• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anybody recognise this feeling?

annemieke_loves

Ok, here it goes.. I'm 2,5 weeks post op, and I'm having a really bad day! I'm super moody and grumpy, especially when I see my family eating! Went to asda today, not much fun foodshopping when you're not allowed anything :-(
I feel like crying, and thinking that I've made a mistake having the surgery, can I cope with this for the rest of my life?

Sorry if it doesn't make sense, just had to let it out

It is only natural, lots of people feel like that, food has been a big part of our lives for such a long time and it is like a bereavement process takes time but you will gte over it xx Keep on plodding xx Imagine yourself this time next year xx

I have had moments today wondering if I've done the right thing. I think I am most scared that I will never be able to eat socially again, which I know is rubbish but I'm still thinking about things like BBQs, buffets and Christmas Dinner(sob) so I'm with you.

Hit me three months..ish after I had the balloon in.. Bypass in 11 days time now :). I suppose its a kind of grief over the loss of our past life. I felt down for a couple of weeks until people started to notice and I could see the difference in my clothes. Totally turned my head around :) and wouldn't have it any other way now x

I'm going through that process at the min some days better than others! Know exactly what you mean x

So I'm not the only one! My husband has been fasting all day, so has dinner late, all my face things :-( home made chips, fresh cream and strawberry tarts, ice cold coke, fresh French baguette, i honestly feel to cry over this,can't bar to make myself another tin of soup!

I am now approaching my 2 year mark and really it has flown over, literally you will be through it in the blink of an eye it seems hard at the moment but once the results really start to show and like has been said above nice comments flood in your self esteem will rise your head will kick into gear and you will be happy again. I still fancy things that aren't good but I still have meals on a tea plate. Some days I can still leave a bit. I have been out for lots of meals, I always take a container with me or if I should forget they will always wrap it up for me. My faves are hunters chicken, n chicken or beef sizzler, so I get my veggies in as well. I always fancy a sweet but I know I wouldn't be able to eat one all by myself so the last time thankfully we had bout an hour before we ordered desert, I had a banana split with more fruit and squirty cream it was the healthiest on the menu didn't eat it all but you don't have to feel left out I often share with some one even happy with a couple of moutfuls of desert its better than having nothing. All my friends understand and willing to help. It will change and you will begin to cope once you get over this stage, it can hit at any time that feeling, but it will get better believe me xxx

What a lovely post Chrisa, always helpful to hear from someone that has been through these things and that there is a very bright light at the end of the tunnel :)

I am now approaching my 2 year mark and really it has flown over, literally you will be through it in the blink of an eye it seems hard at the moment but once the results really start to show and like has been said above nice comments flood in your self esteem will rise your head will kick into gear and you will be happy again. I still fancy things that aren't good but I still have meals on a tea plate. Some days I can still leave a bit. I have been out for lots of meals, I always take a container with me or if I should forget they will always wrap it up for me. My faves are hunters chicken, n chicken or beef sizzler, so I get my veggies in as well. I always fancy a sweet but I know I wouldn't be able to eat one all by myself so the last time thankfully we had bout an hour before we ordered desert, I had a banana split with more fruit and squirty cream it was the healthiest on the menu didn't eat it all but you don't have to feel left out I often share with some one even happy with a couple of moutfuls of desert its better than having nothing. All my friends understand and willing to help. It will change and you will begin to cope once you get over this stage, it can hit at any time that feeling, but it will get better believe me xxx

Thank you chrisa! There is light at the end of the tunnel, but I think I'm just finding the liquid stage frustrating lol!

i'm having a simular problem, last few weeks ive found myself to become more and more distant and general feeling of being depressed and just numb towards those closest to me and its rearly becoming a problem to shake off, so much so its upsetting my wife and causing me some problems with bonding to my new born daughter. it might be partialy food related but i spoke to my bariatric team and they said it is probably down to the hormonal and emotional changes post surgery and our minds just get overloaded. i was also told that my vitamin B12 levels were very low at time of surgery and since the op this may now be even lower and this can have a dramatic effect on our moods and feelings. i googled it and was supprised how much it can affect us, so i had my B12 injection brought forward so hopefully that will help me get back to my old self in time. but worth looking into this with the team or GP as well ;)

I have not been 'done' yet but in all my research it seems this is quite normal.. there are also loads of members here that talk about how the surgery has forced them to change their attitude about food and that it is a fuel and no longer a source of entertainment, but most of he members also talk about how their lives are so much better now. I think the diet is restricted but being overweight is also restrictive.. looking forward to putting two fingers up to Evans frumpy clothes, and being able to put the tray table down when I am on an airplane and fitting into a theme park ride...etc

I hope you get past this blip and become happier as you get thinner and healthier.. good luck x

It is really normal to feel this way. One of the reasons is the bereavement process but also you have to think you are still recovering from major surgery, and you aren't getting many calories so your energy levels and possibly sugar levels will be low too. Another reason is when you start losing weight rapidly your fat cells are breaking down and flooding you body with hormones. You will feel this way for a while but it will get better. Especially when you start to see your self shrink and you get NSV's. I'm over a year post op and I can tell you that I go to BBQ's, out for dinner, cook lovely food at home, even been to a buffet and my Christmas dinner was lovely. It was all just a much smaller portion of what I like. The liquid stage is the hardest, then you have the mushy which is much better but before you know you will be on solids and you will tolerate more and more as time goes on. You might never be able to eat anything sugary but their are lots of alternatives out there and as Chrisa said time passes by quickly, before you know you will be celebrating your 1st surgiversary and lots of weight loss. Hang in there :)

Thanks guys! I'm feeling a bit better today, and not so envious of food lol! I think it's a grieving process, and there's a lot of stress at the moment. Maybe reality has hit home now, that I can't rely on food for comfort and entertainment, the last few months have been extremely tough, with my dear nana passing away, the op, financial stresses, etc.

Hopefully I'll be able to get out of the liquid diet soon

I think you make a really good point in your last post hun - I've covered up negative emotion with food for so long I am expecting some depression after my op when I'm going to have to find another coping strategy. Comfort eating replaced with... Who knows?

I've not had my op yet, but everyone I've spoken to seems to have gone through some emotional turmoil. It's a lot to put your body through and is bound to have an emotional impact too.

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better, hope you're through the worst of it now x

I could be wrong, but whenever I was moody, I think it was due to me still taking metformin and not eating much... Very low blood sugar. But yes, I know the feeling.

Yes we all have to find new ways of coping with issues that once we would have tried to resolve by scoffing food. I still feel like that when problems arise and can still on occasions do it with out thinking and I HAVE TO SAY TO MYSELF HOLD ON NOW . I have been down that route and don't want to do it all again. So it can be done the more it happens the bnetter you get at it. There is no magic answer for any of this journey its long hard slog and it will always be the same it is for life and its all down to choices healthy choices. We have to learn to listen to what our bodies are telling us, I have to admit that I still don't feel hungry but I still have it tattooed in my memory somehow breakfast dinner lunch and snacks. That is how my body copes, I also have fruit and veg every day just as I did on the old ww meals. The only difference for me is the portion sizes and I have cut right down on alcohol intake. I didn't drink every day but did drink to excess when I did could drink anyone under the table, but now I just dilute it all down with lemonade and have a lot less. I worry about weight gain and if I should ever go back to what I was I would hate that to happen and have to make sure it doesn't happen to me. I have treats but where we might have had a bar of chocolate I have 2 or 3 squares tops. Crisps I like pom bears, ringos, wotsits etc, lower in fat and calories than ordinary ones. If I don't have veg that day then I have 4 pieces of fruit/ portions. Try to limit the carbs and keep up the protein. Also keep the fluids going in. xxx Hope that makes sense to you all. I don't regret this surgery and its true what people say we have been given our lives back. I am not super slim and never will be. I am a size 18 but am 5ft 6-7, I started this journey at 24 st 11lb. I now fluctuate between 14st 5 and 14st 11. I was a size 32 and some of those clothes were too tight around thighs n hips. So to me I am slim the nicest compliment I have had recently was a new lady at work who one day I said too would this over all fit me and she said why wouldn't it I explained bout my op and how big I was she said if she had to describe me now she would have just said I am an average weight person. In my head I am still larger than most people yet when I see myself in shop windows or try to fit through spaces I think I can't I can see a huge difference I can fit through with ease and room to spare and I have to check out my reflection as I look so different some people don't even recognise me. Enjoy your journeys try not to get to hung up. IF YA DOWN TALK ABOUT IT ON HERE WITH PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND AND CARE. XXXXXX

Yes we all have to find new ways of coping with issues that once we would have tried to resolve by scoffing food. I still feel like that when problems arise and can still on occasions do it with out thinking and I HAVE TO SAY TO MYSELF HOLD ON NOW . I have been down that route and don't want to do it all again. So it can be done the more it happens the bnetter you get at it. There is no magic answer for any of this journey its long hard slog and it will always be the same it is for life and its all down to choices healthy choices. We have to learn to listen to what our bodies are telling us, I have to admit that I still don't feel hungry but I still have it tattooed in my memory somehow breakfast dinner lunch and snacks. That is how my body copes, I also have fruit and veg every day just as I did on the old ww meals. The only difference for me is the portion sizes and I have cut right down on alcohol intake. I didn't drink every day but did drink to excess when I did could drink anyone under the table, but now I just dilute it all down with lemonade and have a lot less. I worry about weight gain and if I should ever go back to what I was I would hate that to happen and have to make sure it doesn't happen to me. I have treats but where we might have had a bar of chocolate I have 2 or 3 squares tops. Crisps I like pom bears, ringos, wotsits etc, lower in fat and calories than ordinary ones. If I don't have veg that day then I have 4 pieces of fruit/ portions. Try to limit the carbs and keep up the protein. Also keep the fluids going in. xxx Hope that makes sense to you all. I don't regret this surgery and its true what people say we have been given our lives back. I am not super slim and never will be. I am a size 18 but am 5ft 6-7, I started this journey at 24 st 11lb. I now fluctuate between 14st 5 and 14st 11. I was a size 32 and some of those clothes were too tight around thighs n hips. So to me I am slim the nicest compliment I have had recently was a new lady at work who one day I said too would this over all fit me and she said why wouldn't it I explained bout my op and how big I was she said if she had to describe me now she would have just said I am an average weight person. In my head I am still larger than most people yet when I see myself in shop windows or try to fit through spaces I think I can't I can see a huge difference I can fit through with ease and room to spare and I have to check out my reflection as I look so different some people don't even recognise me. Enjoy your journeys try not to get to hung up. IF YA DOWN TALK ABOUT IT ON HERE WITH PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND AND CARE. XXXXXX

Thanks all for you kind words. I'm feeling better today. I was also thinking, with the whole mal absorption,would antidepressants be less absorbed as well? (I'm in the process of weaning myself off them anyway,but would the op have made a difference in absorption?)

I think once youcan begin to eat solid food you will begin to feel better. iquestioned my decision but now 3 months post op band to bypass ifeel great. i can eat what i want and it is my decision to eat well it has given me a freedom from food dictating me to me dictating. i am now in control after nearly 45 years of yoyoing i am now going in the right direction. Keep plodding on you will soon find that your period of adjustment is a thing of the past look foreward to a new regenerised healthier you and be proud that you have taken that step toa longer happier life good luck

Feel a bit of a failure today :-( was chuffed to bits when I saw a 0,5 kg loss this morn,after standing still with loss for nearly a week.spoke to dietician of provider today, she told me I could start on mushies today, but she also said I should be aiming for around 1kg loss a week :-( so I've lost half of that since I spoke to her last week. What am I doing wrong? I try to walk around for about an hour in the day,sometimes a bit more, but I'm not able to go long walks ATM, as I'm always with my girls and they can't walk for miles yet. Quite gutted now :-(

Back