• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any regrets? Still nauseous after 2 weeks

Mellisa2077

Hi everyone, this is my first post. It is actually the first day I have felt well enough to look at my computer. I had a gastric band 2 weeks ago with WGA. I was constantly sick as soon as I woke up from the op, and had a huge haematoma of the stomach which I had to have operated on. I have been feeling sick ever since! I could hardly eat for 10 days, couldn't stomach slim fast, soup, yogurt etc. I could drink plenty though so the band is not supposed to be too tight according to the nurses.

Unfortunately I still feel sick but not as bad as before. Also have terrible wind which suprises me after two weeks! I am taking windeze and gaviscon but still feel rough.

To be honest I am considering having it removed already as I have been so ill I thought I was dying. I can't find anyone else on here that has had this experience.

Does anyone know someone who felt like this and got through it? Will it get better? I am on mushie food now like sloppy shephard's pie and scrambled eggs etc but still feel rough, even though I seem to be able to eat quite a big portion too, half of what I did before but more than a cupful?? Anyone else experience this?

I am seriously regretting doing this as I feel so ill and I don't think I will lose weight. I am scared if I have the band filled I will be even more sick!! I am taking anti nausea medication too bad that doesn't work either. Sorry to be rambling on. I would be really grateful for your experiences with the band and how long it took you to recover etc and if there is light at the end of the tunnel!!!!!!!!:(:confused::(:confused:

sorry im pre-op band and cant offer any advice,but so sorry you have been suffering like this :( hope you feel better soonx

Thanks, that is very kind of you. To be honest I am grateful I am feeling well enough to look at my laptop! I must be getting a bit better. I got better yesterday for a while and then got sick again this morning.

I have severe grade 4 endometriosis and the op was more complicated than it should have been due to adhesions. I suppose I can't expect to recover as quickly as everyone else.

Don't let me put you off though! It seems that most people get on very well with it. I wonder if it is the pain from the endometriosis on the bowel, made worse with the liquid diet and constipation, that has made me so sick and I am being unrealistic to think I should be better by now! Perhaps tomorrow will be a better day! Good luck for your op I am sure it will be a better experience for you. Mel X

You poor thing, the endometriosis is bound to be giving you more pain. I felt pretty awful for a while and was very sick when I came round from op (for hours, not days). What is a haematoma?

It will get better I'm sure - it takes everyone different times. Get the GP to come out if you need to. When you start to feel better physically I'm sure you will start to feel a bit better about the band. Who did your op?
Sorry can't be of more use to you. Try and calm your stomach with peppermint tea and camomile. That sounds a bit lame when you are in pain and fear I know, I just really feel for you. Endometriosis is awful. I'm not usually a hugging person but I'm sending you a hug. x

Just wanted to send you a BIG HUG!!
I am sure you will start to feel better soon, Its still very early days for you, Take it easy and get as much rest as Possible, You are over the worst part now and wishing you the best of luck on your weightloss journey! x

Hi, thanks for your reply and hug. I am not normally a huggy person either but everything appreciated at the moment!! I had my band a dolan park hospital under Mr Sigurdsson. I think he is a good surgeon and I am sure the problem was the endometriosis upsets the stomach as it has spread over entire abdomen and pelvis/bowel. I just wish they had told me before that the op would be so difficult for me. Apparently as soon as I woke up I was wretching all night and that caused stomach to bleed which is what caused the haematoma. A haematoma is a collection of blood as the blood vessells have leaked somehow. It goes hard and puts pressure on. It was on the port and pressing in to my stomach and was agony. The pain was much better after they operated the second time, it is just wind and nausea that has been a problem. I can't face any sweet things at all. I couldn't drink the peppermint tea, couldn't eat much either so that made things worse with the painkillers affecting the stomach. I have now cut down on painkillers and increased food, mostly mashed potato/shepherds pie etc. Weetabix made me feel sick in the morning though. I have had surgery on the stomach 5 times before this one so I should have known what I was letting myself in for. I have always been really ill after anaesthetic, but thought this was such a minor op that I would be OK!

I will see how I am in the morning. Doctors have been great, trying every anti sickness tablet they can. Dolan Park have rang me every day as they were worried too. Unfortunately the nurses, docs and GP's are at a loss as to what to do I think. Just takes time to settle when endometriosis has caused inflammation in abdominal region.

Thanks for your replies, Mel X

Hi there, sorry to hear you have had a rough time but remember this is not a minor op....hope you feel much better soon :)

I agree, it is not a minor op at all. I was told by the docs and nurses that I would be back at work in a week and wouldn't get any pain, just discomfort. I beg to differ as I was in more pain that after having major surgery (laparotomy for endometriosis anad bowel resection). The wind went after 5 days with all my other ops but it has persisted with this one. Also it was impossible to burp and I couldn't vomit and that made it worse (sorry to be so disgusting but if you can actually vomit you usually feel a bit better afterwards). I was not told that the band stopped you from burping properly or from vomiting. I guess I should have worked it out. I did warn them about the sickness I would get but they were not worried and wanted me to have op done. I wish I was told not to go ahead with it.

I suppose in a few weeks time if I feel better and lose weight I may be glad I had it done!! My weight is causing a lot of health problems and my illness prevents me from exercising much (can walk dog for 20 minutes). This was my last attempt at reclaiming a healthy life!!!

Each time I have had surgery (5 times) I have gained a stone in weight due to inactivity so I really struggled to lose this weight. I hope this will make me lose weight in the long run. Once I able to eat salad, veg and jacket potatoes I am sure I will lose weight. I am not used to eating the kind of food I do now. I normally eat really healthy but too large portions. I am hoping to get back on healthy food but smaller portions. I do have a weakness for chocolate though!! I haven't had any chocolate for about 3 weeks so that is good for me! I couldn't stand it at the moment.

I have also managed to cut down smoking to one a day from 10 a day, as been too ill to smoke. I hope I can stick to this and give up completely.

Thanks for all your encouragement. Everyone on this site is so friendly and helpful.

How long did it take you to get used to the band? I haven't felt full yet but been too scared to eat too much. I am hungry but do not want to stretch the pouch. Did anyone feel ill after there first fill or I am worried about nothing?? Mel X

I had Dr. Sig also at D. Park. Yes, he was very good, even when he came into recovery to see me there as I'd been there ages as they tried to control my vomiting and I tried to throw up in his face. I say tried as I kept on wretching but nothing came out.
I really hope you start to feel better soon. Any anti-inflams will make yr stomach hurt - I take them with some yoghurt but I guess you can't tolerate that. Glad Dolan Park are keeping in touch with you.

Hi Mellisa2077. <<Big Hugs>> Sorry to hear your having problems and feeling crap, I'm sure it will level itself out. I do remember having terrible wind after my op and feeling bloated though for a few weeks. Think they somehow blow you up with gas to get in there, I'm sure thats how it was explained to me by the dietician and it just takes abit of time to get rid.
Hope your feeling abit better today

Hi am welcome to mini's, sorry your having such a rough time at the moment, things will get better just give yourself time to heal, and just remember that if your only on fluids you will be losing some weight and will not have a good restriction yet :)

Hiya Melissa...Im at the same point as you as had my band fitted on the 4th April. I seem to be lucky as have not been sick at all and this week started to feel a lot more normal....I would agree however as to how much it hurt....I was in considerable pain...and I dont have a low pain threshold. Im so sorry your feeling so rubbish it must be awful....Im having my first day on thick liquids and very runny purrees today...so just had baby rice for breckfast and feel stuffed after a few spoonfuls....a strange feeling.

Are you still feeling sick all the time? you could try popping into your local healthfood store...I had some stuff they gave me years ago when I was pregnant and suffered with morninng sickness my entire pregnancy it really helped but I cant remember for the life of me what it was called:(

Also I strongly recommend Benefibre or Fibresure to help with the constipation Im sure the other will agree that it really helps

Take care xxx

:welcome2:AWW Mellisa, so sorry to hear you are in this much pain sweetheart. I'm pre op for band so can't really offer much advise but did'nt want to read and run.What pain killers are you on??? sometimes these can make the sickness worse and also can be the cause of constipation. I hope you start to feel better soon xx Gaynor xx:hug99:

Mellissa poor you!! What an awful time you have had. I am sure your past abdo problems and the endometriosis hasnt helped your recovery I hope you can hang in and get the benefit of the band now it is fitted, you have hopefully come through the worst and should start feeling better day by day and it would be a shame to have it removed if it is going to settle, but only you can decide that
I really hope you feel better soon and will be keeping a lookout to see how you are getting on

Love n hugs Jay xx

Hi everyone, thanks for all your support. I have been taking Ondansetron for the sickness today and it is really helping at last! Still feel very slightly sick and weak but time will heal I am sure. Hope everyone else is feeling well. Mel XXX

hi mellisa,
so sorry your feeling sooo ill.
I know a lady who went to belgium for her op and she was really ill after also and with a massive swelling on her side.
I saw her after a few weeks and she was feeling much better. When I asked her if she felt she had made the right decision she said she would have said No to that up to a short while ago but things had got sorted and she was healing etc. and she said she now felt totally differently, so take heart. xx

Back