• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Another newbie

Hi everyone! :) :flirt2:

Well I took the plunge and asked a GP at my practice for a referral for weight loss surgery - most likely a gastric bypass. I am 23 and am morbidly obese, well cuddly at the edges! ;) I'm currently 25.5stone. I have yo-yo dieted for years, always loosing several stone on various diets then putting it back on again, I've tried them all, on slimfast at the minute again which has shifted 2kg this week.

My old GP (at the same practice) recommended that I be put through for bariatric surgery a couple of years ago when I was a massive 27stone but I declined, wanting to try myself to loose it. So here I am two years later, more mature and deciding I want my life back (well a new, healthier life). I am on the treadmill after work each day and want to shift a bit more. So now to look forward to how my referral turns out from the Cornwall PCT at Royal Cornwall Hospital (Treliske) Truro.

How long did it take most of you to receive your first letter back. :confused:

Got a dreaded blood test this week coming to look for signs of diabetes (as have a family history of it :sigh:) and to test thyroid. So far I have had good news - my weight hasn't affected my blood pressure, it's within the normal parameters.

Well that's enough from me today. Hope you all are doing well.
Thanks for listening xxx

Last edited:
Hello welcome and good luck! I got referred and within a week got my seminar date.

14 pounds to 1 stone x

Hi, good luck with the referral. I went to see my GP on the 19th October and had my letter back saying I had been approved by the 2nd November. From the initial appointment with GP to op date it was 18 months. I wold advise to stick to what your doing cos any weight loss will help you before surgery, I kind of stopped watching what i ate once I'd been approved thinking it was ok I'm going for a gastric bypass but it only put things back for me as the surgeon made me go away and prove I was serious about it and lose what I'd put on. The is what made the wait so long as hey advised me its usually about 8-10 months. X

Hi and welcome dream. I can't answer your questions as I am up in Scotland but wanted to wish you the best of luck in getting the funding & support needed to go ahead with your surgery.xxx

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the welcomes. Well, a little update. I got referred on Friday to Treliske bariatric team. Got a letter in the post today requesting I contact them asap to speak to the consultant. So will do that tomorrow. Hopefully the ball is now rolling so to speak.
:)

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your referral xx

Brilliant! Fingers crossed for you :)

Well it's been two weeks today since my referral was sent by my GP. I have a date to see a consultant at Treliske. Monday 12th August cannot come any quicker. Nervous but excited at the same time.

So guys, what can I expect to happen at the initial meeting with the consultant, what questions should I expect?

Hope you are all doing well! :)

Hi Everyone!

A little update, well my appointment on Monday got cancelled as the consultant wasn't available (though not informed till I got to the department in the hospital - so a wasted 50mile round trip, so set to see him tomorrow afternoon instead. Nervous but excited to start my journey.

I received more good news last month, although I am morbidly obese, I have NO health problems, bar eczema, my blood test came back really good, no diabetes, normal blood count, no liver problems, no thyroid problems etc. I was very pleased as I was scared i'd have had diabetes. Well i'll update tomorrow with how the appointment goes with the consultant, fingers crossed I can get the ball rolling.

Well folks, had my first consultation with the consultant. He was a really nice guy, was not belittling in any way and made me feel at ease. I had my height and weight taken, nothing new on that front. He wrote a lot of things down and asked a lot of questions. So the outcome, I saw the exercise consultant straight away after meeting Dr Creely. I have been given a referral to the Healthy weight Programme, a course ran here over 11weeks.

I have also been referred to see a psychologist and dietician. I will see the consultant again in April/May next year, so ball is now in my court again. Also had more bloods taken for hormone tests.

So as Gandalf said to Frodo, your journey is about to begin. :)

Last edited:
Hi glad to hear you're healthy. From my appointment with the GP to the operation was 6 months. Hope all goes well. X

Back