• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Banded and needing advice!

Happydays

Hi Everyone. Well I had my band fitted at the RVI in Newcastle and everything went perfectly. I am now 12 days on and worried!!!!! I feel as if I have not been for the op,. In fact I have to keep pulling my jumper up to remind myself that I've had the op. All restriction due to inflammation has gone and now I feel HUNGRY. I am following the dietary guidelines but you are only allowed 3 tbs per meal of pureed food which doesn't fill in any way. Do you think everything inside is ok? Is this what usually happens before you have fills? I will not be having my first fill for another 6 weeks :eek: Any suggestions welcome. Is this just a stage to be got through? Many Thanks

Hi Happydays - sorry don`t know your name.

Why have they given such a small amount for your soft food stage, no wonder your feeling the hunger, check that you are reading it correctly. And if you are then according to the guidelines in the `Bariatric cookery` book you should be having 4-6 small meals a day.
Eat slowly and stop eating as soon as you feel full, (if you carry on eating it may cause your pouch to stretch). Remember your new pouch is only about the size of an egg cup.
Have you been getting enough variety of soft foods?
I used to feel quite full after 2 eggs scrambled. Have a standby of sugar free jellies in the fridge, half a pint of jelly would be enough for 4 yogurt pots. Have some plain yogurts in the fridge as a snack also, I found that the yoplait lemon yogurts were a good taste, but find what you like.
When I cooked a meal like shepherds pie, I would blend a small amount, perhaps half a tea plate amount, and that was lovely with a dessertspoon of gravy. Also puree some carrots or swede for added veg.
Cauliflower cheese or mashed potato with small amount of grated cheese can be really tasty.

The main thing is making sure you are drinking at least 2litres of liquid a day. Either water or sugar-free juices, and don`t forget to not drink either side of meals. I found it difficult to drink as much as they recommended, but when you say that you feel hungry, quite often a drink will stave off the hunger, and you realise you were`nt as hungry as you thought.

Very soon you will be going onto the crunchy food stage and it is important to remember from this point that you will be selecting the food you will eat for the rest of your life. The dieticians recommend protein 1st, you only will need a small piece and choose meats that are low fat or fat free and have no skin on like chicken or turkey. Chop into tiny pieces (pencil rubber type size, don`t forget how small your pouch is) next will be your veg, then carbs last. Whatever you eat from now on take your time to chew thoroughly and make your meal last as long as you can.

You probably have had all this information all ready; and I don`t wish to reiterate what you already know, but sometimes it is a good idea to refresh yourself as reminders to keep you in the right direction.

I hope it all makes some sense to you, I don`t have all the answers, neither do I pretend to, but I know what works for me and you will soon realise what works for you.
This stage is only for a short while, the next stage lasts the rest of your life.

Take care hun x

Love and Best Wishes Kat x

Hello . Feeling hungry after the initial op and swelling is quite normal as u havent had a fill as yet and there for have no restriction as yet has been reached. I was advised to eat 3 times a day and I ate until I felt full and then stopped. HTH Julie xx

Hi Happydays - sorry don`t know your name.

Why have they given such a small amount for your soft food stage, no wonder your feeling the hunger, check that you are reading it correctly. And if you are then according to the guidelines in the `Bariatric cookery` book you should be having 4-6 small meals a day.
Eat slowly and stop eating as soon as you feel full, (if you carry on eating it may cause your pouch to stretch). Remember your new pouch is only about the size of an egg cup.
Have you been getting enough variety of soft foods?
I used to feel quite full after 2 eggs scrambled. Have a standby of sugar free jellies in the fridge, half a pint of jelly would be enough for 4 yogurt pots. Have some plain yogurts in the fridge as a snack also, I found that the yoplait lemon yogurts were a good taste, but find what you like.
When I cooked a meal like shepherds pie, I would blend a small amount, perhaps half a tea plate amount, and that was lovely with a dessertspoon of gravy. Also puree some carrots or swede for added veg.
Cauliflower cheese or mashed potato with small amount of grated cheese can be really tasty.

The main thing is making sure you are drinking at least 2litres of liquid a day. Either water or sugar-free juices, and don`t forget to not drink either side of meals. I found it difficult to drink as much as they recommended, but when you say that you feel hungry, quite often a drink will stave off the hunger, and you realise you were`nt as hungry as you thought.

Very soon you will be going onto the crunchy food stage and it is important to remember from this point that you will be selecting the food you will eat for the rest of your life. The dieticians recommend protein 1st, you only will need a small piece and choose meats that are low fat or fat free and have no skin on like chicken or turkey. Chop into tiny pieces (pencil rubber type size, don`t forget how small your pouch is) next will be your veg, then carbs last. Whatever you eat from now on take your time to chew thoroughly and make your meal last as long as you can.

You probably have had all this information all ready; and I don`t wish to reiterate what you already know, but sometimes it is a good idea to refresh yourself as reminders to keep you in the right direction.

I hope it all makes some sense to you, I don`t have all the answers, neither do I pretend to, but I know what works for me and you will soon realise what works for you.
This stage is only for a short while, the next stage lasts the rest of your life.

Take care hun x

Love and Best Wishes Kat x

Great advice hun, i know were to come if i need any advice x

Hi everyone Thanks for the suggestions. Anyway I'm feeling a lot better. I went onto the next stage of eating a few days early. ie mashed food . I also started watching when I was drinking. This has helped immensely and I am aware that my band is in place! I get a slight tight feeling in my chest when it is time to stop eating. I have also upped the portions slightly and this seems to be working well. I feel a lot more confident. I am due to speak to my dietician in 3 days.
I do have a problem with eating slowly and would welcome any tips on how to slow down. I am used to inhaling my food!!!
Leigh xx

To slow my eating down i use a toddlers fork or spoon and this has worked a treat for me hope this helps

Back