• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

arghhh smoking

jessoliver2012

atleast i know im not in a rush to quit so if i have a blip i can work on y i did. starting now is defo for the best or il be a few weeks before op and if i have blip then, well that could cause me not having op. if there so many of you that have managed it, it shouldnt be any different for me :) xx

jessoliver2012

hi sam. just the thought of it scares me lol. not only the addiction but habit. keep thinkin wot am i going to do with not smoking haha xx

snagglepuss

No regrets!!
Give up right now before you start doing milk diets etc. Just before surgery will be too late, as nerves will weaken your willpower. Use patches, Champix, gum, whatever it takes! During and immediately post-surgery smoking increases the risk of breathing difficulties, blood clots, anaesthetic problems, heart attacks, and infection, and also healing of wounds will be slower due to less oxygen being in your bloodstream. Please take this seriously - if you want this op more than anything in the world you will give up! I have to question why anyone would put themself and the NHS through such serious surgery, but then continue to do something which will ultimately kill them. Its not worth it. And I'm speaking as someone who smoked - I gave up as soon as I was offered surgery, because I knew the risks, and quite rightly my surgeon flatly refused to even see me until I'd given up. I wish you good luck but please do it sooner rather than later, you have other struggles to get through before surgery, and you need to get the smoking on out of the way first! :)

jessoliver2012

thanks snagglepuss i agree fully. but it is very hard. and my addiction to smoking is more of an issue than my addiction with food. and if addictions were easy to overcome i guess none of us would be here considering wls. i really do need help, and so glad i have decided to address this now rather than closer to the surgery.
need to find something i enjoy doing. as i dont work so all i want to do is smoke. xx

alisoomy71

I am also trying to quit the habit, I have gone 11 days now without a cigarette, it's not been easy as my son and parents both smoke. But hey they all eat too will they stop doing that round me after my op, I think not. But still have a few cravings but I am holding them at bay for now.
I am pleased I have done so well. Just got to keep it up. I think you too will get to a stage where you feel ready to quit, I got put on waiting list for my bypass in march 2011 and only quit in may when I found out my op was going to be in June (it's the 1st July) but close enough. I thought at least that way I will have stopped for 6 weeks by the time my operation is. It's a strange feeling when you get given your date it's like someone switching on a light in your head, you suddenly don't feel hungry don't crave the foods you used to and start feeling guilty about eating food not on the pre op list.
Well I did maybe that was just me.
Hope you get on ok. Sorry was a bit long.

Ali gonna-be-slim-soon

jessoliver2012

lol well done ali :). i think i will be able to do it just not right now. but i have ages before to quit anyway. : )xx