• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Another newbie in North East

Lucy86

Hi all. I'm just at the start of my wls journey. I was referred to the 'weight management team' 7 weeks ago and still haven't heard a single thing. I have contacted my GP practice but they aren't very helpful. They just say that the referral has gone in, and to wait. Getting totally fed up now :(

Hello Lucy86
welcome to our band of merry folk! Sorry to hear that you have had no news on your next step towards WLS you will just have to become a bit of a pain in the rump and ramp up the calls to your GP or do you know where your referral is going to, maybe you could contact them direct you might get the same response but at least they would be aware of you
very good luck

Hi Lucy,

I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a long wait. That must be so frustrating. I was raring to go by the time I requested my referral and I am guessing you are too.

Could you track down the phone number for the WLM team? I would imagine (or at least hope) they would be more helpful than your GP with an idea of timings. Would certainly be worth a phone call.

I have seen quite a lot of posts from people based in the North East so maybe they can jump in and give you an idea of their wait times - maybe even the WLM team's contact details if you're lucky?

Let us know how you get on and keep going! You've made it this far, you've vented your frustration (better than bottling it up) and you're on here so you're doing it right :) x

I saw my surgeon and my bariatric team on May 13 I had a meeting a few test lots of forms to fill out and was given a pre-op diet . I am in the process of see all my doctors to run test and get there clearances like : pre - admission testing , pre - operative clearance , nutrition education class , psychological consultation , H - Pylori test , MedGem test , cardiac clearance , pulmonary clearance and a endoscope . My surgery date is August 13 so I am afar it does that some time but like others said i would call and keep calling your GP and if you know your bariatric team call them ( there usually the ones that set up all of your appointments ) . Don't give up if this is what you want . I wish you the best of luck getting your date .

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Thanks everyone. I did hassle my GP practice a little at first, kept ringing and they said that they would not chase up until it had been one month since referral. So, I rang again after one month and they followed it up and confirmed that the referral had been received by the "weight management team" and I just had to wait for an appointment. They won't give me any info on where the team are, which hospital my surgery is likely to be, or anything :( They did state that the referral has not gone to a hospital as "it would only come straight back" because they have to follow a certain procedure now and cannot refer straight for surgery. I can only assume this means the weight management team will do the whole tier 3 thing with me, then the referral will go to the surgeon. It is driving me crazy simply guessing everything :'(

I'll find the number for the Guisborough service for you tomorrow Lucy ( that's where my referral was sent to! ) xx

That really sucks! Some GPs can be so obstructive, even if they're just covering their own backs. I don't think they appreciate how much it takes for people to ask for a referral.

Perhaps Guisborough may even be able to hazard a guess at where your referral has been sent if it's not gone to them? Chin up, keep fighting, you're worth it :) xxx

Aw thanks Aud. Hmm, is it maybe because I'm fairly new? I'll see if it's anything to do with my settings.

My GP is fab! It's just the reception staff. They seem to take things into their own hands and just do what they want, even though the GP instructs them to do one thing, they do another.

Lucy x

Yes reception staff can be so varied can't they. I'm glad your GP is good though and hope you get some news soon xxx

Hi Lucy
Can you not make an appointment to see your GP again if he is good and lay it on thick? It is so frustrating isn't it?
Good luck, hope you hear soon
Jackie
X

Hi Lucy
Can you not make an appointment to see your GP again if he is good and lay it on thick? It is so frustrating isn't it?
Good luck, hope you hear soon
Jackie
X

I was thinking about that but she is so hard to get in with. Usually about a 4-5 week wait :( x

I'll find the number for the Guisborough service for you tomorrow Lucy ( that's where my referral was sent to! ) xx

My dad is originally from Guisborough spent many of childhood over that area, sorry I know it's not WLS related. Good luck to you all on your journeys x

Maybe make an appt and hope you won't need it and that you can cancel it? ;-)

Ah yes I hadn't thought of that, good idea! I will do that tomorrow. Thank you xx

If I remember correctly this is how I got my referral going the receptionists kept fobbing me off and then I went to see GP about something else and asked her about it. She got the receptionists straight onto it and it was sharp sorted out?
Xx

My dad is originally from Guisborough spent many of childhood over that area, sorry I know it's not WLS related. Good luck to you all on your journeys x

It's a lovely place - I live about 45 mins away from it, but we often used to go for a ride out there on a summers evening xx

Back