• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

anyone not use protein shakes etc

Tracey ( eyore)

Did anyone not have protein shakes/supplements after their op??
If you are one of these people what did you do to get all your protein in ?

I was told today I have to have forcival (think that is what its called got it written down anyway), if I don't like that got to have slimfast, build up or complan.

I had them on the liquid and puree stages but my dietician says to try to get my protein from food if I can now I'm on solids x

I was told to avoid them as lots had a high sugar content. I havn't had any but I intend to talk again my surgeon and dietician as I am aware that my protein intake is not high enough (currently I cant tolerate chicken and fish ). I am also aware that other UK and USA surgeons have a different opinion.

I made the mistake of getting my prescription filled for forceval with all the same flavour. The berries one. I dreaded drinking it, had I got several different flavours I may have had more success with it. I ended upsticking to milk.

Immediately post op it made me feel nauseous so I rarely used it, only when I was having problems getting any food down when I had a stricture. I'll use it if I don't feel like eating much (which I really shouldn't as there's no substitute for real food) and have a particularly sensitive or troublesome pouch but I don't use it on a regular basis.

The stuff that holland and barratt makes is made with sweetners rather than sugar so I found they didn't made me dump.

Ive never really had any but i do eat lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of chicken!!!!!

Someone on here (I think, or it might have been another site) posted a link to "The World According to Egg Face" who is post-op RNY and has come up with recipes for high protein low-fat food suitable for anyone "on the other side".

The only ingredient that's a little tricky to get hold of is her preferred brand of sugar free syrups used for flavouring, although I have found a UK importer so might give it a go.

Han attempted her banana nut muffins and although they were good they were a little dry without the syrup so it looks like it's something one needs to get the full benefit of her culinary arts.

Regards, Ade.

the hospital sent me home with 21 bottles of fortisip and they are gross, I've been using complan and slimfast, milky coffees and condensed soups made up with milk on my liquid only post op.

thanks for your replies guys.....really helpful
i have seen the world according to egg face already and will be trying some of her recipes but i am allergic to nuts so i need to find things without nuts x

Yes, I used protein shakes and occasionally still do, although I am now eating enough not to need them. If you search the site here you will find lots of threads of where to get decent ones, why the body needs protein, and recipes from phatgirl in the recipe section for baking with them etc.

Protein is essential for healing and so very important in the early days. I credit reaching my goal so quickly to my high protein low carb intake during the losing.

I came home with fortimel from the hospital but found out about 8 days after that i had a lactose intolerance which was making me run the loo at least 3 times a day and sometimes not making it there (sorry tmi). When i went onto lactose free milk and used it to make slimfast and still couldn't take it as slimfast has s/skim milk in it...

Hence any protein i get is in food. I'm not eating loads of protein but am hopeful that i may be able to tolerate real milk soon ( a friend had it for 10 weeks then was able to tolerate it again), i will then if necessary incorporate a protein shake to boost my intake.....

Lets face it, we can't eat loads in the early days so all the help is needed.

I always make sure at least one of my "snacks" is a pint of milk....usually my last snack of the day, so if i know I havent had enough protein during the day i may turn it into a fruit milkshake with a scoop of protein powder to give it a boost.....just don't tell my dieticians haha they really don't like you using the powders at Chichester

The only ingredient that's a little tricky to get hold of is her preferred brand of sugar free syrups used for flavouring, although I have found a UK importer so might give it a go.

You can buy Agave Syrup in UK supermarkets if that's what you're referring to. It contains natural sugars (glucose & fructose) so whilst it is better for you than refined sugar (sucrose) and has a low GI, it still should be used sparingly by post-op bypassers.

Unless you mean something completely different in which case I'd love to hear about it :D

never used them i bought some from holland and barretts, but it taste nasty, also my baritic nurse said not to use them, they are a waste, i get my protein with milk, chicken and cheese. xx

I came home with fortimel from the hospital but found out about 8 days after that i had a lactose intolerance which was making me run the loo at least 3 times a day and sometimes not making it there (sorry tmi). When i went onto lactose free milk and used it to make slimfast and still couldn't take it as slimfast has s/skim milk in it...

Hence any protein i get is in food. I'm not eating loads of protein but am hopeful that i may be able to tolerate real milk soon ( a friend had it for 10 weeks then was able to tolerate it again), i will then if necessary incorporate a protein shake to boost my intake.....

Lets face it, we can't eat loads in the early days so all the help is needed.

The protein powder I use (Maximuscle Promax) is more or less lactose free and you make it with water so that would suit you if you wanted to use one.

Back