• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone under St Georges Hospital, London

Hi ,

I'm not with St G's anymore but have experience of them. I know they usually have top people but when the nurse (Kathy Edge) explained the way they calculate waiting times to me then I knew the trust was not for me ..

What did you want to know ??

Good luck with your surgery!

Hi Chrystal,

Well , although some surgeons are quite pushy and have their favourite surgery to do.... if you are adament about prefering a particular type that they offer it is really up to you. In essence they can only really recommend.

Who is your surgeon and what have they been saying ?

About the 26 week wait. According to Cathy Edge the CNS nurse St G are currently working at 18 weeks so your should get in sooner rather than later.

How would you sum up your experiences so far?

Hi Topboi

I originally saw Marcus Reddy at my first appointment who suggest a by-pass, at my last appointment the other week I saw one of his registrars and he was the one who was suggesting a band but in between the dietitian said if i can not get my BMI down then I would probably have a sleeve. I have made all the necessary adjustments to my diet but the weight just does not come off, this is partly due to a thyroid problem. I think that is why Marcus suggest the by-pass.

I would sum up my experience as good so far, I think i had my first appointment back in November last year and since then they have stuck to their timescales really well. What I think is delaying me is the dietitian. They only had one in the beginning but they now have 2 which means you don't have to wait so long for your appointment. The dietitian wants to keep an eye on me but hopefully my appointment in the next couple of weeks will be my last one and then I will get onto the list.

To be honest compared with some people on here I have had a pretty smooth run and I am really grateful of that.

You mentioned that you changed hospitals, which one did you go to and how are you feeling with your operation only 3 weeks away.

Hi Chrystal,

I think when all my surgery is done I'm going to reveal all of hospitals etc etc.... only because I was a bit naughty and had to pull some tricks and I have a feeling some of the nurses actually visit this site.

I will say that it is another london trust and the set us is completely different to St Georges.

Im excited and kind of still in shock from when I was told my surgery could be so soon. I was thinking 2010 ...have a look at my post (lurker no more life is leaner on the other side).

I've decided to start my pre op diet early and so far so good. I just had my first cup of Bovril and I really liked it so hopefully I can find some more liquids that I like that will see me through the first few weeks after I get my band.

I was set against getting a bypass as at my age I think it is a bit drastic and I wanted my weight loss to be more gradual rather than a massive drop.

Also Im actually frightened of losing too much weight as I dont think a really slender body would suit me. Also a gradual loss makes it less obvious to some people that you have had something done.......

Im quite used to operations now so Im not apprehensive about going under anaestic or anything like that. I am pleased that my surgeon mentioned having me in as a day case..although I doubt that this would happen its good to know that recovery is quicker.

What type of surgery to you want?

Hi Topboi

I am defiantly going to read your other thread, as I am intrigued at what you have done!!

In all honestly I thought I would not get accepted to have the surgery, so I was so shocked when they said I would be an ideal candidate.

Prior to getting my GP to refer me, I went for a private consultation to see what they would recommend. They suggested a band. When I went to the hospital they asked me what I would prefer I did say a band, as I thought it was less invasive and that it would suit me better. So you can totally imagine my surprise when they said I would be best suited to a by-pass, due to the problems that my thyroid condition creates on absorption of food etc.. They were really good, told me to go home and think and then if I wanted to go ahead I needed to write a letter of commitment. I don't think I have ever written a letter that quick. I even drove to the hospital the next day to hand deliver it.

It is good to hear that you have started your pre-op and so far enjoying it, I am not sure how I am going to handle that one, as I don't like milk and yogurt that much. I will be fine with fluids as I love NAS Robinsons squash. I am just hoping they will let me eat sugar free jelly!!

I think I am a bit like you in the sense that I don't think a slender body will suit me, but I guess that will be a little bit out of my control once the operation is done.

So do you have any tips on how to not get apprehensive about anaestic or operations as this will be my first.

Wow I haven't had a lot of people agree with me about not wanting to lose too much wait. In my eyes its not about going from one extreme to the other.

I've only had one bad experience of being put to sleep and that was abroad and done differently to when I've had it done in the UK.(I woke up cursing and saying so much rubbish that I had to apologise)

My tip would be to talk , talk to the people around ask questions whislt they are wiring you up and before you know it you will be asleep.

For me it is about being comfortable and losing some weight will do that. The surgeon once asked me what weight I would like to be, I said to him that I have no idea, as I can't remember what is is like to be lighter, I could only describe in clothes sizes.

Thanks for the tip I will bear that in mind. I also read your other post. I think you doing this at 20 is amazing, I wish I had to confidence to do this when I was that age.:)

Hi Chrystal,

I'm under st barts , not st george but still in london, i think the waiting times seem to be roughly the same, i had my first appointment in January.

Just curious as to what thyroid problem you have? I have an underactive thyroid and have read that bypass is supposed to help reduce the amount of medication needed, although my doctor said it's not true.

Hi Katastrophe

I too have an under active thyroid and have done since I was a little girl. On my first appointment the consultant said that a bypass would be better as when you have a thyroid problem your body sometimes decides to store more fat than it needs to. So when they do the intestine bypass bit this help to stop the body from absorbing too much.

My GP said that they will have to closely monitor my thyroid levels once I have had to surgery as they are most likely to reduce.

At your appointment at Bart's did they mention referring you to see an endocrinologist who might support the bariatric team?

Hi chrystal,

yes, I've been to see the endicronologist, had my levels checked and I was
under so had my thyroxine increased. I do find I basically have to
starve myself to lose weight, I've been
going to the gym to try to help it budge
a bit more. how much thyroxine do you have to
take?

Hi Katastrophe

I currently take 300 a day and have been on this for a while. I can totally understand that you have to really limit what you eat to lose any weight, I have the same problem.

When I asked my GP for a weight loss surgery referal they did a full set of tests on me and the I am totally healthy apart from being overweight which is due to the thyroid. When I told the surgeon how little I ate he asked did I not feel hungry, I said no, I very rarely feel hungry.

How far along are you with your surgical weight loss route?

Wow quite a high dose then, I'm on 150 at the moment, although my last results were showing me as under active still.

I've had all the tests and just waiting for an appointment to see the surgeon at Homerton, although I'm also waiting for a cpap machine and am told I have a 3 month wait for it - the anaethesatist won't put me under til I have it I'm told.

St George's

Hi Chrystal
I had my bypass surgery at St. George's in march by Mr Reddy. They told me 18 wks on list earliest but it was more like 28wks. anything else I can help with I would be more than happy to. So far I have lost 5 1/2 stone and feeling soooooooooooo much better. Good luck to you in your journey.
Ali

Hi Katastrophe

Lots of people tell me that it is a high dose but I have been on higher. This might be a silly question but what is a cpap machine? I am sure your surgeon date will be along soon. I have just had that one, so am waiting on finding out when I am going onto the operation list.

Hi Ali

Thank you for your response. I am glad there is someone else on here who has had theirs done at St Georges. Can you tell me if they still monitior you while you are on the list and how long did they suggest that you did the pre-op diet for.

5 1/2 stone that is amazing, I will be on cloud nine if I lose that much.

CPAP machine is for sleep apnea and stands for continuous positive airway pressure , basically it blows air at a prescribed pressure based on sleep study results....I'm really not looking forward to using it lol

Back