• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

arghhh smoking

jessoliver2012

only at beginning of journey as some of you know, but i am now really concerned about quiting smoking. i dont have any intentions of quiting smoking until i have learnt to control my weight as i know i will eat more.
but have read a few posts about smoking and how you have to be a non smoker etc.
please someone help cuz i really will not be able to quit smoking anytime soon :cry::eek::eek:

hiya :). did they tell u to stop or that your op would be affected if u didnt quit. read a few stories on here where people have to be non smoker to qualify for it.
but theres no point in me kidding myself that i will be a non smoker, as i dont drink any alcohol anymore (ever) so smoking is my only friend lol oh aswel as food atm haha. x

i had to give up for mine,which i did no problems,i wanted this so bad so wouldve done anything they asked me too xx

It's better for you if you don't smoke pre op. mainly because 1) it's less stress on your lungs during and after the op. 2) it aids faster healing afterwards, as your blood has far more oxygen in it because it's not being depleted by the carbon monoxide your ingesting when you smoke.

At the end of the day it's your choice. But my GP and PCT would not even consider my referral if I was a smoker. Perhaps it might be an idea to check out your PCT's referral criteria, if your going for an NHS funded procedure :)

dont get me wrong i want this more than anything, but i know in the long run i will be not a very nice person if i just stop. lol. i had my wisdom teeth out 2 months ago and the first thing i did when i got out was light a cig. i have been smoking 4 12 years and its so so difficult grrrrr.
paula how do i check the pct thing? my dietician knows im a smoker and still referred me. xx

as you're at the begining of your journey, you would be better off giving up now. Then by the time you do your pre op diet and have your op, you will be ok. The last thing you want is to diet, have your op, then stop and start eating because of it. Good luck xxx

thank u i really appreciate it that. im not sure if i will be under bradford or kirklees yet. but oh dear it clearly says non smokers haha. beta start looking at quiting asap.

and caren thats exactly what im thinking. i am at beginning of journey which means a wait of probably a year so i have time to try quit before then. problem is iv tried all the patches gums etc and had no joy so will have to speak to my gp about it and see what else they can do to help me. motivation is the key and well i dont have much of that lol. but maybe if i look at is as a key to start training myself for after the op. :) hmmmm i will try not sure when tho lol xxx

I quit with champix. It may be worth visiting your GP and asking them to prescribe them. Also it's a big plus for your referral if you can quit before hand, as it demonstrates that your committed to changing your lifestyle :)

thank u i really appreciate it that. im not sure if i will be under bradford or kirklees yet. but oh dear it clearly says non smokers haha. beta start looking at quiting asap.

and caren thats exactly what im thinking. i am at beginning of journey which means a wait of probably a year so i have time to try quit before then. problem is iv tried all the patches gums etc and had no joy so will have to speak to my gp about it and see what else they can do to help me. motivation is the key and well i dont have much of that lol. but maybe if i look at is as a key to start training myself for after the op. :) hmmmm i will try not sure when tho lol xxx
well they wont do your op if u smoke, theres a big incentive :) and think of all the money you will have! you'll need that for new clothes lol ask your doc about champix, ive heard its great, good luck :) xxx

yeah iv heard about champix but i have depression and have tried to commit suicide when i was younger and it says in the things iv read that champix affects it. plus my doctor getting annoyed with me as am always in there lol xx

My hospital wouldn't have operated if I didn't give up, I lost weight too, I just put myself on a strict diet. There is nothing in this world I wouldn't have given up for this op. And i had been a smoker for over 30 years.

I am also trying to quit smoking been smoking now for 27 years, but to be fair I was never a heavy smoker probably about 6 a day sometimes I would go a whole day without any, so decided for the benefit of my health and to gain pounds in my pocket I would stop, but I am having my op with mr El-Hasani at chelsfield park and he knew I was a smoker and told me to stop two weeks before op and nothing about not starting again but at nearly £7 a pack now I think it's time u stooped. Always said when they got to £5 a pack I would stop.
I just stopped but I found if I stopped after lat one I craved them more knowing I didn't have any but this time I left 5 in a pack and that craving isn't there because I know if I really want one I can. But I haven't as of yet. And lastly (sorry a bit long here) I thought if I'm doing my pre-op diet soon I can not eat so that kills two birds stop smoking can't eat so hopefully won't put on weight. That's my theory. Have managed 4 days so far and been absolutely fine. But everyone is different ?
Good luck.

thanks for all the feedback. am going to speak to my gp soon about trying to quit again. to be honest i think i smoke so many due to boredom. need to find something to do so i wont want to smoke so many. and by my op in approx a year i WILL be a non smoker :) watch this space. ;) xx

Back