• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band, sleeve or bypass??????????????

pollybree

Hi everyone, I am wondering which option I should go for? Obviously its up to the hospital in the end but have you got to tell them what you want 1st?? I am going to the seminar in Darlington Feb 26th I wonder what the recommendations would be for someone my size :confused:

It usually depends on your eating habbits, but you can choose which you would prefer.

You haven't got to choose in advance - you can go with their recommendation/what the surgeon thinks would be best for you :) x

Yeah thats right usually tell them what you eat and how much, if you have medical problems, are you active etc. Then the lead nurse usually recommends to the surgeon what she thinks and thye will agree together what they think will be more suited to you. Thats what happened when I went to Srh. xx

Hi everyone, I am wondering which option I should go for? Obviously its up to the hospital in the end but have you got to tell them what you want 1st?? I am going to the seminar in Darlington Feb 26th I wonder what the recommendations would be for someone my size :confused:

All I can tell you is my decision process... I decided against the band as I would have eaten around it and I also have a fear of needles so the fills were a no no! After a lot of research I had decided on the sleeve as seen amazing results for less drastic surgery. BUT when I met my surgeon (NHS so not for financial gain) he said that he did a lot of sleeve to bypass conversions so he put it to me that if going under the knife for major surgery why not go for the most effective and the gold standard in bariatrics?
He also said the decision was mine.
I have since changed my mind to bypass to give myself the best chance of success. But that doesn't mean that the sleeve and band are not successful coz this site is a testament to great successes. This is just how I've decided. Good luck x

Hi I wanted a sleeve but due to a hernia may have to have a bypass, been waiting that long would be happy with either! I think looking at the menus people post help x

Agree with Rudders, did an immense amount of research. Initially wanted sleeve but after speaking with an extremely reputable surgeon he recommended a bypass,
Less risk of reflux prob, less chance of leaks, more chance of increased weightloss.
There will always be exceptions to these but it helped me make the best decision of my life, nearly 5 months on and 6 stones down I love love my bypass xxxxxx

Hi

As said by the others above, of the tree options the Bypass does have the highest success rate, with the sleeve in second and the band in third.

Before the NHS started funding WLS the Band was very popular because it was a the least invasive from a surgical point of view and the least expensive. It was also popular with new WLS surgeons as it is much easier to do than the other types.

One thing I will say is if you are a type 2 diabetic the its a no brainer as the bypass has a good chance of fixing that.

Paul

I'm changing from Band to Bypass, I can't quite explain it it the Sleeve freaks me out.

They are each as effective as you want them to be in different ways so make your choice on your eating habits, the medical staff probably know best.

All of the procedures work if you get your diet right after surgery, its the surgeons work helping you lose weight in the 1st year or so. After this the real hard work starts and if you haven't sorted out your eating in the golden year then weight gain will probably happen.
So whatever they recommend its down to you to put the right food in your mouth and i think thats the hard part!

Kim

New to this thread

Hi all, I have my third appointment at North Staffs Royal Infirmary on Tuesday I have been told the Op will be in March. Hope I get a date.
I had my first appointment on the 15th Oct 12
(My mums birthday and also the day we found out we are going to be grandparents)
I had my second appointment on the 20th Dec 12
And my third appointment on the 29th Jan 13

So if I have my Op March I will be in and out in 5 months. Not bad.

So hi and hope you are all well. Xxx

Back