• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dad has had heart attack. Genetic?

wannabeminime

Just needed to vent somewhere.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

My dad had a heart attack last Wednesday, and 2 stents fitted immediately. I thought he was gonna be ok after that, but he has pulmonary oedema (fluid in the lungs), and left ventricular failure. He is on all sorts of meds to try to clear the lungs, but its not working. Today he is having a balloon pump fitted to temporarily pump for him. There is a chance he wont recover from this.

He has been a fit, active man, and not particularly overweight. He is 65. He has had no health issues at all.

Obviously it has crossed my mind about whether its genetic. There is a link i believe. :cry::cry:Another reason to do something about my weight.

Aw Hun so sorry bout ur dad hope he gets better soon xx ((( big hugs))) xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

That's awful - I hope he gets better soon. Big hugs x

so sorry hun xxx

Hope he gets better soon, very worrying time for you, I do feel for you and your family. Take care.

oh big hugs hun, hope your dad is better soon xxx

On my Mum's side of the family, quite a few of the *men* have had heart attacks and passed away between 45 - 60 yrs old, all before their time. It seems to have affected just the *men* (uncles, great uncles, grandfather, and a few male cousins and 2nd cousins of my mother).

The women (on my Mum's side) all had tendency to be overweight, but none have suffered heart problems.

I know I *should* have been more concerned before I reached 23½ stone (last year) but I think I always knew it was a hereditary fault on the 'male' line of that family that let me think "those things would not happen to me".

I never expected diabetes -- because not one single person (not even my 18 stone grandmother) ever suffered with that before ..... but of course my weight and years of excessive carbs overloading my pancreas tipped me over the edge on that one.

My younger brother -- who was also borderline obese in his late teens / early 20's the same as me -- took the family (male) threat of heart attacks more seriously despite having spent *most* of his 20's guzzling too much beer (men!) ..... he eventually grew out of it.

Nowadays he keeps to a moderate weight (slightly overweight) but does so by (a) not having breakfast, (b) very rarely having lunch (on work days), (c) having just one main evening meal per day and then as much beer as he likes (which nowadays is just 1 or 2) -- but not having brekkie and lunch allows him to do that !

Apologies for long ramble on previous post, Becky .... just that I know (a bit) what it is like to have hereditary problems in the family.

All of our thoughts are with you and your Dad -- I do hope he can pull through. xx

Best wishes,
Sharon

so sorry Becks hope he gets well soon xx

so sorry becky, hope he recovers soon, you and your family are in my thoughts xxx

I am so sorry that this has happened, Becky :cry: I too have this problem in my family, on my dad's side, & my brother died age 34.:cry: At this point we were all tested for any signs of the same genetic problem. Thankfully, I, my children & my brothers children are all clear, but it is still a worry it will raise its ugly head somewhere. :wave_cry: I really feel for you, lovely, but hopefully your dad will recover & you could ask to be tested if it is felt it could be genetic. Thinking of you, honey xxx :wave_cry:

Try to stay positive in this very worrying time. My dad had three heart atacks and is still with us today at the ripe old age of 86.
My thoughts are with you.
Lynne x

Thanks again everyone, it means a lot xxxx

He had a balloon pump fitted yesterday, to take over the pumping as is heart isnt doing it properly and it needs a rest. They can leave the balloon pump in for 72 hours max. So its wait and see now, hopefully the rest will give his heart a chance to get back to working normally again. xxx

As for the genetic thing, i may consider being tested for it, but i guess 65 isnt young and it isnt old either. Plus there is no one else in my family who has have a heart attack, and i know my cholesterol and BP is low as i had it checked last year, so i think i will be ok. I was in a panic when i wrote this thread.

Sorry to hear about your father Becky, he sounds as if they're taking good care of him.

My tip to anyone in hospital, going to hospital or with a love one in hospital is always carry a pen and paper, write down any questions you have and never be afraid to call the consultant and ask for a meeting, bedside is best as he can get the notes the are most up to date and chat to the ward staff as well if you need to clarify a conflict of information.

civvygit said:
Sorry to hear about your father Becky, he sounds as if they're taking good care of him.

My tip to anyone in hospital, going to hospital or with a love one in hospital is always carry a pen and paper, write down any questions you have and never be afraid to call the consultant and ask for a meeting, bedside is best as he can get the notes the are most up to date and chat to the ward staff as well if you need to clarify a conflict of information.

Hi civvy, youre absolutely right,thanks. I just wish he wasnt so far away. He is in galway ireland and i am in devon. The nurses have been speaking to me twice a day, and i spoke to the consultant last night, so i am trying to keep up to date but its not easy xx

That's horrible, I know exactly how you feel, I'm in London with my brother (48) in Glasgow dying of Cancer, I'm spending so much time traveling back and forward that my hubby feels like a single Dad!

Again, keep strong, keep focused and keep informed.

It's all you can do while waiting.

Take care, I'll light a candle for your Father tomorrow.

Back