• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am I pushing my luck???

If you don't like things going to waste, maybe WLS isn't for you, if you go out for a meal, you are going to waste lots. Sorry just being honest.

It's not about things I'm just talking about the fruit food goes to waste all the time I can't way everything that's going to waste if so I would stay obese and I would've never gotten the WLS. I know this is a life change and if I go to a restaurant whatever I don't eat I will take home it wouldn't go to waste. I didn't have this WLS to fail I had it done to help me in the process of my weight loss surgery.. Eventually I'll be able to enjoy food again I just need to be patient.. Like they say good things come to those who wait!!!

I love peaches too drod and can't wait to taste them again ...it's been 8 months since my last one. Unfortunately it is quite an acidic fruit so I would steer clear and same goes for grapefruit. Stick to your diet plan laid out by you're provider and remember chances are you will able to eat normalish very soon. My mantra just now is ..It isn't going to be boring forever ;)

Thanks for the well wishes Fem I just have to be patient all of this soon will pass and I'll be back to normal soon.. Even though I still have to steer clear from food I use to enjoy to continue to be on the right track to weight loss... Just have those type of foods once in a blue moon... I'm ok with that..

All hospitals are different at srh you go straight on to purée no liquid stage apart from first day. But fuzzy drinks were a big no no
If your looking for taste just use spices.
You have been given this opportunity please don't waste it. I don't mean to sound harsh but you sound like once you've made your descion then that's what you will do regardless of advice from here and experts.

I always seek advice Happy because its good to hear others stories on things that worked for them and things that didn't. It's like having a team of experts that have been though the same things except everyone's story is different. I appreciate everyone's advice and concern. You are right I will always chose to do what I think is best for me but in the process I do consider others advice and there own success in getting through these stages. I do plan on sticking to the diet and I'm only a week away to actually eating soft foods and crackers,toasted bread, the list goes on so I can be patient because at the end the reward is so worth it!!!

It is easy to talk about getting back to 'normal'. I've done it myself. But in fact, it isn't going to happen so the sooner we get that notion out of our heads the better, in my view. I had a long convo on this with my best friend yesterday who had his bypass 8 years ago. It's a whole new life, where we will be able to experience a variety of normal foods again, but our lives will never ever be as they were pre WLS. Thank goodness. Now is all about the excitement of the future, and waving cheerio to the old, including fundamentally all the foods, drinks and habits which lead us to this point. They seemed good friends in the old life but were in fact our worst enemies. They are not welcome round here any more.

Just saying.

It is easy to talk about getting back to 'normal'. I've done it myself. But in fact, it isn't going to happen so the sooner we get that notion out of our heads the better, in my view. I had a long convo on this with my best friend yesterday who had his bypass 8 years ago. It's a whole new life, where we will be able to experience a variety of normal foods again, but our lives will never ever be as they were pre WLS. Thank goodness. Now is all about the excitement of the future, and waving cheerio to the old, including fundamentally all the foods, drinks and habits which lead us to this point. They seemed good friends in the old life but were in fact our worst enemies. They are not welcome round here any more.

Just saying.

You are perfectly correct and I am we'll aware that my life around food is very different...It has been that way for 9 month now as a ballooner before beoming a bypasser. I'm fortunate in that I never ever had a sweet tooth. my choices were healthy but my portions were ridiculous.
In defence to drod we are talking fruit here... So are you saying that further down the line I still won't be able to eat fruit?? That is not what my dietician has laid out for me but fruit as a smoothie hell no I would get and have already been berated for that one. Of course there are foods that we have to avoid for life but as far as my dietician is concerned her aim is getting me to eat normally within the limitations that a bypass presents... And woe betide me if I mention the word diet to her.

Just saying.

That's so true as the say old habits die hard.. Lilac when I say normal I mean eating regular food not broth or liquids. I didn't mean eating all the junk that led me to this obesity that crept up on me over the yrs.. In no way do I want to continue living in a plus sized body.. You get tired of not being able to wear what you want because it doesn't come in your size.. Being overweight comes with alot of negatives.. I would rather have some positives in my life and focus on the positive..

You are perfectly correct and I am we'll aware that my life around food is very different...It has been that way for 9 month now as a ballooner before beoming a bypasser. I'm fortunate in that I never ever had a sweet tooth. my choices were healthy but my portions were ridiculous.
In defence to drod we are talking fruit here... So are you saying that further down the line I still won't be able to eat fruit?? That is not what my dietician has laid out for me but fruit as a smoothie hell no I would get and have already been berated for that one. Of course there are foods that we have to avoid for life but as far as my dietician is concerned her aim is getting me to eat normally within the limitations that a bypass presents... And woe betide me if I mention the word diet to her.

My Dr said I'll be able to eat fruit in 4 wks so that's just 2 wks away.. But keep in mind she did say I can have fruit soft that were able to be smashed like a banana now.. So why not eat them if she said it was ok.. I don't see a problem with that..

Drod you sound like you are finally getting it ;). It is mostly about getting your head sorted as regards food habits...one of those habits is buying way too much. Last year before this journey was relevant our kitchen cupboards were stuffed full but not now as I buy only what's needed. Its hard to do at first especially when you have others in your household to think of. You will make mistakes but it is the only way tbh. In saying that hubby has a cupboard of his own for his goodies that I just don't go into... If I don't know what's in there it doesn't bother me. ;)

I think much of the confusion around what we can and can't eat is that a range of different providers, and not just private but NHS too, all suggest a different post op eating plan. I am sure none of them are wrong but they are all very different. So that itself proves that there is a huge variety of thinking around what can and can't be eaten post op. I am following my providers guidelines other than I can not physically eat any more pureed food - my gag reflex kicks in when I try to swallow it and therefore I have moved on to soft mashed foods a few days / week earlier than MY PROVIDER recommends but I know I am making the right food choices and also know that WLS was the right decision for ME. Sx

I think much of the confusion around what we can and can't eat is that a range of different providers, and not just private but NHS too, all suggest a different post op eating plan. I am sure none of them are wrong but they are all very different. So that itself proves that there is a huge variety of thinking around what can and can't be eaten post op. I am following my providers guidelines other than I can not physically eat any more pureed food - my gag reflex kicks in when I try to swallow it and therefore I have moved on to soft mashed foods a few days / week earlier than MY PROVIDER recommends but I know I am making the right food choices and also know that WLS was the right decision for ME. Sx

So true paddyp on the same day I got a rollicking for having smoothies I was also chastised for calorie counting both of which are perfectly fine under other providers.... All you can do is go with what YOUR provider tells you.

Drod you sound like you are finally getting it ;). It is mostly about getting your head sorted as regards food habits...one of those habits is buying way too much. Last year before this journey was relevant our kitchen cupboards were stuffed full but not now as I buy only what's needed. Its hard to do at first especially when you have others in your household to think of. You will make mistakes but it is the only way tbh. In saying that hubby has a cupboard of his own for his goodies that I just don't go into... If I don't know what's in there it doesn't bother me. ;)

That's sounds good Fem but we share cabinets here and I have 2 kids that still live at home that enjoy there occasional chips,cookies etc.. So that's where my will power comes in would I love to eat a whole bag of chips of course but I know I can't the reality is being true to yourself I didn't start this journey to set myself up for failure.. I did it to succeed I know I can conquer this I have stopped smoking, recreational drugs so food is a drug too a bad habit that has only gotten worse over the years.. I had no discipline and ate what I wanted whenever I wanted... The cycle breaks here.. I have made a choice to better my health and to lose these unwanted extra pounds so here's to a new life and outstanding results I know I can do it and by the way thanks to all of you that have helped me along the way it is just the beginning but I'm sure glad I have people I can talk to who are going through the similar situations or who are well along in there journeys.. Words cannot express how very much grateful I am.. THANK YOU :)

Sounds good Paddy I don't see any problems with starting a Lil early I guess your stomach will decide if its the right time or not.. Like my infamous grits issue I had a temporary block due to the grits not being watery enough and the pain was unbearable. I had some again and added twice as much water and this time I was fine.. So it's a trial and error for me I'm learning new things everyday.. Running out of food options is not a good thing but I guess that will soon pass too.. The problem with me is since I ate so many sweets as a child I hardly have any molars in my mouth so chewing my food is very difficult and when I can start eating regular meals its going to be hard to chew it until it becomes a liquid so that's another challenge I will be facing at that time.. :(

Back