• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band and Bypass - are they both "forever" options?

Dell

This is one thing I am struggling to find out from anywhere. I thought the bypass was a forever option, but didn't think the band was? I thought this was removed after you had finished losing weight.

Thanks.

Hi
No it is not removed unless there is a medical reason, if it were removed then I know the weight would then be put back on even though our minds are used to eating smaller meals.
I think that they last around 10-20 years and I am sure then they would just be replaced.
BYpass is however forever as one of your intestines is made quite a bit smaller to absorb less and your stomach is devided into two.
I have just added a website that I think explains it quite well :

Lap-Band vs. Gastric Bypass Surgery

good luck
x

There are some cases where the bypass has been reversed, its not straight forward but the bits are all still there. I dont know why anyone would actually want it reversed I certainly dont...xx

the band is usually easily removable and iv heard of a few people that have asked there's to be removed so its def not forever in that sense but i know i want mine to stay there forever as once it removed id be able to eat more again

Hi
No it is not removed unless there is a medical reason, if it were removed then I know the weight would then be put back on even though our minds are used to eating smaller meals.
I think that they last around 10-20 years and I am sure then they would just be replaced.
BYpass is however forever as one of your intestines is made quite a bit smaller to absorb less and your stomach is devided into two.
I have just added a website that I think explains it quite well :

Lap-Band vs. Gastric Bypass Surgery

good luck
x

On that list it says the mortality rate is 1 -2000 for a band but 1- 200 for a bypass........is it really that high for a bypass!! that's pretty scary and makes me want to justhave a band even though i think a bypass would be a better solution for me.

The main issue with mortality rates and bypass is that if a patient dies within 12 months of the surgery then it goes on as a cause of death, which doesn't give accurate results. If you speak to your surgeon, he can give you a more accurate rate for his operations, and most of the surgeons who people on here have asked have lost only 1 or 2 patients (some none) in all their years.

Back