• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone who has reached Ideal weight / BMI.

shazbo

Hi x

Those who have reached healthy bmi, what do you eat to maintain, do you get hungry, how long was journey x thank you x

Your hunger will return anything between six months and a year out and it comes back with a vengeance. So you really have to make the lifestyle changes that will determine ultimate success or failure in that honeymoon golden period of the first nine months post op. That's why us old timers bang on about it so much as in the early days post op you think you'll never feel hungry again.

I ate healthily is all I can say really. Still protein first and reduced carbs, but I ate six small meals a day rather than the three gut busting extravaganzas I ate previously. The main thing for successful maintaining though is linking your intake to a healthy lifestyle. I joined a gym and trained six days a week. Three days cardio and three resistance. This was undoubtedly the key to my success. The more exercise you do the more you can eat and the better your body metabolizes the fuel.

There are those that say post op we never need to worry about dieting again. Indeed some NUTs will say never even mention the word diet post op just live your life normally. Well most normal people follow a diet. Not a rigorous 1000 calorie a day weigh everything diet, but they follow a diet of largely healthy eating non the less. The best advice I was ever given was post op remember you are on a diet for life, the surgery just takes away the grind from it is all. That is so true, we have to consider what we are eating and when for the rest of our lives, but unless we couple that to an effective exercise plan we will always struggle to maintain long term.

Ditto what Karlos says :eek:).
You have to do the head work and make the right choices. I can never have a day off from my bypass and have a big meal because I can't eat big portions. I can have a day off and graze on calorie dense food all day. I have to make sure I choose not to.
I weigh every day and hope I always will. Not getting on those scales is a signal to me that I have not been making wise choices and am scared, so I keep on top of it.
I am obsessed with what I eat and making sure I get enough , moderate in my case, exercise in. I prefer to be obsessive than super morbidly obese.
It's a tool that feels like magic for the first few months. But it ain't magic that gets you to a healthy BMI and keeps you there- it's hard work. Having said that of course, there is no way I could have got to where I am without the gift of a bypass.
xx

I started to lose weight on my own in January 2011 and had my op end April same year. I got to my own goal and normal bmi in October last year so about 20 months in all.

To maintain I try to eat three healthy meals a day, and as Karlos says, eating protein first. I have been told to increase my calories so that I maintain rather than lose, so I must admit I am now eating some 'treat' type foods like a slice of cake, or some chocolate. I have a naturally sweet tooth so am trying to keep these to a minimum (fighting a losing battle sometimes though). I am trying to have higher calorie things like nuts as snacks.

Yes I do still get hungry so need to watch what I am doing.

Back