• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Another 7 months

orchid

This will be my 5th month of waiting on (waiting)list to see anyone for my initial consultation for WLS at st Richards chichester, i thought id phone today and see how much longer it might be, i spoke to a very nice lady called christine,who said she was very sorry but it is likley to be another 7 months yet!!!before i hear anything, well...i deflated there and then on the spot,all my positivety flew out the window..i felt like my journey is never going to begin,..but i wil pick myself up ,put on a brave and possitive face and just wait until my number comes up..thanks for listening just needed to let it out and say how i felt..feel better now.:wave_cry:

So sorry hun. That stinks! I myself had a long wait (18 months from asking GP to actual surgery) and it was hard. However, I feel like that time was useful for getting my head around all the changes I would face. I was very mentally prepared for the surgery when the time came and really have not struggled post-op as I was very prepared. I hope that you can make a positive out of a negative and use the time to get your head ready.

Best of luck & I have my fingers crossed that you will be seen sooner.

Thanks and your right, no matter how your feeling there is allways people on here who no exactly how your feeling and what your going through and are allways willing to listen and give advice, it helps a lot to be able to do that,hanks again x

I think we all have a rant at some point(s) or other on the WLS journey and we all have to have broad shoulders anyway to take the knock-backs, so they are all big enough to lean on when the sh!t hits the proverbial.

Maybe we should have a sticky 'Vent your spleen' thread? ;)

Sorry that you had disappointing news today and I know its very easy for me to say as I'm out the other side so to speak but 7 months in the grand scheme of things won't take long to pass. When your thinking of it and getting down think of the whole picture.. how long have you been overweight... I myself have been over weight since being a very young child and not only was I over weight I was hugely obese and still am despite my ongoing weight loss.. so when I looked at the time I waited for my surgery, taking out the time that I had to postpone things because I became pregnant with my son, that time was hugely insignificant in comparison.

Feel free to rant and rave if it makes you feel better, we are all here to listen but we are also here to try to make you look on the positve side too.

Best of luck and you never know, you might be suprised sooner with an appointment than you have been told.

Alia xxx

I'm sorry to hear about your wait, it will be worth it though in the end. I hope you feel a bit better in a couple of days and start to think positive again. Chin up and keep smiling. x

Hi Orchid. Sounds like you're at the same stage as me regarding referral. Got referred and approved for funding at end of July 2008 and was told I'd hear from St Richards in January 2009. From what you've said, it is likely to be another 7 months? When were you approved? At this rate we could end up 'banding buddies' - lol. Best wishes. Julie x

:wave_cry:Hi, spikeyjaycee,iwas refered and my funding approved end of september,have been on list since then am also from the surrey area,as i was told they take so many from each area each time spaces come up.what area are you from?you have been longer than me O.M.G :eek:

sorry to hear that when i spoke to christine last in clinic she said they are inundated with patients wanting ops the hospital is a very popular one just think positivily your getting the best doing your op!

Thanks serenitylove's, i know in the long run it will be worth it because like you said it is the best place...x

So sorry to hear this. Try to look at the bigger picture in 18mths to 2yrs you will be much lighter and happier with it. Try to stay positive and like pg says use the time to get your head in the right space for it. take care r x

Hi Orchid. I'm from East Sussex area. Anyone else from this area waiting to hear? When I contacted the hospital by email October 2008 I was told it would be at least Jan 2009 before I would hear. Just a question of waiting patiently I guess. Just knowing the operation WILL occur this year is keeping me going. Interesting what Serenity says about the hospital being inundated with referrals. A few years ago WLS was virtually unheard of - now its almost as commonplace as heart bypass! Times have changed!

Yup times have changed, and a lot of DR's are pushing WLS as they are graded to some extent by their larger hen average clients. Interestingly enough i looked up my PCT last night to discover they have not added their criteria for WLS to the usual lists. Brent are a big council i would have expected them to be up to date with it.

me too !

Hi
I am East Sussex too. I got funding for a bypass at St Richards OK'd late July 08.

I called last week and was told that they are now on June's referrals and they are trying to set up more clinics and I should be seen Feb/March with the op being a further 5 -7 moths wait so a total of approx 16 months - fingers crossed xxx

Hi Starry - where abouts in East Sussex are you? Thanks for the info about timescales. At this rate I'll be celebrating my birthday in August with surgery!!!

Hi
I am in Hastings - maybe in together then for the op will keep you informed of whatever I hear
xx

Hi Starry - I'm in eastbourne. Would be good to have a banding buddy to go through it with - lol. Will let you know when I do eventually hear from the hospital. Funny thing is my husband and his best mates all have their 40th birthdays this year and they want a party. Cos hubby's mates are up in Birmingham, it would mean a trip up there possibly August time but it depends when my op is. My birthday is in August anyway and I just know that's when my op will be schedueld for. Told hubby to go without me but he wants me there too. Oh well, wait and see what happens.

Hi
Fingers crossed they wont clash - I know its a long wait but even if offered surgery elsewhere quicker, I would wait for Shaw Somers team now I am very happy to go there and now half way the wait seems more bearable.

If you want a band you can get one much quicker at Ashford/ST Peters In Middlesex with Dr Horner wait time much faster I cant as I want a bypass and St Richards only hospital in our PCT area that does them and I have heard they have stopped referrals for a while to clear the backlog a bit - so we got in just in time !!!

Back