• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Appt with Plastic Surgeon on monday

mandy130

Hello,

Im new here but hoping to get some advice from anyone in the same position or area as me.

I had a gastric bypass almost 1 year ago and have lost a total of 7st 4lbs. I am carrying very large amounts of excess skin on my tummy which can only be described as jelly like. I went to my GP who suggested right away being refered to the plastics dept at the hospital I had my bypass at. This appt is on Monday and it has hit me today that the PCT may not fund this?
I live under North Lincolnshire pct, has anyone else had any dealings with them recently? Does anyone know there criteria?

My BMI is currently 26.3 and my GP said it wont go any lower due to the excess skin I have, I have maintained the same weight now since October last year.

I also have arthritis at the top of my spine which is made worse by the weight on my front, hence why I had the bypass in the first place.

Any info would help?

Mandy x

Hi Mandy
I had a breast reduction nearly 4yrs ago which was NHS (I'm in Shropshire) due to back problems.

I think if your GP has referred you then it should be PCT funded, doctors don't usually send you to see the consultant if there's doubt over who's funding it; the only decision the consultant will make is whether he IS going to do it or not.

With the fact you've lost so much weight, its obviously causing you pain and also (presumably) its unpleasant, I would think you have a good chance.

Good luck any way, let us know how it goes!

Had my appt today, surgeon said that I do need a TT but getting the funding is a postcode lottery and although he said my PCT are better then some, I shouldn't get my hopes up :(

Will just wait and see!

Mandy
x

I think it's disgusting that you clearly have a medical reason for needing a tt and the PCT still has control. If the surgeon says it is necessary then it should be done in my opinion!

Fingers crossed for you anyway

x

Well I got a copy of the letters from the PS and the funding request letter from my GP to the PCT. In the letter from the PS is says:

"She is distressed over the apperance of her abdomen and breasts, which is causing her emotional problems that is putting presure on her relationship"

"Her breasts are very small (made me feel better) Cup size A, the right breast is smaller then the left. With regard to her abdomen she has loose fold of skin both above and below the umbilicus with 2cm of rectus divarification"??? I have no idea what this means???

My GP's letter states:

"She has lost a tremendous amount of weight from her abdomen and also her breasts and as a result she is having a problem with her abdominal folds of skin, getting recurrent intertrigo underneath"

From reading other peoples experiances in this, I am really doubtful I will get the funding, I know north lincs are not as good as some other pct's.

Does anyone know how long it may take for a decision to be made by the pct?

Mandy x

Wow bet you are so chuffed with the total weightloss, thats fantastic. Now lets keep everything crossed with the PCT for you xxx

2cm of rectus divarification"??? I have no idea what this means???

This is the size of the gap between the stomach muscles or your six pack so to speak. There shouldnt really be a gap there at all.
xxx

Oh, that's cr*p Mandy, I'm sorry. Any chance you could appeal or get financed to do it privately?

Hugs, Sarah x

Thanks Mandy, Really think you should appeal. Try again you have nothing to lose.
I am with Wandsworth PCT. tried to find anyone else that may have been through this in my area but no luck yet.

Here is the criteria for wandsworth pct:

The Panel will consider whether or not the patient fulfills these criteria:
• scarring following trauma or previous abdominal surgery
• patients undergoing treatment for morbid obesity who have excessive skin folds
• previously obese patients who have lost a large amount of weight and maintained the loss for at least two years
• as part of abdominal hernia correction or other abdominal wall surgery
• stable BMI between 18 and 27 kg m-2 AND
• severe functional problems which may include:
• recurrent intertrigo beneath the skin fold
• severe difficulties with daily living
• post-trauma or surgical scarring leading to poor appearance and resulting in disabling psychological distress or risk of infection
• poorly-fitting stoma bags.

http://www.wandsworth-pct.nhs.uk/pdf/GPReferral/ECI/WPCT%20ECI%20aesthetic%20final%20ver.pdf

Hope this helps

Mandy

Last edited:
Yeah I have been googling for days now....yeah normal pct talk. Fit some of the criteria but just never know what they are going to say. My friend had a breast reduction recently, same PCT when she was referred to a consultant they did not need to apply to the PCT although it states that they must, so feeling very confused, not sure if the process has changed.

Back