• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

b12 injections

Going to see my GP next week for bloods and as far as I know the B12 injection. Could do with it, also have M.E so get tired anyway but I feel my legs are like jelly sometimes.

Probably a stupid question but is the B12 injection just a jab in the upper arm?

Yes, just a quick jab, some people say it hurts but I never feel a thing.
Lynne x

Yes upper arm dont feel the prick just the stuff going in sometimes stings a bit nothing to worry about according to my hubby!

the nurse at the hospital injected me bum .........intermuscular jab apparently

or was it the nurses preference :eek:

Im 2 years out and not had a B12 jab yet. My bloods have been tested at each visit to Walsall Manor and they have not shown that I need a jab yet.

You can get B12 supplements but ONLY use the SUBLINGUAL supplements (under the tongue), as B12 in tablet form is destroyed by the stomach acid, making absorption very poor. I bought some a few days ago (i havent had surgery but was feeling very tired and lethargic), and WOW i am now full of beans! These are the ones i bought;
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

B12 deficiency can be linked to many things, so its important to make sure you keep your levels up! I have read on a different (sleeve) forum that some people take them all the time. With me, i am hoping it sorts out my brain fog and eyesight when driving in the dark!

Vitamin B12 deficiency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was told it was a necessity too. I have mine every 2 months as I do get tired by then....which reminds me - I must book an appointment!

I am 11 weeks post-op and never had one. Just had my bloods checked and B12 was in normal limits. I have been told I will only get the injection if my bloods are low.

just been for my b12. got there nurse said i looked very well considering i only had my HEART BYPASS 4 weeks today , i explained it was gastric bypass not heart she said ohhh i didnt read the whole letter just glanced bypass asumed it was heart OMG i thought. then she explained she cant give me injections as it has to be the doctor first time and that i get it gradually 2 to 3 times week for first couple weeks then next time it will be just one injection. panicking with fear or needles i informed her i was told it only one injection and nurse did it. she said please excuse me i need to ask advice from receptionist . sat waiting could hear her asking if they could check procedure info and will re schedule my appointment . HOW shocking is this lol . i sharp left. SO is it a one jab or is it gradual jabs anyone know ?

Definitely 1 jab for WLS patients. These graduated ones are given to people with pernicious anaemia. Panic over ... sounds like your nurse needs some retraining, lol xxx :):)

Im no expert Maz, but I believe a loading dose is given if someones B12 is low - such as in PA cases as mentioned by Denise, but if its more of a maintenance dose then its usually 1 every 3 months.

However as I said earlier in the thread, Ive not had to have any jabs so I'm not talking from experience, just from my own research.

Hi Mazbrad i had my 1st B12 last thursday ( 29 sept) my next one is due in december, i felt i needed it because i just wanted to sleep all the time and had no energy, but now 3 days later i dont want to sleep all the time but i still dont feel as though i have any energy, hope your keeping well xxxxxx

The dietician telephoned me when I got home and told me that I didn't have to wait until three months post op, I could have it before that if I wanted.

I will be making an appointment to see my GP for another sick note when this 2 week one runs out and will ask for it then. :)

I had my B12 injection on Friday and it has definitely given me a energy boost...I am having another this month, also November and then GP will decide where to go from there.

Yes Emma, you definately need to speak to your team about them.
Lynne x

just been for my b12. got there nurse said i looked very well considering i only had my HEART BYPASS 4 weeks today , i explained it was gastric bypass not heart she said ohhh i didnt read the whole letter just glanced bypass asumed it was heart OMG i thought. then she explained she cant give me injections as it has to be the doctor first time and that i get it gradually 2 to 3 times week for first couple weeks then next time it will be just one injection. panicking with fear or needles i informed her i was told it only one injection and nurse did it. she said please excuse me i need to ask advice from receptionist . sat waiting could hear her asking if they could check procedure info and will re schedule my appointment . HOW shocking is this lol . i sharp left. SO is it a one jab or is it gradual jabs anyone know ?
i had a 4 pint blood lose when i had my op so within 2 weeks of my bypass i had 6 jabs over a 2 week period it was mon wed fri then 1 every 3 months xxxxxxxxxx

I am booked in for next Tuesday for my B12 injection which will be three weeks post op. Went to see my GP today for a furthr sick note and he said that the tiredness/lightheadedness that I was feeling was the effects of major surgery and probably not the lack of B12, but no need to wait until it was low and to have it as soon as possible and keep up with it. :D

Back