• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Banded last week

Mishy

Hello, new to WLS thought I would share my journey so far. Might start a diary instead.

I was very anxious because I had not followed the pre-op diet. I nearly cancelled my op, but had paid and thought its now or never. Day 6 today. I seem to have recovered well following anaesthesia. Not experienced nausea or trapped wind etc, my dressings were changed yesterday and they are healing well. Just a little discomfort when I get up but otherwise no pain. I have not taken pain relief since I got home from hospital. Bowel movements ok. I'm going back to work tomorrow.
I'm on the look out and 'waiting' for something to go amiss. really surprised its gone so well so far. First weigh in tomorrow. I hope the scales are encouraging too.

I must admit I have been too anxious to eat because I don't want to displace the band. Improved in the last two days, eating or rather drinking every 3 hours. Mainly soups, tea and milkshake. I did have some quivers crisps because I needed to chew something - hope no damage was done.

Mishy, welcome to banded life . . .but it is a way of life that you have to follow your guidelines and change the way you eat. If you're struggling at this point not to follow those guidelines get in touch with your provider to get extra help and support.

We are placed onto guidelines in terms of what we can or cannot eat with the band for good reason, just as with other types of surgery.

If you are really concerned about not displacing the band or causing issues then you really need to follow these guidelines. This really rings alarm bells and would potentially suggest that you need some extra support with the choice you've made to have weight loss surgery.

It is hard, and we have all been there, but for your own health and well being, for your band to work, but more so for you to be ok, follow your guidelines, otherwise potentially in the longer term it could cause you issues, slippages, blockages, stretching pouches and that is something we are all as banders able to make the choice to do and to avoid.

Its in your hands . . .use this time to try and get focussed because its a long journey and one that isn't always easy :)

Thank you for the encouragement and advise top_kat. It is a new journey and a difficult one too. I was too scared to eat because of the fear of displacing my band through vomiting. From reading some posts I thought most people had problems after anaesthetic operation, so survived on few sips of water and soup in the first days. Now I am having 200 ml portion of either milkshake or blended soup three times a day, 2 cups tea and 1.5l water spaced throughout the day. Apart from the quavers, no solid food has passed my lips. I shouldn't have given in to them.
I was advised per-op diet of low fat not liquids. It was only seeing some threads on here 4 days before surgery that I learnt about liquid diet for 2 weeks before hand. I hope most people know about the liquid diet because it prepares you for life after band.
Work was fine. I was anxious about going back so early, luckily was ok.
I love this forum and look forward to walking this journey with the amazing people on wls
P.s 10lb off in the first week. Whoop whoop!

mishy, well done on the weight loss - isn't it great :)

It sounds as if you're doing ok with amounts at this time, 200mls tends to be a portion size that doesn't cause issues :)

I'm glad you got on ok at work and that things are going ok - if you need anything, if you need some help, or just moral support then please do send a message :)

Back