• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Too young for a bypass?

mariew said:
my weight management dietitian is always pushing banding too. I did originally want one but then realised I would probably cheat it, then I would need to go through they system all over again to get where I am now. And who knows if the criteria will change or if they will decide not to fund revisions by then. This is certainly happening in some hospitals. I pushed for a bypass and was supported by my endocrinologist so I was lucky.
You go for it. xx

That's what I was originally going for last year and changed my mind for exactly the same reasons :)

i'm with amy maybe its all a ploy to try and stop weak minded people from getting the op, i'd be quite annoyed at the age remark, i'm 27 but feel like i've been on a diet since i could toddle on my chubby little legs so for someone to say you're rushing in to it or anything of the suck like just shows how out of touch some people really are!

amy_m said:
Haha they probably do get more funding so I turn get pay rises for keeping people from surgery, let's face it they wouldn't have jobs if they aren't needed so maybe they just like to put people off for job security x

They probably need people to do the whole year of weight management to get stats to prove it works to keep it going. Seeing as my pct say 6 months, they probably have very little stats lol

The doc said how well you are doing you could be at goal weight within a year.

I was looking for pigs flying outside, as I don't think he heard me tell him I have NEVER been at goal weight lol

rachaelh said:
i'm with amy maybe its all a ploy to try and stop weak minded people from getting the op, i'd be quite annoyed at the age remark, i'm 27 but feel like i've been on a diet since i could toddle on my chubby little legs so for someone to say you're rushing in to it or anything of the suck like just shows how out of touch some people really are!

Very true! I have been dieting my whole adult life. Where has it got me?

They do try and push the weak minded or willed people out.

And Marie: my pct won't fund revisions now. So I really do need to make the right choice :)

I don't want anyone to take offence at this you all have to promise.

When I started my journey the bariatric nurse at SRH made a good point and it was

" when you reach a certain weight and BMI then surgery is the only option as it become impossible to do it on your own. You may lose some weight but sooner or later it will come back on. Surgery is your only option if you want to be successful."

I totally agree with her, I need this op not to lose weight but to retrain my mind and body that I can survive on a normal food intake.

It's silly that these professional say you can do it on your own, they are wrong when I hit a certain weight you need surgical help.

That my view anyway lol you don't have to agree xx

amy_m said:
I don't want anyone to take offence at this you all have to promise.

When I started my journey the bariatric nurse at SRH made a good point and it was

" when you reach a certain weight and BMI then surgery is the only option as it become impossible to do it on your own. You may lose some weight but sooner or later it will come back on. Surgery is your only option if you want to be successful."

I totally agree with her, I need this op not to lose weight but to retrain my mind and body that I can survive on a normal food intake.

It's silly that these professional say you can do it on your own, they are wrong when I hit a certain weight you need surgical help.

That my view anyway lol you don't have to agree xx

My mate had a sleeve in Croydon. Her surgeon told her the same. He said there was an extremely low chance she could get to goal weight and even less chance retain it without surgical intervention x

I really do agree that's why it's such a same for people like yourself who are willing to show them time and time again how much you will benefit from having the surgery but yet they still drag there heels and make it stressful and difficult x

Well, I had a new doc at weight management today. He was more than happy with my weight loss, but was concerned at 4 days off 30, I am too young to have something like a bypass. He felt I should consider a band or do it myself 'seeing as you are doing so well on your own'

He said he won't argue with my surgeons decision, but wants me to think of the alternatives.

Wasn't sure what to say to be honest. Reiterated why I wanted the bypass. Just made me feel a bit uneasy. I hope he cannot influence the MDT approval I got back in September. Don't think he can.

I don't feel I am too young, but hated him making the slight thought come into my mind that I might be being hasty (in my head I know there has been no haste lol)

Just needed to vent a bit I guess lol

That's rubbish hun I have only just turned 28. I wish I had agreed to the op when I was offered it at 26.
You have done so well yourself its true hun but keeping it off is many peoples problem so if it will help you be the person you want to be then good with what you feel is right for you. No one else is living your life but you so do whats right for you sweetie x x x

amy_m said:
I really do agree that's why it's such a same for people like yourself who are willing to show them time and time again how much you will benefit from having the surgery but yet they still drag there heels and make it stressful and difficult x

It seems like if you don't lose any weight during weight management they don't like it. If you lose 5-10% and stay at that they are happy. If you follow their advice and lose as much as you can to make the op safe, they decide you don't need it!! Grrrr

witchingmoon said:
That's rubbish hun I have only just turned 28. I wish I had agreed to the op when I was offered it at 26.
You have done so well yourself its true hun but keeping it off is many peoples problem so if it will help you be the person you want to be then good with what you feel is right for you. No one else is living your life but you so do whats right for you sweetie x x x

You are right chick! I know the bypass is not a magic formula. But do know it will help me to have the best chance of bring limited it what I can eat for the rest of my life.

I have taken this time to mentally prepare myself, so fingers crossed this will be the best decision I have ever made for myself :)

Is it today you find out about your iron? Xxx

I found out my iron last night am waiting on hospital to let me know what is the plan.

It has gone up to 9.4 which means I am still short but as its going up daily it should be ten by 29th. She thinks they will prespone it till the next free date. I will let you know when I get my call this afternoon xx

witchingmoon said:
I found out my iron last night am waiting on hospital to let me know what is the plan.

It has gone up to 9.4 which means I am still short but as its going up daily it should be ten by 29th. She thinks they will prespone it till the next free date. I will let you know when I get my call this afternoon xx

I hope she is wrong, as if they use logic, your iron levels should be fine in time for 29th. Have you had to do the pre op diet just Incase?

good luck honey xxx

Well, I had a new doc at weight management today. He was more than happy with my weight loss, but was concerned at 4 days off 30, I am too young to have something like a bypass. He felt I should consider a band or do it myself 'seeing as you are doing so well on your own'

He said he won't argue with my surgeons decision, but wants me to think of the alternatives.

Wasn't sure what to say to be honest. Reiterated why I wanted the bypass. Just made me feel a bit uneasy. I hope he cannot influence the MDT approval I got back in September. Don't think he can.

I don't feel I am too young, but hated him making the slight thought come into my mind that I might be being hasty (in my head I know there has been no haste lol)

Just needed to vent a bit I guess lol

I don't think he will have any influence at all on the funding, babe ... just another jobsworth who is working in the wrong sector. He is supposed to be helping people with weight issues not giving them even more to worry about ... Wish I could have had it at 29 :( You will be fine sugar, its not like you have come to this decision overnight xxx :)

Lets hope they use their noggins to see that you should have a good count by the 29th ... keep your spirits up sweetie xxx

TwinkleTwinkle said:
I don't think he will have any influence at all on the funding, babe ... just another jobsworth who is working in the wrong sector. He is supposed to be helping people with weight issues not giving them even more to worry about ... Wish I could have had it at 29 :( You will be fine sugar, its not like you have come to this decision overnight xxx :)

Thanks Twinkle. You are right xxx

And if I don't have this op now, I will regret it as there will be no second chances, unless o gain loads of weight and become ill. I really don't plan on doing that. I want to reduce the chance of that now!

Fingers crossed that in my 30th year, I will get on track with my life :) xxx

Thanks Twinkle. You are right xxx

And if I don't have this op now, I will regret it as there will be no second chances, unless o gain loads of weight and become ill. I really don't plan on doing that. I want to reduce the chance of that now!

Fingers crossed that in my 30th year, I will get on track with my life :) xxx
im gutted ive waited till im 50 :( but hey ho, at least in going to enjoy the rest of my life :) woop! xxx

Caren said:
im gutted ive waited till im 50 :( but hey ho, at least in going to enjoy the rest of my life :) woop! xxx

At 50 you will increase your life expectancy and still enjoy your life. 50 is the new 40 anyway! Lol

As long as there is a will, I don't think any age is too late :D

At 50 you will increase your life expectancy and still enjoy your life. 50 is the new 40 anyway! Lol

As long as there is a will, I don't think any age is too late :D
lol it absolutely is :D to be honest it was reaching 50 and realising that you dont see many morbidly obese pensioners around that got me into action, i dont want to die by 60 :( now, hopefully, i wont lol xxx

Caren said:
lol it absolutely is :D to be honest it was reaching 50 and realising that you dont see many morbidly obese pensioners around that got me into action, i dont want to die by 60 :( now, hopefully, i wont lol xxx

You won't!! You will get this op!! The collective good will on this forum will mean there is no other option :D

Back