• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

appetite is back with a vengeance

kevinireland

Hi guys i was banded on the 14th of feb and my appetite is back bigtime i even think Ive over eaten for the first time in six weeks Ive even had some chocolate which i don't even eat . I'm really worried Ive done damage to my band . How would i know if Ive done damage to my band ? Im really worried.

I think you would be in an awful lot of pain Kevin, if you had damaged it or slipped it.
What you do need to do is grab a plan of action for yourself and stop the panic eating a bit.
Some of us are logging what we eat and what exercise we do on the banders thread below my signature. Why don't you join us from tomorrow and see if that helps you stay in more control as some of us also have little or weak restriction but have found logging everything really useful last week.
See what you feel like but you are welcome along

My appetite came back quite quickly. I think you have to be patient until you get to the so called 'sweet spot' with fills. Until then it can be hard work to control your eating.

Neen thanks for your reply i think I'm just panicking that Ive done damage to my band .Would the internal swelling and stitches have healed by now ? The best of all im eating thing ive never craved or eaten I don't even eat chocolate and sweets and have found myself dipping into the kids treats . Whats that about ? Anyway ill be joining the thread tomorrow and documenting everything i eat .

You're probably just genuinely hungry if you think about it logically Kevin. You're used to a big amount of food pre -op then out of nowhere your body goes through pre-op diet and then just liquids....it's probably trying to get you back to what it has come to know as your "normal" intake.
It will adjust and you can have a pretty decent amount of calories being a guy as well, so hopefully with a bit of careful planning of what you are going to have each day, you will be OK.
Try not to worry and although I know it's difficult, try and go for the healthy choices if you can.
I have found a slimfast at night (my really snacky time) helps stop me go after worse choices for reasonable calories.
Try not to be worried about whats done as that in itself can make matters worse.
It is disappointing when you feel like you can eat as much as you did pre-op but even without anything in your band , you should have a degree of restriction by the remaining swelling and band in situ.
You are on mushies still are you? You could probably have scrambled egg now, and cottage pie etc but go steady.

Last edited:
Hiya,

I had my band fitted on the 1st February. Within 2 weeks my appetite was back with vengence!!

I have found it difficult to control the amount i'm eating and I am eating the same portions as before.

Some things do get stuck and I have been bringing some food back up when this happens. It's mainly chicken or bread so I try to avoid these.

I'm going to try diet chef to try and get my portion size under control but will have to wait for payday first!

I'm seeing my bariatric team on the 14th March but they've told me its unlikely I will have a fill for 3 - 4 months :confused:

Hiya,

I had my band fitted on the 1st February. Within 2 weeks my appetite was back with vengence!!

I have found it difficult to control the amount i'm eating and I am eating the same portions as before.

Some things do get stuck and I have been bringing some food back up when this happens. It's mainly chicken or bread so I try to avoid these.

I'm going to try diet chef to try and get my portion size under control but will have to wait for payday first!

I'm seeing my bariatric team on the 14th March but they've told me its unlikely I will have a fill for 3 - 4 months :confused:

If you want to join us and log in your daily food and exercise , please do love xxx A couple of us had losses this week and I think it's something we will just carry on doing to help each other get some results this year , just go on the "join us here" link under my name x

Here you go x
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wlsurgery/130804-we-can-do-too-all-welcome-x-134.html

From tomorrow , we'll just be on chatting to each other as usual and a few of us are just logging what we eat and how much if any exercise we can fit in.
We're just trying to help each other over some struggles and build up some good habits so we can all have a much slimmer summer this year x.. have a read back a couple pages so you can see how we all did last week to give you an idea of what I mean

Hi Kevin, the time between the band op and the 1st fill is the hardest time for most banders as when the swelling goes down the band is usually empty and hunger will return and no restriction given, so while the bands empty for that healing time the desire to eat normally will return & no restriction is there so basically its down to will power and what "you choose" to eat before the 1st fill, i always believed people cant start to understand or use the band correctly until the fill process begins and then the learning process of knowing how to use restriction properly can begin, 1st fill with most providors is usually around the weeks 6-8 mark depending on the waiting list for fills, just a tip please dont rely on fills alone to lose weight as a tight band isnt a good band, restriction is a tricky thing to learn to use correctly but once learned its a fantastic tool. Good luck x

Back