• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am i fooling myself

hopelesscase

Reading the posts on here about excess skin has got me thinking am i fooling myself. :confused:
I have always been a big girl right from birth 10lb 5oz and first went to weight watchers at 11yr old.:cry:
Anyway to cut a long story short after years of attempting to loose weight only to gain it back i found myself at 44 and 21stone slipping in the shower and dislocating my shoulder as a result of it 12 months on i have just had an op on it and although it is miles better its still not as good as it was.:sigh:
After i slipped i started questioning myself that if i had been lighter would i have slipped in the shower and the answer was yes. Would i have done as much damage and the answer was no as i had kept hold of the shower door as i went down my arm took my full weight.
It was then i decided to try lipotrim and i managed to loose 3 stone on it and in the 3 months i was on it really addressed my relationship with food.
I decided to come off the LT and eat a healthy diet but unfortunatly my weight just platued.
I then went for a health check and my blood pressure came back boarder line this really was my next wake up call as upto now my health had been ok.
After speaking to my GP he refered my to weight management and they surgested a bypass. I had never considered surgery prior to this and since that appointment have done nothing but read up about bypass both the positives and negeatives.
I have never really looked at the smaller side of things so much as the health side of things. I have 2 disabled sisters and now that both our parents have gone i sort of feel as though i need to be as fit as possiable to be able to help them both when needed and not me needing their help due to ill health assossiated with obesety.
But the more i read the posts regarding excess skin im thinking I have always for as long as i can remember had an apron of skin and my boobs have never looked like anyones i have ever seen. Is it just me or am i fooling my self into thinking that the health side of things is the most important.
HC

The health side is absolutely the most important thing! I havent noticed a huge difference in my skin elasticity but thats something Ill worry about when I get to goal. Id far rather be a healthy weight, look better, feel better and have saggy skin than be my original weight.

ah hc 1st of all a massive big hug to u hun, well as u know i had my bypass 15 months ago and so far have lost 8.5 stone, i was 25 stone to begin with so i know about the apron hun and the boobs lol, but as ive lost all that everything has shrunk with it, yes im starting to look a bit saggy but its well worth it hun, and the positive thing is i can do anything now theres nothing to stop me, i never had health issues b4 my op funny enough, even though i was really big, i understand your worries over this but as time goes on its the least of your worries trust me, and problems can be fixed, take care xxx

Hi HC, there is no doubt that your health is the most important thing in the world ever - once that is gone you can't get it back - better to have saggy skin and good health than perfect skin and a quality of life you cannot enjoy due to bad health xx

I have to agree with everyone here - a healthy lifestyle and saggy skin is far better than having a perfect body and loads of health problems.

Whether you have surgery is a matter for you to decide but any weight that you lose has got to be better for your body.

Thanks everyone. I knew in my heart of hearts thet my health was the most important thing. Like i say i have always been big but have always looked at it from the point of view that thats me. Talking to my neighbour the other day she said your not big your HC.
But the more i think about this the more i think what my size has stopped me doing over the years. One of my biggest things is spacial awareness as i obviously think im smaller than i am but i know looking at my clothes what my real size is.
God what a journey this is, not a roller coaster as im not having highs and lows but real winding and twisting thoughts and feelings about me.

Of course your health has to be the priority. the skin side of things you can deal with later if you need to. with extra confidence and self esteem you may not even feel the need too. keep positive x

Back