• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone under St Georges Hospital, London

I could not even imagine using one of those. They asked me if I suffered with sleep apnea, but I said I did not think so, they asked me if I woke up struggling for breath etc. I said no and they have not mentioned me going for a sleep test, so I think I may be ok there.

I don't wake up struggling either, i sleep like a log around 7 hours a night, don't fall asleep in the day or evening most of the time (unless eastenders is on ;) ) , work full time.... i'm still shocked they think i need it

So am I to be honest, as I am the same as you and they have not suggested anything for me yet. But then you never know what the multidisciplinary team are going to say. I was originally told I would not be set a weight loss target pre-op but then they decided to set me one. You never know when I go back to St Georges on Wednesday, they may mention sleep apnea!! If it was me I would go back to them and ask why they are recommending this considering the wait is 3 months.

Hi Chrystal
no they did not monitor me once I was on the list - I did not hear from anyone until about a month before surgery when they gave me a date. I went for a pre-op assessment 2 weeks before surgery and went on the preop diet then. It was a choice of all milk, milk and yoghurts or v low calorie diet. I didnt find it too bad it was a means to an end and I lost about 5kg. It also effectively shrinks your liver as day of op Mr Reddy said they would perform whichever op was safest for me during surgery ie. a sleeve gastrectomy or bypass and they did a successful bypass.
You will achieve 5 1/2 stone I didnt think I would but stick with it, keep exercising the results are amazing!! Good luck !!

By complete coincidence I use a cpap machine but have done since 2002 . I have not found it a problem in fact it saved my life and helped me lose the first 5 stone before surgery! Have they done lung function tests to state this requirement before anaesthetic?

Hi Chrystal
no they did not monitor me once I was on the list - I did not hear from anyone until about a month before surgery when they gave me a date. I went for a pre-op assessment 2 weeks before surgery and went on the preop diet then. It was a choice of all milk, milk and yoghurts or v low calorie diet. I didnt find it too bad it was a means to an end and I lost about 5kg. It also effectively shrinks your liver as day of op Mr Reddy said they would perform whichever op was safest for me during surgery ie. a sleeve gastrectomy or bypass and they did a successful bypass.
You will achieve 5 1/2 stone I didnt think I would but stick with it, keep exercising the results are amazing!! Good luck !!

Hi Ali

Thank you for the reply.

So fingers crossed for me that I will make it onto the list after Wednesday, as I have an appointment to see the dietitian again, I am just hoping I have lost some weight. I tend not to weigh myself at home because one the scales are different and two I don't want to get hung up on the figures. I think i will go over the pre-op diet with the dietitian again as I really do not like milk and I am only just getting use to eating half a yoghurt.

Not had any form of lung function tests, from my last discussion with one of the registrars he asked if I thought I had sleep apnea, I said no so did my hubby so I think they have left it there. They keep springing things on me.

Thank you once again for your wonderful words and hopefully I will be that thinner person one day.

you will , YOU WILL !! honest !
Good luck on wed - I've walked that path so many times to appts ( well actually I used to have to take a taxi from tube station to the hospital as I could not walk that far!! how bad is that!!)post on here how you get on. All the best. Ali.

Hi Ali, whats a lung function test ? The only test i've had is a sleep study at home.

Chrystal, i think i'm just going to see what the surgeon says when i go to see him - just waiting for my appointment :)

Good Luck for Wednesday :D

Well that is me back from the hospital this morning. They are really pleased as I have lost half a stone :D since they last saw me but they would still like for me to reach their weight loss target of 10kg. So they have given me another appointment for 2 December and if I have lost some more weight they may just put me onto the list.

Here is hoping that I don't put weight on again.

wow, really welldone !! half a stone is fab and they were obviously pleased with you.:D They are looking for commitment and you have shown that so you gotta keep going !! :):):)
Have they given you any help with it?? there's lots of help and ideas on this site and just about 6 wks to go before appt keep going you are nearly there !!:)
All the best, Ali

Hi Katastrophe
lung function tests just measure how effective your lungs are. jus wondered what they based your need for cpap on but you said you had home sleep studies. did they explain the results of those to you? Hope you hear something soon :)
All the best, Ali

Hi Ali

Thank you for the lovely words of encouragement. I will do my best to keep it up. They have not given me any assistance apart from keep doing what I am and try to exercise more. Although I am not one for going to the gym and I am too heavy for a Wii fit. I think I might increase the amount of times I go swimming.

Hi Chrystal, Swimming is good. I found an aqua fit class really helpful, its fun and if you fall the water supports you also nobody can see you in the water!! Good luck with it and keep posting how you are getting on.
All the best, Ali

hi i have each of the threads but could someone break down exactly what waiting times were from first referal at docs to surgery as im so desperate i have almost finished my 18 week waiting list for the 3 appointments dietician pshycology and consultant do u have any idea how much longer i may have to wait for surgery and things pls hope someone can help me xx

I was going to ass the same thing. I had the group meeting at the hospital when we had to sign that we would commit etc and we were then told that we had to wait 4 months then we would be given the 3 appointments and then surgery would be approx 18 weeks after that.

Im just trying to guess roughly when it could happen so I can book a holiday next year lol

hi all im with St Georges hospital and my first appointment in july 2008, i have completed all assesments i am now waiting for a letter so i can go on the waiting list because they wanted to do the gastric band for me but i made an appoitment to speak to Dr Reddy to change it becase i want to do the gastric bypass. some patients have a long time to take for their op and some are short time.

I was going to ass the same thing. I had the group meeting at the hospital when we had to sign that we would commit etc and we were then told that we had to wait 4 months then we would be given the 3 appointments and then surgery would be approx 18 weeks after that.

Im just trying to guess roughly when it could happen so I can book a holiday next year lol

i had my first group appointment july 13th 09 and u have to wait 18 weeks befor they will even give u an apointment for ur assessments im on my 17th week so hopefully mine should be through soon i really really hope so xx

St Georges

hi crystalk
i had my op at St Georges in September 2008 under Mr Wan, my waiting time from date of acceptance onto waiting list was 18 weeks and they stuck to this, i had no problems post op except for a couple of weeks after i was readmitted because of dehydration (i was'nt eatin or drinkin enough) but have been fine since, i have lost over 5 stone since. My journey pre-op was swift but i have noticed that since my op i have had very little followup, the dieticians are always rearranging appointments so i havent seen one since june altho i am seeing one on 16 dec if they dont change it again, i am not seeing Mr Wan again until March 2010 but i'm sure if there is a problem they will see me before. I hope all goes well for you
Sharon :)

Back