• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Too young for a bypass?

Fuffs

Shrinking Big Brummie
Well, I had a new doc at weight management today. He was more than happy with my weight loss, but was concerned at 4 days off 30, I am too young to have something like a bypass. He felt I should consider a band or do it myself 'seeing as you are doing so well on your own'

He said he won't argue with my surgeons decision, but wants me to think of the alternatives.

Wasn't sure what to say to be honest. Reiterated why I wanted the bypass. Just made me feel a bit uneasy. I hope he cannot influence the MDT approval I got back in September. Don't think he can.

I don't feel I am too young, but hated him making the slight thought come into my mind that I might be being hasty (in my head I know there has been no haste lol)

Just needed to vent a bit I guess lol

I'm sure there are plenty having the op younger than you hunni , in fact I'm sure there are some on here .
You have done your research , you know your history , so as long as you are happy you are doing the right thing for YOU , then stick to it & just pass it off . You have your funding & I would very much doubt they would renege on it now because of 1 opinion , as it wasn't made on 1 opinion . Stay strong xx

Ignore the stupid man!! You know what you're doing honey, it's not like it's a whim xxx

from me phone :D

I'm 29, and so help me if anyone gets in my way. I would rather have itnow and look forward to the rest of my life then change my decision and regret it. At least if its my choice, then the consequences are mine too.

Having said that, if you feel the band is right for you, then go for it. Only you should decide.

Well, I had a new doc at weight management today. He was more than happy with my weight loss, but was concerned at 4 days off 30, I am too young to have something like a bypass. He felt I should consider a band or do it myself 'seeing as you are doing so well on your own'

He said he won't argue with my surgeons decision, but wants me to think of the alternatives.

Wasn't sure what to say to be honest. Reiterated why I wanted the bypass. Just made me feel a bit uneasy. I hope he cannot influence the MDT approval I got back in September. Don't think he can.

I don't feel I am too young, but hated him making the slight thought come into my mind that I might be being hasty (in my head I know there has been no haste lol)

Just needed to vent a bit I guess lol

I can say your not too young to have the op hun, i had a band fitted via the NHS at 25!! sadly it went wrong and i was rushed into surgery in June to have it removed, the decission was then made for me to have the bypass... im only 28!!
I have struggled with my weight since i was about 15 major trigger set it off but even after therapy i couldnt solve it on my own... at my heaviest i was almost 25 stone, lost 7.5 stone on the band but sadly gained 4 back when it went wrong.....
Stay strong if you feel its right for you then it is
xx

I'm 24 now and was 23 when they agreed with what I wanted which is bypass. Maybe he is just one of those people who feel they need to comment on everything and show how important they are lol. Take no notice x

Hey hun.

Im 23, i had the bypass 2 months ago.

Ive gone from 25.5 stone to 20.9 in 2 months :)

Go for it. Xx

Can I also just add they have never mentioned anything about my age at all, stick to your guns Hun I'm sure he has no influence anyway over what type you have he is not a surgeon he is just there to help you whilst your on the programme x

you know what - do something now while you are still young more like..... i had said to my gp if i dont do this now - i will be back in 10, 20 yeas time wanting the same referral of a bypass so actually your age should not be a factor.... xx

my only regret in life is not having it when i was younger,,,dont think waiting years for it will improve the outcome and i wonder if hed say that to a private self funded patient?,,life is for living and the more healthier happier years you get ,is all the better in my book ,xgood luck love x

Thank you very much for all the replies xxx

It was a weight management doc that told me to wait a little last year. That was the start of all the messing around. Every weight management doc I have ever met tries to put me off having an op using one technique or another.

I want this op more than anything. I need to be as fit and healthy as I can be for myself and my beautiful sons.

All you wonderful responses have helped strengthen my resolve. Thank you for all the support and sharing of stories :)

On a positive note he said I should be die up get my confirmation of funding letter soon. He said I will get a weight management appointment for 3 months time. He said by them I should have my date or maybe even have had my op.

Probably shouldn't read too much into it though. As he was speaking nonsense on everything else! Lol x

I was 46 two weeks ago and had my bypass 3 days ago. I wish I had the option to have it done in my 20's, that way I could have enjoyed my 30's and the first 6 years of my 40's! If it is what you want, then don't let anything or anyone stand in your way.
Good luck love xx

Thank you very much for all the replies xxx

It was a weight management doc that told me to wait a little last year. That was the start of all the messing around. Every weight management doc I have ever met tries to put me off having an op using one technique or another.

I want this op more than anything. I need to be as fit and healthy as I can be for myself and my beautiful sons.

All you wonderful responses have helped strengthen my resolve. Thank you for all the support and sharing of stories :)

On a positive note he said I should be die up get my confirmation of funding letter soon. He said I will get a weight management appointment for 3 months time. He said by them I should have my date or maybe even have had my op.

Probably shouldn't read too much into it though. As he was speaking nonsense on everything else! Lol x

Maybe they are scared they will lose there jobs lol, or maybe they get bonus for how many people they put off the idea of having the surgery lol x

Thank you Marie xxx

That's the thing. I feel I wasted my latter terns and all my twenties fighting my weight. I have always lived, but self conciously.

This is the only way I will get there, and I am sticking to my guns xxx

Do not let anyone change your mind. Reach for the stars and live life to the full xxxxx

Maybe they are scared they will lose there jobs lol, or maybe they get bonus for how many people they put off the idea of having the surgery lol x

I thought of that lol

I wonder if there is an incentive list on the staff room wall lol

my weight management dietitian is always pushing banding too. I did originally want one but then realised I would probably cheat it, then I would need to go through they system all over again to get where I am now. And who knows if the criteria will change or if they will decide not to fund revisions by then. This is certainly happening in some hospitals. I pushed for a bypass and was supported by my endocrinologist so I was lucky.
You go for it. xx

Haha they probably do get more funding so I turn get pay rises for keeping people from surgery, let's face it they wouldn't have jobs if they aren't needed so maybe they just like to put people off for job security x

Back