• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bad breath!

emmakc

Hi everyone, my provider puts me on two weeks clear liquid then two weeks purée. I'm now 9 days post op and feeling much better. However, my darling hubby has told me a few times that my breath smells!

I realise that as I'm only consuming a handful of calories and limited to the amount I can drink that's probably why.

What I want to know is this normal and will it stop when I eat food again. I'm very nervous talking to people in case I have smelly breath!

Ps I'm no longer regretting it, but may change my mind again once I start struggling with solids lol

Yes it is the lack of calories and usually a result of high protein low carb too. Ketosis kicks in quite regularly and with that comes the bad breath. It gets better with time as you eat more but it can still happen occasionally, well it does to me. I battle it with upping how many times I brush my teeth and carrying a mini bottle of mouth wash with me. I occasionally have a sugar free mint too. No one else seems to notice it apart from my mum who I live with so I suppose she gets closer to me than most people. She only tends to notice it in the morning if I've not had much to eat. I never had bad breath before the surgery so it's is a bit annoying but you do get some warning signs and for me that is when my mouth taste a bit metallic and furry. I'll realise it's because I've gone too long without eating and have something then use the mouth wash. All better then. Hope this helps :) Glad you are feeling better and no longer regretting things, I promise that feeling will get stronger as time goes on and eventually you'll come to love your bypass :)

Back