• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

anyone not use protein shakes etc

I use slimfast ready made if I am busy and don't have time for food. I was told by my dietician not to use powdered slimfast as it con tained too much sugar

I use whey protein powder as a supplement not only for the extra protein content but also to compensate for any amino acid deficiency as the body cannot produce these, they need to come from protein sources. We need to be eating in the region of 90g of protein a day from various sources to ensure we maintain good nutritional levels and that can sometimes be difficult to achieve every day.

You can buy Agave Syrup in UK supermarkets if that's what you're referring to. ... Unless you mean something completely different in which case I'd love to hear about it :D

Michelle ("Eggface") uses Torani branded syrups which are usually added to coffee, etc. They have cinnamon, hazelnut, macadamic nut, toffee, lime, peach, pumpkin pie, almond, caramel, chocolate, coconut, french vanilla, irish cream, mango, peanut butter, raspberry, black cheery, chocolate chip cookie dough, coffee, gingerbread, lemon, orange, peppermint, strawberry, white chocolate, vanilla bean, watermelon and vanilla flavours, all of which are sugar free. Strangely enough, they all seem to do a (non sugar-free) bacon flavour one!

Regards, Ade.

Michelle ("Eggface") uses Torani branded syrups which are usually added to coffee, etc. They have cinnamon, hazelnut, macadamic nut, toffee, lime, peach, pumpkin pie, almond, caramel, chocolate, coconut, french vanilla, irish cream, mango, peanut butter, raspberry, black cheery, chocolate chip cookie dough, coffee, gingerbread, lemon, orange, peppermint, strawberry, white chocolate, vanilla bean, watermelon and vanilla flavours, all of which are sugar free. Strangely enough, they all seem to do a (non sugar-free) bacon flavour one!

Regards, Ade.

Oh right, I've not heard of those but they sound delicious, and sugar-free too, excellent!! :D

Please let us know if you manage to source any, or if you have to place a bulk order then I'm sure there'd be a few of us who would want some too. I know I certainly would. I'll have to check out this "Eggface" blog, sounds rather good!

Hiya, sorry to hijack this post, but really want to get some protein mix in for when I am on the fluid stage, can anyone recommend any ones that taste ok, as a lot of people have said that the ones they have tasted have not been very nice :(
Would love to hear from anyone, thanks in advance ;);)

I had to do a shake a day till I was able to eat enough protein.

Some people can eat enough protein right away, but I sure couldn't.

Please let us know if you manage to source any, or if you have to place a bulk order then I'm sure there'd be a few of us who would want some too. I know I certainly would. I'll have to check out this "Eggface" blog, sounds rather good!

I can get them shipped over from a merchant on Amazon's U.S. site. The syrups appear to be $16.30 for a three pack (of the same flavour) of 25.4 oz bottles. I'd expect it to work out to about £20.00 per three pack including shipping, so would be around £7.00 plus UK postage per bottle. No idea what flavours would be available in this manner.

There is supposedly a UK distributor but they don't seem to do any of the sugar free syrups. I've asked on the off-chance however.

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll try to work out the pricing a little more definitively.

Regards, Ade.

I've no idea if this is suitable post-op, but I can tell you that the Slim Fast chocolate powder tastes great if you add a scoop of the chocolate protein powder you can get from Holland and Barrett. It tastes (imho) better than a full fat milkshake!

Regards, Ade.

I didn't drink any protein shakes - bought some samples though, I couldn't face actually drinking them.

Tbh I don't think I'm getting enough protein, as I've not lost any weight for the last week and depending on the time of day I've put on 2lbs (!!!) so as I'm not cheating and can only eat 2 spoons of 'food' 3 times a day I'm assuming that this is due to a lack of protein - my meals tend to be 1tbsp of blended chicken/fish and 1tbsp of mashed potatoes.

So if you can stomach the protein shakes I'd advise you to take them - I can't and so I must endure...

Poppy x

I have to have 100 gm protein a day having had a DS - and bought both a protein drink and Nectar - they both went in the bin after passing their sell-by dates - they were gross and making me more sick than eating!!

RNYers need 60 gm protein to adsorb the 45gm needed daily.

I get my protein from milk, chicken, yoghurts, things like Burgen bread have 6 gm per slice, and fish like salmon and smoked mackeral.

I've had no problems so far with protein levels

I did add Sanatogen protein powder to soups in the liquid phase and milk powder to anything it would dissolve in in the early stages.

Atkins ready made drinks are the ones I have most tolerated - low in carbs being Atkins!!

Many surgeons/dieticians don't like protein drinks and especially the protein shots - because the body can't absorb all the protein in these in one go- there is a limit apparently.

Angela x

I use protein shakes which a very low carb/sugar from Avidlite low carb shakes & they taste great (well to me anyway).

They have have 18g protein per 25.5g serving. They can also be made into a pudding by adding an egg or into a mousse as well as a shake!

My team also don't feel that protein drinks are necessary.
I don't watch my intake like a hawk but i do try to make sure i eat plenty of meat (mainly chicken and turkey) and i eat lots of eggs and half fat cheese, also drinking plenty of skimmed milk

Back