• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tips please for post op liquid diet

gaelic girl

Loving Being a Loser
Hi
Hands up i'm struggling a bit have been very tearful last two days. Still feeling physically ok but mentally it's a bit different, did not realise how much my taste buds would be affected every "liquid i try doesn't taste as it should and i find the smells and cravings for solid food happening more and more. Think part of the problem is the obvious taking it easy and too much time on my hands makes you think more. I've tried to vary my liquid tastes as much as possible to see if anything hits the spot. Please don't take this as me being anyway ungrateful or ill prepared i am so grateful to have this chance to be and do everything i've dreamed of for so long but maybe i just underestimated the early post op stages. Any of your experiences or tips would be helpful thanks everyone xx

CCPM

Fighting on day by day
Yep I was exactly the same, spent hours making lovely soups, came home hated them all. Couldn't even bear the thought of them, spent ages pining for what I'd lost.

Sorry but all you can do is ride it out. Keep hydrated with whatever liquid you can sip on and keep trying different things. For me it passed at week 3 and I started to be able to get some soups down. We were allowed a rich tea biscuit which were my lifesaver but won't recommend that if they're not on your post op sheet.

It does pass just hold on, the anaesthetic can make you weepy post op and often doesn't fully leave your system for some weeks.

Take care, you will be fine

M

fairyringuk

free your spirit
Allie so sorry you are feeling a bit down. I think it is probably very understandable no matter how much you think you have prepared I am sure the reality it quite different.
Having said that it will get better I am sure of it, and you are a strong lady and will soon get it under your belt.
Chin up Allie its not forever you will soon be on sloppies........lol........every little helps!

Jay xx

vanilla-cupcake

Hi
Hands up i'm struggling a bit have been very tearful last two days. Still feeling physically ok but mentally it's a bit different, did not realise how much my taste buds would be affected every "liquid i try doesn't taste as it should and i find the smells and cravings for solid food happening more and more. Think part of the problem is the obvious taking it easy and too much time on my hands makes you think more. I've tried to vary my liquid tastes as much as possible to see if anything hits the spot. Please don't take this as me being anyway ungrateful or ill prepared i am so grateful to have this chance to be and do everything i've dreamed of for so long but maybe i just underestimated the early post op stages. Any of your experiences or tips would be helpful thanks everyone xx

You sound just like me 6 weeks ago only I was worse I actually regretted mine (how stupid)
I made the most delicious soup.....

Buy a bag of soup veg....
Boil a pot of water and put in soup mix and 2 chicken stock cubes, boil this for 30 minutes then add your veg and boil for another 50 minutes or until veg is soft, once its cooked add salt and pepper to taste, liquidise it with the hand blender and put it through a sieve

I ate mostly this for nearly 2 weeks, it was delicious and the children loved it to (without being put thru the sieve) I just made a massive pot and once it was cooked poured some into a seperate pot for me and it kept in the fridge for about 4 days and then I just made a new pot

The 1st two weeks are the hardest :sigh: believe me I felt like I was on deaths door but it will be over in no time and you'll soon be on sloppys (cottage pie was my fave for that) and you wont want to look at another pot of soup again!!!

I also had ww soups blended and put thru the sieve except for the tomato it didn't need blended

I did struggle for the two weeks as I dont like yoghurts etc

Good luck and just keep thinking of the weight thats going to fall of you!!

Rising_Sun

Chugging along
Hi Allie,

Yes, M is right. This seems to be one you just have to ride out. In my first week post-op, I found that I needed to go extra cold for my liquids to go down. I've never drunk cold, always tepid. Even in the summer I tended to add a splash of hot water to tap water just so as I can drink it. Nearing the end of second week now and I've managed a couple of half cups of redbush tea. Coffee tastes quite strange still. Luckily, I could do plain skim milk. Funny that as I've never liked the taste of raw milk.

So my only tip is: vary the temperature, sweetness or saltiness and see if it makes a difference.

topsy

Hi Allie - this is a horrible part of the post-op experience (sorry is shouldn't be so blunt) it's boring boring boring!!!!! Oh did i mention boring??? oh never mind

I found my taste buds had changed quite dramatically straight after my op - so i would have little tastes of everyone's drinks to see if i could tolerate them. Any low sugar squash with plenty of ice cubes was a fav, and i did enjoy fresh orange ice lollies by Del Monte very refreshing to get that horrible taste out of your mouth. I still had the sugar free jelly and just let it melt in my mouth, two of my fav soups were carrot and coriander and leek and potato (which Gary would put through a sieve) and then i had the stained soup. I did find alot of soups quite salty so after that i would have a small piece of sf polo - again to take the taste away. Fruit teas were also nice - especially the blackcurrant etc but lemon tea was a bit insipid (but have a little try of everything).

Hope this helps - i'm sure someone else will come along and give you some more ideas. Look after yourself - sending hugs and fairy dust to make you feel better xx

tinkywinky

SOOO HAPPY to be a loser!
Hi
sorry to hear your feeling a bit weepy. its a rollercoaster of emotions that finally catch up with you.
i survived on actimel drinks peppermint tea cold with loads of ice (helps with wind too) nas tropical squash and parsnip soup (lovely).
are you allowed slim fasts and do you like them??? what about low cal lollies - can you have them?? delmonte do fruity ones about 40 cals a lolly, they are nice.
best of luck with this stage its not for long but important for healing.
take care and hugs.

gaelic girl

Loving Being a Loser
Guys thank you so much for all the tips some of your ideas i have'nt tried so will give them a try. Kate thank you for the recipe will also make that too. I really am grateful to be part of this lovely gang because i would b so lost without all of you. I am a determined madam and will get there just a bit worse for the emotion just now x

candie

fabby not flabby :)
I had sugar free custards and sugar free angel delights, sf icepops and soups:D

tpt

Uber geek
Hi Allie - I actually enjoyed my liquids part - preferred it to the blended mush I am supposed to be on now (other than scrambled egg I stick to liquids - soups etc). I got the small tins of WW soups, then drained them in a sieve when heated - I found they worked for me (I was not doing any home cooking at that point) and I also love the Skinny Cow hot chocolate!! Give that a try!

I get the 'Little Stars' pure fruit jellies (and From Frais)- they go down well and hit the spot and skinny cow ice lollies.

It passes quickly then you will be on the mush stage - thank goodness I only have 4 days of it left! I am going to celebrate on my 1st squishy food day with Quorn Spag bog...oh yumm!!!

phatmomma

As a pre-op'er i have no helpful food hints and tips. But i can say you've had a potentially life changing operation, one which most people wonder of the mortality rate! You've came out the other side probably sore but very much alive! Your bound to be tearful, you made it girl! Now to the important thing, find something you like that you can eat and start being a big skinny loser xx

Bonita

That adjustment period is so tough but it will pass. Its a mixture of alsorts going on, Your taste buds are affected by both the surgery and the drugs so nothing will taste the same. Also your body has been through a very traumatic time and is probably telling you off a little too.

It will settle down as time goes on.

fuze

I have found that I can drink SF squash only as long as it is very cold so i have to add loads of ice cubes. It is strange how a few on here have been the same.

I have just been sticking to tomato soup and chicken soup about half a cup at a time (all strained) and a glass of semi skimmed milk (you should have semi skimmed for the first 2 weeks as it is full of fat soluble vitamins that you need whereas skimmed milk does not- i dont like semi skimmed i prefer skimmed but it has to be done!). And I have been having one protein shake a day (finally found one I like!). To be honest I tend to drink lots of SF squash with lots of ice cubes or no added sugar Vimto diluting juice with lots of ice cubes. I have found though that I find it hard to have very strong flavours as it can be a bit overpowering so I water things down alot more now.

Hope you are feeling better, it is a hard slog but you will get there eventually, im only 10 days post op and I cant believe how fantastic I feel, it took a good while till i felt like this but once all the drugs and medication are out of your system you will get there too!!!!

thinkbethin

Allie I'm so sorry you're still feeling tearful sweetheart. Post op blues are a right pain in the jacksie so don't beat yourself up about being tearful its just a natural feeling after have such major surgery. Hope the taste buds come back with some of the lovely suggestions you've hadxxx

32bme

Keeps on trying
Hi It will pass Its an emotion non of us enjoy feeling sad but glad you mentioned the relief as you came round fit and in the land of the living.Think every one of us go through so much fear of "what if "but often we dont voice it as we have deceided??/ advised to have surgery in the first place.
All my life i have battled, struggled,fought my weight.
I have also surrended,let go but result always the same i gain weight again and again after all my effort.
Even though my weight .b.m.i. is not as high as some.My fights emotions are all time and mentally consuming. You only have to read some on liquid diets saying the same.
At long last after yet another bout of weight loss for 6 months the weight is on the rise again.
Scared but now want a tool to help me for the next 15 years at least( thats the longest research done on a band to date)
Thinking of you, Mia