

So if I haven't put you off by being so melancholy let's be mates! I think we could both do with a bit of support!

Leanne xxx

Hi Leanne,

Let's be mates - Sounds good to me. :D

As for the having a husband thingy I'm sure you're a lovely person inside and out and you deserve him. Aren't we all horrible to ourselves. Bad times!!

I've been trying to find surgeons in my area and then looking at threads on here about them. It's all very confusing.

Can any post op'ers tell me what they eat during a typical day now???

(See more questions, I'm like one of those kids that's just discovered the word.... "Why")

XXXX

Back