• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Been for my appointment and i'm having a...

hope2bthina

Band....I knew it would be a band not a bypass as i wanted..Mr super seems to think a band will work fine for me as i'm not that big(his words) he thinks i will loose 4 stone in the first year and the rest in the 2nd. Maybe i should've directed him here as it doesn't seem to be that simple :rolleyes:.

I have mixed feelings about it, so i am going to the support group later this month and taking my year in bander friend with me...She said she wouldn't have had it done if she knew how bad it made her feel, and doesn't advise me to. I'm hoping someone else will give me some positives :sigh:.
I should be all happy i am finally getting an op which i have wanted for years..yet feel kinda deflated.

I sound really ungrateful i'm not, but i do wonder where the willpower that's needed with a band comes from? I haven't had any to date cos i'm still fat :p. Any insight? x x

Were you totally honest with him and tell him that you dont want a band, you really would prefer a bypass and could he please give you one? Or did you just go along with what he said?
You really do have to be comfy with the decision because its YOUR life and YOUR body and surely if you told him what you truly want then he would do the surgery that YOU feel best about?!
Steph xx

I'm suprised as your eating habits suit a bypass more but most banders do lose 4 stone on average in the first year. Perhaps there is another good reason for him to suggest a band for you?
I have crappy will power but I still lost weight in my first year...on a wing and a prayer and not being on here much to guide me...but it is possible.
Discuss your fears with him and see what is said further

I asked him if he did not think a bypass would be better for me being as i'm diabetic. He said he thought a band was a more safe operation and would be great for my diabeties etc and as i was not that big it would be great for me. I wasn't asked about my eating habits or anything. I did say i'm a chocoholic so i thought bypass would be better and his response was " well it's not good to eat chocolate when your diabetic" lol....really!! i was a tad stumped after that.

I'm happy to have a band if it will work. I suppose it will work if i work with it..i will have to find some self control from somewhere x

I agree with Steph were you honest with your eating habits, you may not be that big in his eyes but if you feel there is a danger a band might not work for you personally you should tell him. I was told i wasn't that heavy? either but when i told my surgeon about my grazing habits he too knew a band wouldn't work for me! Don't be afraid to ask for another meeting with him to discuss this further. I can't give you any tips or insight into being a bander as i have a bypass but i hope you get what you really want and just wanted to say good luck xx

Ahhh I see, perhaps he assumed you just avoid choc being diabetic (which is the ideal but I know it's not as easy in reality if you are an addict)
He said about it being safer too. Go to the support meeting and just ask people...is your friend diabetic? Her experiences are not necessarily going to be the same for you.
A lot of banders do great but the problem is they tend to leave the site and so you don't get the balanced view of banding.
That's why I've been trying to get more to post...only the bad stuff is talked about and I think it makes people feel success is not possible without a bypass...it is though, harder at first but not impossible..and bypasses fail too if you don't change your habits anyway.

i was offered a band and nothing else, i wasnt even given a choice....no one evr asked me what my eating habits were like..and although i was under and still am under dr super, not once did i get too meet him....

Thanks folks, i will go to the meeting and seek out some succesful banders. The dietician didn't help either really she said" who likes cakes, biscuits, chocolate and crisps" we all said we liked them all..her reply " well you can eat all of these with a band" shouldn't really of told me that!!.

I'm not a patient person so i think that puts me off the band. I want the op and to wake up skinny and non diabetic..which wouldn't happen with bypass or band ;) x

Your BMI is way lower than mine...and I'm 2 years out. I think you underestimate yourself a bit.
When you have the op you find you can't eat as much and maybe that alone will help you want to change your habits.
When you see the weight begin to come off you might find you actually like the feeling of being in control and can stick to healthy smaller portions a lot easier.
I have treats still and I try and work them in to my plan by having them once a week.
It's not too terrible and I think you can lose your excess with a band even if you don't yet trust yourself.
Put it this way, this is an opportunity to change , change is scary but stopping eating all that sugar is vital for your health as a diabetic and someone who wants to lose weight.
Why not go for it and drop the crap that's making you ill and is so potentially dangerous for you anyway?
What the dietician said was daft...being able to eat choc etc is not really a good thing with a band (I should know right?)
I know what you want is a bypass but what I am saying is you can do it with a band if you really want it xxxx
I hope you can get some further answers by talking to banders.

Neen you are right..i need to do this..maybe i'm using the band as an excuse for failure as i'm scared i wont be able to do it myself..i have a feeling i'll be seeking you out alot..you have done so well xx

My surgeon met me and said that even though I wasnt one of the complicated heavier patients, with my PCOS and diabetes a bypass would work best for me and it did, my PCOS symptoms have lessened and my diabetic doctor had the pleasure of saying to me last week "I dont get to say this...but...you are cured"...I havent had any meds since the pre-op diet and I am thrilled. Being diabetic he should SO have offered a bypass. How about you email his secretary and ask her to pass on a note to him asking him could he please change to a bypass and state your reasons why. If my surgeon had offered me a band I would still be fat because for me it was a bypass, sleeve or nothing.
Steph xx

Back