• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am I pushing my luck???

drod78

I followed Dr's order and did my liquid diet and then off to cream soup.. As I let you know the Dr told me I could eat fruit only a banana.. Since its soft texture but so are peaches so I gave that a try.. No issues and it was soooo delicious mouth watering.. Now I sort of feel like I'm anorexic since I chew on different foods I can't have yet then spit them out sheesh just miss the taste of real food.. So today I ate half of a grapefruit making sure I didn't eat any of the veins just the fruit itself it was really good no issues either.. I'm on my 2nd week post op and I'm just tired of eating things that actually make me sick like the grits.. So I forgot to include I actually had some ginger ale today it was sitting for a while to get rid of the fizz then I had some it went down fine no issues either.. So now I'm just going to continue to eat what I think is best so I'll start my purée soon so hopefully that will definitely taste and make me feel so much better..

I followed Dr's order and did my liquid diet and then off to cream soup.. As I let you know the Dr told me I could eat fruit only a banana.. Since its soft texture but so are peaches so I gave that a try.. No issues and it was soooo delicious mouth watering.. Now I sort of feel like I'm anorexic since I chew on different foods I can't have yet then spit them out sheesh just miss the taste of real food.. So today I ate half of a grapefruit making sure I didn't eat any of the veins just the fruit itself it was really good no issues either.. I'm on my 2nd week post op and I'm just tired of eating things that actually make me sick like the grits.. So I forgot to include I actually had some ginger ale today it was sitting for a while to get rid of the fizz then I had some it went down fine no issues either.. So now I'm just going to continue to eat what I think is best so I'll start my purée soon so hopefully that will definitely taste and make me feel so much better..

The danger is, it feels and tastes good, but what's it doing to your new tummy, maybe the acid could cause problems early on.

If its on your post op diet sheet then the doctors approve, if its not, then why are we trying it.

For the sake of the future of your tummy, take it easy for a few more weeks. We wold hate to see you have even rushed in hospital with problems.

It's not just the texture but the acids and natural sugars. This may bring your early dumping.

If you want less chance of problems follow the rules :D

If you want MORE chance of problems don't follow the rules :eek:

You need to learn to make the lifetime changes and cheating now isn't helping this. Your provider gave you rules for a reason for a good recovery, not so you could break them.

I've had 18 (yes eighteen) weeks on milk, try that one :8855:

We all want you to succeed, so you need to knuckle down and stick to the rules, this initial post-op period isn't great, but it will pass in time and get better.

Sorry, am a realist and tough love, and the truth will be better than kittens 'n rainbows :)

The danger is, it feels and tastes good, but what's it doing to your new tummy, maybe the acid could cause problems early on.

If its on your post op diet sheet then the doctors approve, if its not, then why are we trying it.

For the sake of the future of your tummy, take it easy for a few more weeks. We wold hate to see you have even rushed in hospital with problems.

It's not just the texture but the acids and natural sugars. This may bring your early dumping.

Thanks for the concern Peter I got some caffeine free 0 calorie coke so lets see how that goes if its not to good I'll stop.. I definitely don't want to get rushed to the hospital over this.. Just gonna take it one day at a time

If you want less chance of problems follow the rules :D

If you want MORE chance of problems don't follow the rules :eek:

You need to learn to make the lifetime changes and cheating now isn't helping this. Your provider gave you rules for a reason for a good recovery, not so you could break them.

I've had 18 (yes eighteen) weeks on milk, try that one :8855:

We all want you to succeed, so you need to knuckle down and stick to the rules, this initial post-op period isn't great, but it will pass in time and get better.

Sorry, am a realist and tough love, and the truth will be better than kittens 'n rainbows :)

Thanks Jemima I'm going to stick to the rules and Lil by Lil get gradually start eating foods again...

Thanks for the concern Peter I got some caffeine free 0 calorie coke so lets see how that goes if its not to good I'll stop.. I definitely don't want to get rushed to the hospital over this.. Just gonna take it one day at a time

You should have been told no fizzy drinks after your op, well I was, the gas will stretch your tummy.

I agree with what the others have said, fizzy drinks are an absolute no no, how are you eating the grapefruit? I am 3 weeks post op bypass and am still on purée, l am totally sticking to the rules and feel great, please stick to them to make it work for you.

You must be very careful the join in your intestine and bowel needs time to heal before you try food thicker than puree you risk blocking the hole that your food passes through which would result ina further operation its your choice you are playing russian roulette with your hralth. vary your foods spice them up to make them taste better it will be better for you in the long run

I agree with what the others have said, fizzy drinks are an absolute no no, how are you eating the grapefruit? I am 3 weeks post op bypass and am still on purée, l am totally sticking to the rules and feel great, please stick to them to make it work for you.

Thanks I do plan on sticking with the rules I just need to stay on the ball.. I hate to see things going to waste especially fruit... I figured as long as there soft they should be edible as the Dr told me..

You must be very careful the join in your intestine and bowel needs time to heal before you try food thicker than puree you risk blocking the hole that your food passes through which would result ina further operation its your choice you are playing russian roulette with your hralth. vary your foods spice them up to make them taste better it will be better for you in the long run

That's what I've been doing I ate smashed up avacado today and mashed up chicken you can say puréed I'm just getting used to eating little by little again..

I love peaches too drod and can't wait to taste them again ...it's been 8 months since my last one. Unfortunately it is quite an acidic fruit so I would steer clear and same goes for grapefruit. Stick to your diet plan laid out by you're provider and remember chances are you will able to eat normalish very soon. My mantra just now is ..It isn't going to be boring forever ;)

All hospitals are different at srh you go straight on to purée no liquid stage apart from first day. But fuzzy drinks were a big no no
If your looking for taste just use spices.
You have been given this opportunity please don't waste it. I don't mean to sound harsh but you sound like once you've made your descion then that's what you will do regardless of advice from here and experts.

I went thru a phase of a chew and spit out things and it is addictive and not worth starting with its gross when you think about it, I was also a few years post op and craving foods id not had in years, if your doing this after a few weeks I think you need to see a councellor asap as from your eating habbits your already setting yourself up to fail

Thanks I do plan on sticking with the rules I just need to stay on the ball.. I hate to see things going to waste especially fruit... I figured as long as there soft they should be edible as the Dr told me..

If you don't like things going to waste, maybe WLS isn't for you, if you go out for a meal, you are going to waste lots. Sorry just being honest.

You could always make the fruit into a smoothie droid, to save it going to waste. I have a recipe if you'd like it :)

I think it is really vital to remember that the surgery makes it physically impossible to fulfil old habit portion size 'expectations', both our own and that of others we may share mealtimes with. We are not able to clear a dinner plate now and should not even try to. Therefore for me, my provider's 'rule of granny's tea plate' is what I try to stick to - a plumb size amount each of greens, protein and carbs, taking a teaspoon of each in rotation and stopping when I get uncomfortable, and just binning what's left over. At that point there is no negotiation with my system, and I wouldn't want to even try. I also have a Chinese rice bowl which I used for the puree stage, and is still in use as a portion size guide if I do runny foods.

It is hard buying and preparing such small amounts of food but it is the future for us and we have to accept that.. And we must not allow ourselves to feel pressure to force our new system to not allow food going to waste, as that smacks of somehow justifying making continued overeating (what got us into this situation in the first place) OK because food is not being wasted Simply don't prepare it and certainly don't buy it.

The surgeon's can change our bodies, but only we can change our heads.

The only way to change our life, is to change our mind.

That's true Lilac but I was just talking about the fruit getting old and no one eating them in my home.. I do understand its a lifestyle change and I only make the amount of food that I believe I'm going to eat and even that is to much at time I don't eat it all so I just save the rest for another day or I just dump it out. I definitely don't want to stretch my pouch and I do want to continue eating smaller portions that's the whole purpose of getting the surgery to make a lifestyle change. Next week I start my purée stage so hopefully that will be much better and taste so much better too.. No one said it would be easy it's 35 yrs of bad eating habits I'm trying to break here I just need to stay focused and mentally prepare myself that soon this all will pass...

Back