• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band out... what next?

Loobie Loo xx

Hello all

Ive not posted for a long time.. my story.. weighed just shy of 20st, had a band in 2009 had ups and downs with it but my weight was good at 13st although i had lost more but looked and felt ill at a lower weight. Long story short my weight started to increase and at the time was told had slipped and i needed surgery to readjust. I ended up having it removed as eroded. Devestated to say the least. That was nearly 3 years ago and although i have only put on a stone or so, now 16 st 9, i still am obese and i still have a daily fight with my weight 😩 so... whats the best solution? Im thinking a gastric sleeve? Im going to an open evening at the hospital i had the work done origunally but my surgeon no longer does bariatric surgery so back to square ind! Any advise very much appreciated. Thank you xx

Sarnie

Hello all

Ive not posted for a long time.. my story.. weighed just shy of 20st, had a band in 2009 had ups and downs with it but my weight was good at 13st although i had lost more but looked and felt ill at a lower weight. Long story short my weight started to increase and at the time was told had slipped and i needed surgery to readjust. I ended up having it removed as eroded. Devestated to say the least. That was nearly 3 years ago and although i have only put on a stone or so, now 16 st 9, i still am obese and i still have a daily fight with my weight 😩 so... whats the best solution? Im thinking a gastric sleeve? Im going to an open evening at the hospital i had the work done origunally but my surgeon no longer does bariatric surgery so back to square ind! Any advise very much appreciated. Thank you xx
Hiya, sorry to hear you've had problems with your band, you do hear a lot if this though with the band sadly. I had RNY Gastric Bypass after doing a lot of research. That really is all you can do, is do the research and decide which is best for you, no one can really decide that for you other than a surgeon. When you find a surgeon see what his recommendation for you is, it will also depend on the state of your insides after the erosion, there will likely be lots of scar tissue to deal with, they might not be able to do a bypass, it will depend on a lot of things. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

Loobie Loo xx

Hiya, sorry to hear you've had problems with your band, you do hear a lot if this though with the band sadly. I had RNY Gastric Bypass after doing a lot of research. That really is all you can do, is do the research and decide which is best for you, no one can really decide that for you other than a surgeon. When you find a surgeon see what his recommendation for you is, it will also depend on the state of your insides after the erosion, there will likely be lots of scar tissue to deal with, they might not be able to do a bypass, it will depend on a lot of things. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.
Hiya.. thanks for the reply. Yes I need to speak to a surgeon in more depth, thinking I will contact the chap that originally took my band out, hopefully he has my records still and we can see what my options are. Must admit a bypass frightens me to death! Thanks for taking the time. 😁

Bling Babe

Hello all

Hiya, I’m so sorry the band didn’t work for you, we do seem to hear a lot about band problems, as @Sarnie says research is the absolute best advice I can give, but it’s also a good idea to take advice from your surgeon, good luck, keep in touch xx

Loobie Loo xx

Hiya,
I have booked an appointment with the surgeon that took my band out, he will have my records and obviously a good idea of any damage, then I will be able to make some informed decisions and research. Thanks for the guidance. 😁 xx

Bling Babe

Hiya,
I have booked an appointment with the surgeon that took my band out, he will have my records and obviously a good idea of any damage, then I will be able to make some informed decisions and research. Thanks for the guidance. 😁 xx
Good luck

Sarnie

Thanks Ladies... tomorrow is the day! 😊
Good luck, don't be scared of the bypass, it's not that bad, I was scared of the band and all the horror stories I read about that lol x

Loobie Loo xx

Helloooo
Meeting went well, he is recommending the bypass, given that i will have scare tissue from the band the sleeve could leak. If i decided on the sleeve he would do it on the understanding that when he dud the surgery he may do a bypass due to the extend of scaring, so my thinking is why put myself through that i may as well go for the bypass.... eeeeekkkkk!!! Xx

Bling Babe

Helloooo
Meeting went well, he is recommending the bypass, given that i will have scare tissue from the band the sleeve could leak. If i decided on the sleeve he would do it on the understanding that when he dud the surgery he may do a bypass due to the extend of scaring, so my thinking is why put myself through that i may as well go for the bypass.... eeeeekkkkk!!! Xx
Great xx

Loobie Loo xx

Hey ladies

So latest update... I’ve booked, I need to get a handle on this weight, I’m 50 in a few months and when I was 39 I had the band with the same attitude of once and for all getting my weight stabilised long term. To be honest I’m sick to death of permanently being in the roller coaster. So being brave, bypass booked for 5th May!! 😱😱xx

Hi Loobie Loo - glad you’ve got that booked. I’m only 12 days post-bypass but I can say it wasn’t nearly as bad as I’d feared. I was terrified but I needn’t have been - there’s a bit of pain for a day or two but I’m not even taking painkillers now! Mentally I’m still adjusting but like you say, it’s a relief to be off that bloody roller coaster x

Loobie Loo xx

Well done littlebigwoman! Its a massive step, cant wait i feel so much better for making the decision. Glad you are doing well with little pain, best of luck, let the process begin! Xx

Bling Babe

Hey ladies

So latest update... I’ve booked, I need to get a handle on this weight, I’m 50 in a few months and when I was 39 I had the band with the same attitude of once and for all getting my weight stabilised long term. To be honest I’m sick to death of permanently being in the roller coaster. So being brave, bypass booked for 5th May!! 😱😱xx
Exciting times ahead for you. X

Sarnie

Hey ladies

Great news, not long to wait now x