• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Awaiting 4-part Course @ Sunderland...

Pistachio4

Hello....

I'm a newbie here, having just started the ball rolling Sept'16.. I've been referred by my GP, attended an intial Group Seminar which I then opted in for WLS.. I had my first appointment with the Dietician first week of Dec'16, at Sunderland. They have taken stats, blood etc and I was told that they would have a meeting about my case, expect an appointment in the post to see their Psychologist & also await a 4-part course which I think is Tier3? I'm already being treated for Sleep Apnoea so don't need referrals for that..

Luckily I'm going through this whole process with my Mam & we are both at the same stage which is great, but we are still like deers in headlights & craving more information!!!

Plus the panic of weight gain over Christmas:eek: ahhh... just wondered if any1 has any info they can give us on waiting times, or advise on pre-op weight loss.. or if your at the same stage it would be good to help each other..

Thanks

Angeline

Hello....

I'm a newbie here, having just started the ball rolling Sept'16.. I've been referred by my GP, attended an intial Group Seminar which I then opted in for WLS.. I had my first appointment with the Dietician first week of Dec'16, at Sunderland. They have taken stats, blood etc and I was told that they would have a meeting about my case, expect an appointment in the post to see their Psychologist & also await a 4-part course which I think is Tier3? I'm already being treated for Sleep Apnoea so don't need referrals for that..

Luckily I'm going through this whole process with my Mam & we are both at the same stage which is great, but we are still like deers in headlights & craving more information!!!

Plus the panic of weight gain over Christmas:eek: ahhh... just wondered if any1 has any info they can give us on waiting times, or advise on pre-op weight loss.. or if your at the same stage it would be good to help each other..

Thanks

Hiya hunny and welcome xx

Isn't that great that you and your mam are going though this together xxx From having bloods I had to wait a while (8mth-1yr) but other then PCOS I don't have any other health issues ...that I know of!!!!!!! The other lovely ladies and gentleman in my group have all gone for surgery bar one I found out this week but they did have other health issues xxx

One thing I have noticed that every hospital and consultant is different so is quite a unique experience reading up on here. Ive got my bypass on 19th January so both excited and nervous lol!!!!

I gained a little at Christmas but got back on it again and now Im on the pre op diet so have to be good !!!! lol xxxxx

Misheemee

My gp has just referred me for Sunderland so keen to hear how everyone gets in as it will give me a better idea of what to expect. I have been part way through yhe process about 4/5yrs back but discontinued so I'm expecting a lot may have changed since then. I read on here from someone else that Sunderland doesn't do tier three? But then also read they do. I just want to get on with it this time ....

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
My gp has just referred me for Sunderland so keen to hear how everyone gets in as it will give me a better idea of what to expect. I have been part way through yhe process about 4/5yrs back but discontinued so I'm expecting a lot may have changed since then. I read on here from someone else that Sunderland doesn't do tier three? But then also read they do. I just want to get on with it this time ....

Take what you read on here with a pinch of salt and do some research of your own @Misheemee. As you have already seen there will be differing journeys and this, yours, will no doubt be different again xx

A quick google and I found this information:

http://chsft.nhs.uk/our-services/bariatric-surgery/

Becpaul2016

I've just found this forum as I'm looking for people who as also going through Sunderland hospital for wls :) I had my first seminar in September then did my group sessions and psychology appointment which created a muck up as they accidentlysent me through to a diabetes doctor instead first who I didn't need to see and then waited months more for my referral for the psychologist. coincidentally in my group sessions there was a mother and daughter also doing it together (maybe yourselves even).

I've had the outcome of my mdt meeting and I've been referred for my first appointment with the surgeon on the 4th. have you possibly had that appointment yet?

I'm nervously excited to see if it's all going ahead as there was a query before the mdt that they may not have approved me due to my bmi being in the lower group but apparently this is all ok as they must have classified the health issues as enough to warrant the surgery.

I hope you and your mam are both getting on well with your pathway!

any advice if you have made it further than me would be great please :)

x x

Kelly184

I've just found this forum as I'm looking for people who as also going through Sunderland hospital for wls :) I had my first seminar in September then did my group sessions and psychology appointment which created a muck up as they accidentlysent me through to a diabetes doctor instead first who I didn't need to see and then waited months more for my referral for the psychologist. coincidentally in my group sessions there was a mother and daughter also doing it together (maybe yourselves even).

I've had the outcome of my mdt meeting and I've been referred for my first appointment with the surgeon on the 4th. have you possibly had that appointment yet?

I'm nervously excited to see if it's all going ahead as there was a query before the mdt that they may not have approved me due to my bmi being in the lower group but apparently this is all ok as they must have classified the health issues as enough to warrant the surgery.

I hope you and your mam are both getting on well with your pathway!

any advice if you have made it further than me would be great please :)

x x
Hi I'm going through Sunderland and onto the final stages....my camera appointment is 4th September and Dr Carr said up to 12 weeks later for surgery or sooner....the ward said 6 months waiting list so who do I believe. I just want it done now . How long did you have to wait until you got the surgery done from camera

Becpaul2016

Hi kelly,

It’s an 18 week waiting list from camera roughly but Christmas causes havok! I saw the surgeon on the 4th October and had my camera about 4 weeks after and didn’t get my op until the 3rd March this year and am almost 6 months post op now. I would bank on it taking 18 weeks as that’s what it’s taking for most people. Think it worked out as between 17 or 18 weeks but I was lucky and got a last minute cancellation with 13 days notice. My friend is currently 9 weeks into the waiting list and when she called the other day to see if they had a rough idea they wouldn’t even check where she was on the list and just said it would be at least 18 weeks. Another friend had her endo about a week after me but didn’t get her surgery until about 21 weeks after endo and hers was a cancellation too. My advice would be to expect at least 18 weeks and if it’s any sooner then it will be a bonus :) once it’s done you will not believe how quick it goes! It’s nearly a year since I saw the surgeon and booked my endo!

Good luck with your journey x x x

Kelly184

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping because the surgeon said up to 12 weeks after the camera or sooner that it would be that but if it's an 18 week wait he shouldn't have said that to give me false hope .

Last edited by a moderator:

Becpaul2016

It’s really annoying, the surgeon tells everyone 2 to 3 months and the secretaries go mad because it’s them that ends up dealing with the patients who think that because the surgeon said it it must be right but I’ve not seen anyone before at least 16 weeks wait from endo. You may get lucky but I would definitely bank on 18 weeks to not be disappointed . Will keep my fingers crossed for you x x x

Kelly184

It’s really annoying, the surgeon tells everyone 2 to 3 months and the secretaries go mad because it’s them that ends up dealing with the patients who think that because the surgeon said it it must be right but I’ve not seen anyone before at least 16 weeks wait from endo. You may get lucky but I would definitely bank on 18 weeks to not be disappointed . Will keep my fingers crossed for you x x x
Thanks. Went for the camera and they've found a hiatus hernia so I can't have the sleeve done and have to have the rny instead which I didn't want. Mr balapuri said it's safer and he's going to repair the hernia while I'm down. I was given my consent form and pre op diet book and told to go home and wait for a phone call

Bling Babe

Thanks. Went for the camera and they've found a hiatus hernia so I can't have the sleeve done and have to have the rny instead which I didn't want. Mr balapuri said it's safer and he's going to repair the hernia while I'm down. I was given my consent form and pre op diet book and told to go home and wait for a phone call
So pleased your nearly there, I was exactly the same as you, I wanted a sleeve but after the camera a hernia was found so I too had to have a bypass and had my hernia repaired at the same time........I love my pouch and I have no regrets so try not to worry too much, can I ask for what reason you wanted a sleeve ? Xx

Kelly184

So pleased your nearly there, I was exactly the same as you, I wanted a sleeve but after the camera a hernia was found so I too had to have a bypass and had my hernia repaired at the same time........I love my pouch and I have no regrets so try not to worry too much, can I ask for what reason you wanted a sleeve ? Xx
It was the recovery time to get back to work quicker with the sleeve. I am a kitchen porter and the place is understaffed. Plus I don't feel comfortable with them messing about with intestines and my bowel x

Bling Babe

Is it actually quicker to recover? I honestly think everyone is different regardless of which surgery they have, I was really good for about 3 weeks then I hit a wall and suffered quite badly with chronic lethargy until week 7, had 8 weeks of altogether....but there are others on here who have been able to get back to work within weeks even with a bypass. I really wish you luck x

Maria61

Welcome Kelly. I always wanted a bypass as I have reflux and also wanted the dumping syndrome which you can get in order to keep me on the straight and narrow. In the end it was definitely the best choice for me as the surgeon found I also had a hiatus hernia which he repaired. I wish you good luck xxxx

Lazylisa

Hi I'm going through Sunderland and onto the final stages....my camera appointment is 4th September and Dr Carr said up to 12 weeks later for surgery or sooner....the ward said 6 months waiting list so who do I believe. I just want it done now . How long did you have to wait until you got the surgery done from camera

Hi Kelly have you heard anything else about the waiting list? You must be pretty close to my timings and I'm also at SRH! I had my endoscopy on the 13th September and I'm also on the waiting list now. I haven't been given any time frame on how long this will take, but I've been sent the pre op booklet and asked to attend a group Dietician appointment xx