• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Are you on the painkiller called TRAMADOL? please read!!

Stamperlou

Hi all.
I haven't shared this story before, as I don't want to be negative, but I feel it needs to be discussed.
I was lucky enough to have a gastric bypass 14 months ago & it was the best thing that I ever did for myself. The surgery went without a hitch, but I did experience some problems due to the Tramadol that I was taking right up to the day before the op.
I was in a fair amount of pain before the op, mainly as my ankles & knees couldn't take the strain of my weight. I was already taking strong co-codamol every 4 hrs, also Voltarol which is also a strong painkiller. I was still suffering, so my GP prescribed Tramadol. At this point in my life, I didn't care what was in the tabs, so long as they worked. I immediately began to take them as often as prescribed.
After some amount of time (months) I happened to run out of these tablets and I intended on re-filling the prescription the following day. Within a few hours of when I would have taken the tablet, I became really distressed and panicky. I was uncontrollably tearful and couldn't bear to be alone. Luckily, I managed to get someone to come to my aid. I immediately went to the surgery & collected the prescription. After taking the tablet, I felt better in a matter of minutes.
This should have been a warning about how strong & addictive these things were.
On my pre-op assessment, I mentioned the Tramadol, but neither the surgeon or the assessment nurses thought it would be a problem, but it certainly was.
Immediately after the surgery, I remember coming round & being hit by a wave of pain. I was crying & hyper ventilating. Because it is major stomach surgery, I didn't feel I could take a breath, so my oxygen levels dropped. I was on a Morphine drip, which was checked by the staff & found to be working. The initial post op proceedure is to give you a button to push which administers the Morphine. I was maxed out, but still in horrible pain. I couldn't leave the recovery room for a few hours and I can still remember crying in pain several hours later. By the next day, it had subsided & I was ok. After a while the Morphine drip is removed. I was ok for a while, then sometime later, I began to suffer withdrawal symptoms from the Tramadol, which had been masked by the Morphine. On the 3rd night post op, I found my legs were convulsing violently, totally out of my control. I began to overheat & sweat heavily, then feel freezing cold. I was throwing up & had diaorrhea. This lasted about 10 hours and I got no sleep. The night staff didn't have clue what it was, and it eventually dawned on me that I was detoxing badly.
The reason it happened when it did was because Morphine & Tramadol are a similar type of drug. Taking it for a period of time would have blocked the pain receptors in my brain, making the Morphine redundant, but when my system was finally clear of both drugs, I went through major detox, which would have been bearable, had I not had major surgery to recover from.
I am not alone in this experience. A good friend of mine had emergency surgery for a totally different reason and because she had been on Tramadol, she suffered in the exact same way.
If you are on the waiting list for surgery and are currently taking Tramadol. I would strongly advise that you talk to your GP about getting off it before you go to hospital. Chances are, if you take it regularly, you are addicted to it. (don't believe me? try NOT taking it for a day & see what happens!)
so being without it will be hard, but if this story stops one person being in the mess I was after surgery, it will be worth it.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
P.S, the surgeon did actually apologise for not advising me to stop taking it before I went in for my op, so I guess this reaction is something they know about.
Take care all.
Lou.

Hi Lou,

*HUGS*

I am speechless at the trauma and pain you went through.:hug99:

Thank you for posting this information as I am sure it will be very helpful to others who are considering surgery.

but if this story stops one person being in the mess I was after surgery, it will be worth it

Love Mini xxx

hi lou my mam takes tramadol everyday for severe pain also morphine she has to but i do agree they are addictive so people beware xxx

Hi lou

I can't believe what I just read and it all seems very familiar yet I did not know it. I had been taking tramadol for nearly a year for arthritis in my knees due to the excess weight. However in January I stopped taking them because my knees had started to improve and didn't need them anymore. At the same time I was really ill and it was put down to a virus, but I was constantly feeling sick and was vomiting with everything I eat or drank and had diarhoea as well. I was so hot and could not cool down, I would go out walk about the garden in the freezing icy cold in shorts and vest just to try and cool down but it didn't work, it probably just made me look a fool to the neighbours. Then at other times I was icy cold and no matter what I did I could not get warm. I couldn't stop shaking either, it was terrible.

I take other meds for bipolar and because of this I couldn't even get my meds to stay down and I became ill mentally very quickly and ended up being section and kept in hospital for 5 weeks.

But everything you say has convinced me that this medication Tramadol is to blame. My doctor has just re-prescribed it again as my knees are starting to play up again, I have not took the first one yet and I am certainly not going to after reading this. Especially as I am having my gastric bypass op on 26th June in just 30 Days (not that I am counting, lol). I would like to thank you very much for this information and I am glad that I read it before taking them again.

Many thanks

Helen

Hi Helen.
I'm sorry you had to find out the hard way too. After having the extreme withdrawal reaction in the hospital I didn't take another tablet again. I'd have to be pretty desperate to start them again!
Fortunately, now I've lost weight, the pain isn't so bad so I don't need them.
I do have to say to anyone reading this, I haven't done any research on the drug, I'm just telling of my own personal experience. If you are about to start or stop taking these, please talk to the GP and make sure the decision is the right one for you!
Thanks to Mini & Taz for your kind thoughts.
Georgina, I have written to you in your thread about your mum. I'm not suprised she is taking Tramadol, considering her condition that you've described. It does have a place & a purpose with some people. I'm just not sure they should be prescribing it as readily as they do without some warnings before doing so.
Lou.

Hi i take a combo of 15 tabs aday and including 2 tramadol and 8 co codamol have been taking tramadol for a year now but have had periods of time where have not taken them and have had no probs thank god, i hope to have my bypass in the next 4 weeks but when i see the surgeon i will def ask him.
Ty for the info amm sure it will really help many peeps who are in chronic pain due to obesity.
Soz u had to go through such a terrible time but at least its all over and now due to ur bypass u dont need the tramadol and thats amazing.
Take care and ty luv Roch xx

After having my apendix out i was given Tramadol, i was 18 at the time and i got addicted too it there wasent one day that went by that i didnt take a pill, i took them for sore heads sore tummy ect but with the help of my boyfriend i managed to wean my self of them and have not taken Tramadol for 2 years

hi lou havent heard from u in a while so i will mail u to see how u r, thanx for ur message in my thread xxx

Back